Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Net results of Geelong trades with GC last 4 years:

Out :
Pick 52
Pick 64
Pick 56 (Future 3rd 2023)

* 27 was traded in from GC then back out for 11 from GC if I remember correctly, cancelling it out.

In :
Pick 11
Pick 7
Pick 10 (Jack Bowes)

Geelong Effective Total Points Out : 1178
Geelong Effective Total Points In : 4938

Net points surplus: 3760 (equivalent to picks 16, 17 & 18 or picks 6 & 7)

Who at HQ is signing off this rort? Should be an investigation.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting that Danger and Mackie sat down months ago to formally discuss a player who had two years to run on his contract and is a Queenslander playing for a club in Queensland.

It’s as if they had inside word that the Suns salary cap was about to bust and they’d need to offload someone in a fire sale, not to mention who would be on the table.

Great foresight by the cats…

Before answering that there are bigger questions around the type of organisation the AFL actually is. Is it an ethical, good “quality” organisation as you put it? Is being headhunted by the AFL any indication of a persons quality? I don’t think it is. The AFL doesn’t want any Tigers on the books because we aren’t boring soulless administrators and we conduct ourselves ethically and authentically.
So tin foil hat reasons no worries

Interesting that Danger and Mackie sat down months ago to formally discuss a player who had two years to run on his contract and is a Queenslander playing for a club in Queensland.

It’s as if they had inside word that the Suns salary cap was about to bust and they’d need to offload someone in a fire sale, not to mention who would be on the table.

Or maybe just maybe there was a player who went from the Suns to Geelong that told them to keep an eye on a youngster that impressed him while he was there and told them to keep an eye on him and see if he was gettable

Dec 20, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal

It was Ablett that said we should into Bowes.

Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

What do you reckon Dodoro is doing on the phone in that profile pic of yours? That is how this game works.

Player agents are the go-between for clubs to sound out info like this.

i think a good change to remove this occurring again is that the player in question needs to pick say 3 clubs of choice. GC are a disaster but at least allowing others to negotiate means this isn't just a total ream job for a single club.

picking 1 and only doing the deal with one is stinky in this situation.

can't fault geelong for it though. 100% legal and well done to them.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Net results of Geelong trades with GC last 4 years:

Out :
Pick 52
Pick 64
Pick 56 (Future 3rd 2023)

* 27 was traded in from GC then back out for 11 from GC if I remember correctly, cancelling it out.

In :
Pick 11
Pick 7
Pick 10 (Jack Bowes)

Geelong Effective Total Points Out : 1178
Geelong Effective Total Points In : 4938

Net points surplus: 3760 (equivalent to picks 16, 17 & 18 or picks 6 & 7)

Who at HQ is signing off this rort? Should be an investigation.

Well they are busy at the moment investigating Hawthorn.

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Congrats to Geelong fans but can you all just promise me not to forget this in a few years time when everyone is saying isn't it amazing how Geelong have managed to stay relevant and not bottom out like other clubs.

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Can anyone confirm that the below info is correct? If so then I retract any criticism I made about the deal. Honestly them getting Pick 7 is just good business on their end but it was previously implied Bowes turned a 2 year 1.5m contract into a 4 year 1.5m contract (effectively playing for free for 2 years). The playing for free was in reality the biggest issue with the trade but that may not be true if the below is accurate

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Can anyone confirm that the below info is correct? If so then I retract any criticism I made about the deal. Honestly them getting Pick 7 is just good business on their end but it was previously implied Bowes turned a 2 year 1.5m contract into a 4 year 1.5m contract (effectively playing for free for 2 years). The playing for free was in reality the biggest issue with the trade but that may not be true if the below is accurate

He was owed 1.6m..

So Geelong basically paying him what he is owed plus $150k a season ..

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
He was owed 1.6m..

2.2m - 1.6m = 600k

He gets his 1.6M + 2 extra years at 300k guaranteed. That's just quick maths. Alternatively he gets his 1.6 over two years at the Gold Coast by staying and likely gets delisted if he stays stuck in their reserves. The kid and his manager aren't stupid, regardless of what the conspiracy theorists here might try and suggest.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
2.2m - 1.6m = 600k

He gets his 1.6M + 2 extra years at 300k guaranteed. That's just quick maths. Alternatively he gets his 1.6 over two years at the Gold Coast by staying and likely gets delisted if he stays stuck in their reserves. The kid and his manager aren't stupid, regardless of what the conspiracy theorists here might try and suggest.

600k/4 = $150k a season

FreddyTwoShoes

All Australian
May 1, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
600k/4 = $150k a season
Huh? You do realise Geelong have to pay the 1.6M as well, right?

The total deal (allegedly) is $2.2M from Geelong to Bowes for 4 years. Did you really think the cats weren't responsible for the 1.6M as well?

No wonder you think it's an outrageously good deal for Geelong.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Huh? You do realise Geelong have to pay the 1.6M as well, right?

The total deal (allegedly) is $2.2M from Geelong to Bowes for 4 years. Did you really think the cats weren't responsible for the 1.6M as well?

No wonder you think it's an outrageously good deal for Geelong.

From bowes perspective GC have dudded him 1.6m … Geelong have taken over this liability for pick 7… and agreed to pay it over 4years plus another $150k on average for the next 4 years… it can be painted a dozen different ways.

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
He was owed 1.6m..

Whichever way you slice it, then this is just good business by Geelong. Sure the optics dont look great with players having an early chat with him but there is every chance that Bowes said in these discussions that he had been told he was s**t outta luck with his owed money.

Very shrewd negotiation by Geelong. Tip my hat.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Whichever way you slice it, then this is just good business by Geelong. Sure the optics dont look great with players having an early chat with him but there is every chance that Bowes said in these discussions that he had been told he was s**t outta luck with his owed money.

It’s just crapp management by GC… good luck trying to secure back ended deals in the future.
Someone at GC needs to be accountable

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

more an AFL issue than the cats, suns or Bowes.
though you'd have to wonder how much Hocking knew of this coming and had the inside track. I hope a lot, cos his successor at the AFL is now our coach :)

Sadly i think the AFL will fix this before any other club gets to take advantage of it.
Imagine the pick trade can only be lop-sided if the salary component doesn't change for the remaining contract (i.e. Geelong take on 800 a year for 2, then whatever is negotiated for the next 2)

Back