Opinion Major changes for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

BBB out - no more playing injured players.
TMac not a saviour and may well be injured
Next year I like:
Forward 6 more dynamic being: Petty, JVR, Fritsch, Kossie, Bedford, Chandler (could replace Chandler with any of Spargo, ANB, AMW)
Back 6 being: May, Lever, Turner, Bowey, Salem, Brayshaw. (Maybe Tomlinson if Turner doesn’t pan out)
Wings: Langdon, JJ
Centre: Rucks Max and drops back to intercept, Grundy and goes forward.(Could also see Weid being second ruck)
Centre: Petracca, Oliver, Viney
Interchange: Harmes, Rivers, Hunt or Sparrow and resting ruck.
Medical: permanently Smith for flexibility and start rorting it like everyone else does.
Of course no idea who else is coming in to join the party and really just post grand final musings.

My number one priority is to get Selwood in as a development coach (if he retires).

Beg Hawkins to have a good long chat with Weideman

5 players out 5 in

Learn from Cats, you don't need to play your best 22 every week and you see the results, our the end of season was pretty poor compared to others.

Essendon supporters seem to think Chocco will be going with Yze if Ooze gets the job. Has this been reported anywhere or are Essendon fans just being their usual delusional selves?

Holy s**t i cant believe some of the stuff ive read in this thread. Ppl seriously want to trade out Salem? He struggled with injuries but we wouldnt have won the gf without him he's one of the best half backs in the game. Not really looking for an argument here im just astonished that we had half a s**t year and ppl want to trade out one of our best core players.

Anyways didnt come in here to talk about Salem as i dont even think its worthy of discussion. What i did want to say is i really wish we Goodwin wasnt so damn stubborn and unwilling to try things. We all know our real issues which is out lack of key forwards and ball use going forward. Granted the kick it long to packs and rush the ball forward at all times worked last year but TMac was key to that, you need talls up forward who will make every long ball into the 50 a contest and who can take a mark and kick a goal against the flow of play. At pivotal times in the finals last year when momentum was against us he would pop up, take a mark and go back and slot it and those 2-3 goals a game and his contest work in bringing it to ground was a big part of what was missing this year along with BB falling off a cliff. We went from 2 kpf who could take pack marks, make a contest, take a mark on the lead to having essentially no one who did this except Gawn.

Now unless there's a huge surprise, we arent adding any key forwards this trade period much to mine and most dees fans disgust. So what is the plan for next year. Hopefully JVR comes in and makes a big difference and becomes our next really good tall forward. TMac may or may not come back and be what he was in 21 but hes 2 years older and relying on him and a 19 year old to be the focal points in a premiership push is kinda wishful thinking. Gawn/Grundy effect up fwd is TBA with no one knowing how it'll go but i think we should give Petty at least a few games up forward to see what he can do.

Petty reminds me of Naughton in the way he reads the play and has hands of glue, rarely drops marks, rarely gets beaten in the air, maybe not quite the athleticism of Naughton but why did it take Goodwin til the last 5 mins of our season to try him forward?...? Yes i know how much we need him down back but while we have May and Lever down back and such a glaring weakness in our forward line surely we should try him up forward. We give Turner a go in his role down back, maybe Smith if he's fit or even Tomlinson if hes still on the list. While none of these guys are as good as Petty on the last line of def, i just cannot think of a better solution given our inactivity at the trade table. I dont really get why we havent gone hard after a good key forward, like why didnt we just get Lobb back in the Jackson deal and not bother with Grundy...Lobb is a better forward than Grundy and on a lot less money and since were already dealing with Freo on Jackson surely u just demand him back as part of the deal. Anyways i digress. Play Petty forward Goodwin, if it fails at least you did your job and tried a few things. We can't waste the primes of the best melb core since the 60s by being passive and unwilling to adapt. Look at Geelong, they won a premiership and are constantly looking to improve. That's all i want, for us to try to improve and not just stand pat and do the same s**t over and over just because it worked for a year and a half.

Holy s**t i cant believe some of the stuff ive read in this thread. Ppl seriously want to trade out Salem? He struggled with injuries but we wouldnt have won the gf without him he's one of the best half backs in the game. Not really looking for an argument here im just astonished that we had half a s**t year and ppl want to trade out one of our best core players.

Anyways didnt come in here to talk about Salem as i dont even think its worthy of discussion. What i did want to say is i really wish we Goodwin wasnt so damn stubborn and unwilling to try things. We all know our real issues which is out lack of key forwards and ball use going forward. Granted the kick it long to packs and rush the ball forward at all times worked last year but TMac was key to that, you need talls up forward who will make every long ball into the 50 a contest and who can take a mark and kick a goal against the flow of play. At pivotal times in the finals last year when momentum was against us he would pop up, take a mark and go back and slot it and those 2-3 goals a game and his contest work in bringing it to ground was a big part of what was missing this year along with BB falling off a cliff. We went from 2 kpf who could take pack marks, make a contest, take a mark on the lead to having essentially no one who did this except Gawn.

Now unless there's a huge surprise, we arent adding any key forwards this trade period much to mine and most dees fans disgust. So what is the plan for next year. Hopefully JVR comes in and makes a big difference and becomes our next really good tall forward. TMac may or may not come back and be what he was in 21 but hes 2 years older and relying on him and a 19 year old to be the focal points in a premiership push is kinda wishful thinking. Gawn/Grundy effect up fwd is TBA with no one knowing how it'll go but i think we should give Petty at least a few games up forward to see what he can do.

Petty reminds me of Naughton in the way he reads the play and has hands of glue, rarely drops marks, rarely gets beaten in the air, maybe not quite the athleticism of Naughton but why did it take Goodwin til the last 5 mins of our season to try him forward?...? Yes i know how much we need him down back but while we have May and Lever down back and such a glaring weakness in our forward line surely we should try him up forward. We give Turner a go in his role down back, maybe Smith if he's fit or even Tomlinson if hes still on the list. While none of these guys are as good as Petty on the last line of def, i just cannot think of a better solution given our inactivity at the trade table. I dont really get why we havent gone hard after a good key forward, like why didnt we just get Lobb back in the Jackson deal and not bother with Grundy...Lobb is a better forward than Grundy and on a lot less money and since were already dealing with Freo on Jackson surely u just demand him back as part of the deal. Anyways i digress. Play Petty forward Goodwin, if it fails at least you did your job and tried a few things. We can't waste the primes of the best melb core since the 60s by being passive and unwilling to adapt. Look at Geelong, they won a premiership and are constantly looking to improve. That's all i want, for us to try to improve and not just stand pat and do the same s**t over and over just because it worked for a year and a half.

How do you know we haven't gone hard at a good KPF? Who exactly was available this year? Gunston I'll give you but he probably isn't the role we really need.

While lack of KPF is an issue, our entire forward 50 mix is a complete mess (Slick Fritsch and Kozzy excluded).

Neither one of Spargo, Nibbler or Sparrow are a marking threat nor have they shown much ability as a crumber.

Spargo is a neat kick going inside 50 but spends too much time up the ground. Nibbler tries extremly hard for zero payoff. And I am not sure what Sparrow brings to the mix.

While lack of KPF is an issue, our entire forward 50 mix is a complete mess (Slick Fritsch and Kozzy excluded).

Neither one of Spargo, Nibbler or Sparrow are a marking threat nor have they shown much ability as a crumber.

Spargo is a neat kick going inside 50 but spends too much time up the ground. Nibbler tries extremly hard for zero payoff. And I am not sure what Sparrow brings to the mix.
One of them relies on hard work by others to hit him on the chest on the boundary. 5 - 7 possessions a game with no depth to most. Odd kick to a leader type. Wouldn't get a game in top 10 teams.

One of them relies on hard work by others to hit him on the chest on the boundary. 5 - 7 possessions a game with no depth to most. Odd kick to a leader type. Wouldn't get a game in top 10 teams.
Every single one of them got games in a top 10 team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major changes? Looks like more of the same.

Although imagine a forwardline with Josh Bruce and Ben Brown applying zero pressure and zero aerial presence, Melksham getting 5 ineffective touches for the game, ANB getting pinged for holding the ball and a resting Brodie Grundy looking completely lost while Oskar Baker is bombing the ball into the F50! Can't wait for this!!

Assuming the five man bench happens:

Hibberd - May - Lever
Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
Langdon - Viney - Hunter
Spargo - McDonald - ANB
Pickett - JVR - Fritsch
Gawn - Petracca - Oliver
Grundy - Harmes - Bowey - Sparrow - Jordon

If Disco can come on enough, or Tommo can get fit enough, to let Petty move up forward I'll be happy. But I doubt that happens. No real proven depth below the bench aside from Rivers and then a few older/probably cooked players like BBB/Melksham/Tomlinson and a couple of unproven guys like Howes, Chandler, Turner and Laurie. Smith, Dunstan and Schache don't fill me with confidence. Whoever comes in at pick 13 probably has a half decent chance of getting an early game.

Hibberd - May - Lever
Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
Langdon - Viney - Hunter
Spargo - McDonald - ANB
Pickett - JVR - Fritsch
Gawn - Petracca - Oliver

If Disco can come on enough, or Tommo can get fit enough, to let Petty move up forward I'll be happy. But I doubt that happens. No real proven depth below the bench aside from Rivers and then a few older/probably cooked players like BBB/Melksham/Tomlinson and a couple of unproven guys like Howes, Chandler, Turner and Laurie. Smith, Dunstan and Schache don't fill me with confidence. Whoever comes in at pick 13 probably has a half decent chance of getting an early game.
Nothing more overrated than depth, if the teams flying your depth slots in and looks great

Hibberd - May - Lever
Brayshaw - Petty - Salem
Langdon - Viney - Hunter
Spargo - McDonald - ANB
Pickett - JVR - Fritsch
Gawn - Petracca - Oliver

Sheezel or Mackenzie on that bench over Sparrow or Jordon would be a pretty good side.

Personnel never been an issue, game style is what we need to change.

Sheezel or Mackenzie on that bench over Sparrow or Jordon would be a pretty good side.

Personnel never been an issue, game style is what we need to change.

They hope they have the ability to look at the game plan and concede it needs to be changed, just like Geelong did BUT I don't want them to sit on the same game plan for X years then make the change just like Geelong did.

It is obvious Melbourne are too predictable so try something different for 2023 thanks.

Hunt out and Hunter in are the best things structurally to happen to the team in the trade period. We were oversupplied with small backs and Hunt going out means there's a guaranteed spot for Bowey. If Hunter claims the wing then Jordon goes into the midfield rotation or potentially tags. I reckon if he's going to be a B+ Grader in the AFL it's going to be as a tackling and pressure machine.

The other thing that has to be clear to Goody now is that we aren't getting any personnel fix for our forward issues. We should be picking a natural forward with our first pick but that's a longer term solution.

Our 2023 season rests on whether the coaches can come up with a system that allows us to be hitting Fritta, Kosi, JVR on the tit with a majority of our forward entries and putting the rest into positions they can be brought to ground by Gawn/Grundy/Schache/Brown in spots where they can be roved and goaled.

Long kick to the boundary to get a stoppage aka Goodwinball must be killed off.

it's about time our midfield starts winning bloody centre clearances too. We've got Gawn, Oliver, Petracca and Viney and lose centre clearance most weeks. Not good enough. Change the personnel in there if its not working. Or just get better.
I wonder who could possibly come into that mix to help with our clearances. 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back