Traded Sam Weideman [Traded with #54 and #72 to Essendon for #37]

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Bruce apparently on their radar.

Swans are giving Francis a second lease. suspect this is the same. may come off, may not. should come at a huge cost (likely its Francis for Weideman as we send Syd's F3 to the Dees)
I'm not saying nobody should give Weideman a shot. I think Francis is a good cheap option for the Swans.

But Essendon has a raft of young talls who need time and opportunity. Weideman makes sense for someone closer to the summit with either less tall forwards than they need, or less tall depth. Take a punt on a guy who improves your depth, is physically ready, and might have big upside. But for Essendon, better to give those games to a combination of Jones, Baldwin, Cox, McBride and Voss.
The news that broke Weideman to Essendon in the first place, mentioned we’re interested in recruiting him for the backline.
In which case my argument holds, but substitute Reid, Brand, and Eyre! He's not even taller than those others, he's 195cm. So 2cm taller than Laverde, about the same size as BZK. I could maybe understand it if he was 200cm.

This should have been the year we wound down our number of talls. Hurley, Francis, Stewart would have been proper rebalancing. Instead, we've kept Stewart and are potentially bringing in Weideman as well. I don't get it.

With Collingwood deciding to move the goal posts and change their asking price for Grundy, I hope Dees hold up trading Weid until Collingwood fold or decide to pay Grundy $1m for the next 5 years.

May still be needed next year at the Dees.

Needs to be a good deal for MFC that enables us to make some other trades happen to be worth it IMO. He's break glass Ruck/KPF depth next year and will probably play games in this role when Gawn or Grundy miss or are rested.
I'm really hoping that Melbourne ask for more than we're willing to give!

I'm not saying nobody should give Weideman a shot. I think Francis is a good cheap option for the Swans.

But Essendon has a raft of young talls who need time and opportunity. Weideman makes sense for someone closer to the summit with either less tall forwards than they need, or less tall depth. Take a punt on a guy who improves your depth, is physically ready, and might have big upside. But for Essendon, better to give those games to a combination of Jones, Baldwin, Cox, McBride and Voss.

In which case my argument holds, but substitute Reid, Brand, and Eyre! He's not even taller than those others, he's 195cm. So 2cm taller than Laverde, about the same size as BZK. I could maybe understand it if he was 200cm.

This should have been the year we wound down our number of talls. Hurley, Francis, Stewart would have been proper rebalancing. Instead, we've kept Stewart and are potentially bringing in Weideman as well. I don't get it.

Anytime you bring Cox, McBride, Voss into the conversation as KPF depth, it's actually further proof we need the weed.

Anytime you bring Cox, McBride, Voss into the conversation as KPF depth, it's actually further proof we need the weed.
Only if you're impatient and its 2023 you're worried about. If you're looking at 2024-2025 to be getting back to finals, and concentrating on laying down a proper foundation, then those kids make much more sense.

Only if you're impatient and its 2023 you're worried about. If you're looking at 2024-2025 to be getting back to finals, and concentrating on laying down a proper foundation, then those kids make much more sense.
If they are good enough, they will play. But they are nothing more than speculative, whilst weed has actually played AFL footy and whilst not earth shattering, he has shown moments of genuine talent. Going into the season with Wright and Jones as the main options is just not enough cattle.

If they are good enough, they will play. But they are nothing more than speculative, whilst weed has actually played AFL footy and whilst not earth shattering, he has shown moments of genuine talent. Going into the season with Wright and Jones as the main options is just not enough cattle.
It's fine for 2023. Especially given what they've showed.

Here is an interesting statistic. All of Weideman, Baldwin and Voss played 11 VFL games this year. Weideman had the least goals of the three (15.17). In his 7th year in the system. In a VFL team that finished first with a percentage of 170%.

Voss had 19.8 in his first year, Baldwin had 24.5 in his first full year after two ACLs, both playing in a side that finished 15th and had a percentage of 87%. Service to the forward line was rubbish for the first half of the year.

Those two might be behind Weideman in the AFL in 2023, but give them the games Weideman will take and they'll both probably be miles ahead in 2024.

It's fine for 2023. Especially given what they've showed.

Here is an interesting statistic. All of Weideman, Baldwin and Voss played 11 VFL games this year. Weideman had the least goals of the three (15.17). In his 7th year in the system. In a VFL team that finished first with a percentage of 170%.

Voss had 19.8 in his first year, Baldwin had 24.5 in his first full year after two ACLs, both playing in a side that finished 15th and had a percentage of 87%. Service to the forward line was rubbish for the first half of the year.

Those two might be behind Weideman in the AFL in 2023, but give them the games Weideman will take and they'll both probably be miles ahead in 2024.
Weideman played most of the year of the VFL in the ruck tbf

I really hope we don’t do this. Melbourne desperately need tall forwards yet are willing to let him go for a late pick. Tells you all you need to know.

Especially given we kept Stewart as depth. It would be more understandable if we and Melbourne were swapping the two.

We are essentially landing him for free so I don’t get this thought process. We need depth in all areas of the ground and at worst he provides that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weideman has grown since being drafted. Is in the 197/198 range now.

I think it’s fair to say that all of McBride, Baldwin, Brand, Voss and Eyre are extremely speculative and could all be flops. Stewart is injury prone and 28.

I do agree we seemed to have invest far too many spots on the list in KPPs though.

I think it’s fair to say that all of McBride, Baldwin, Brand, Voss and Eyre are extremely speculative and could all be flops. Stewart is injury prone and 28.

I do agree we seemed to have invest far too many spots on the list in KPPs though.
I think that by the end of next year we probably would have cut 2 or 3 of McBride, Baldwin, Brand, Voss and Eyre. Baldwin and Voss the most likely to stay on the list IMO.

It’s a lot harder to cover KPP and they take longer to develop so it’s understandable. I’d say a few will be cut in the next couple of years so need to keep turning over with new talent.

I think that by the end of next year we probably would have cut 2 or 3 of McBride, Baldwin, Brand, Voss and Eyre. Baldwin and Voss the most likely to stay on the list IMO.

My favourites of the group are Voss and Eyre both seem to have that extra level of athleticism that could see them become real difference makers at AFL level.

Baldwin clearly is a very intelligent footballer so would be great if he can put it together.

My favourites of the group are Voss and Eyre both seem to have that extra level of athleticism that could see them become real difference makers at AFL level.

Baldwin clearly is a very intelligent footballer so would be great if he can put it together.
I like McBride more than Eyre haha, matches him for athleticism and has the stickiest hands of our young KPP's IMO

Add to that Weideman can ruck. May not be great, but it's better than moving Wright in there imo.

Francis out is a shame, but we turn a position of depth into a position of need whilst we develop kids. If Weideman becomes Wright Mk2, excellent. If not, he buys us time whilst Jones, Baldwin, Voss & McBride develop (Eyre seems more def than fwd for mine).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back