Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done the math on our 2023 pick values pre and post trade period based on current ladder position?

I have a hypothesis we have significantly improved our points in 23.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People thinking north will just be crap again in 2022 might be surprised.
Chances of a team winning 3 spoons in a row is almost unprecedented.
I can see them rise to about 14th or 15th.
They are stacked with young talent
Possibly, but their percentage this year does sit in the worst 10 percentages of all time list.

Has anyone done the math on our 2023 pick values pre and post trade period based on current ladder position?

We're in a great draft position except for the complete lack of first rounders for the next two drafts.

But we're not in that phase of our squad development. Right now we're bringing in role players to support our existing group of first rounders. Expect us to look at Sharp, JVR and Rivers next season too.

People expect the world on here tbh:

• Lobb is a 29 year KPF/ruck who’s hardly one of the best KPFs in the league. Might be closer to the best KPF/ruck bit there isn’t as much competition for that. Point is you only get a first rounder for a 29 year old if said player is an A Grader. Getting two second rounders is a very good result.
  • Logue wasn’t in our best defensive 6/7 and has proven he’s a rubbish forward. Not sure many other players that meet this description have gone for what is likely to be pick 20-22 tbh.
  • Tucker was finished here. Getting anything for him was a good result. Getting pick 40-ish next year is an amazing deal.
  • Meek is a back up that doesn’t have much forward ability at all. I don’t care how good we thought he is. Back up rucks that can’t play KPF don’t hold much trade value.
  • Acres was a poor result imo. He’s still young enough and is a best 22 winger. Carlton can get ****ed.

• For Jackson that’s simply what you pay for a guy who’s considered to be one of the best young talents in the league. People say he’s out of contract but honestly I think the trade price wouldve been even more if he was contracted tbh.
  • For Corbett once again that’s the going rate for a player that’s outside their side’s best 22 these days when their club is actively trying to move them on.
  • Very hard to measure the O’Meara trade for value imo. Guess you couldn’t expect Hawthorn to be much good next year so the F4 combined with North’s F3 and F4 could almost get us another pick in the mid-second round next year. Hard to measure the impact Hawthorn paying O’Meara has on the pick required.

Overall I think most of the trades we made were about par. I think the Acres and Corbett trades would be just about the only ones the relevant opposition fans wouldn’t think are garbage from their end.
Walls didn’t want Acres. Not sure why but this was clear. The F3 as I’ve said at the beginning has a similar feel to Hogan trade which was also a third round pick (54 brought forward to be used at 50 on Brandon Walker). I would have liked us to upgrade pick 76 to 66 in addition to the F3.

The Jackson trade is what I expected. I’d prefer that we swap F3 (Carlton) for 67.

The Logue/Tucker trade I’d prefer we kept our F3.

Nothing at all wrong with the Corbett trade (it is likely a pick around 65-70 that we prob won’t even use).

Lobb trade was good value. JOM trade given salary being covered and F4 back in our direction I think is actually a decent trade.

If that transpired we would have the following:
30, 66, 67

F2 (North), F2 (Freo), F3 (North), F3 (Freo), F4 (Hawks)

The difference is Pick 44 and F4 (North) vs F2 (Freo). I can deal with that.

After a few hours to process, my assessment of the trade period is as follows:

Biggest win: only losing players who are (if we're being honest) only fringe or, if better than that, total campaigners who we're happy to get out of our lives, whilst bringing in 3 players, ranging from could-be-a-goer through solid performer-with-scope-to-surprise to could-be-absolutely-anything, who — and this the important — actually want to be at Freo for reasons other than money / no one else wanted them.

Biggest regret: taking the time to type out and post some seriously impressive sandwich innovations in a thread which is so long and so quick to grow, and soon to be locked anyway, that hardly any one is going to read them.
Bread is bad for you

Crispin Glover Lol GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
Crispin Glover/George McFly = Rory Lobb .. Always seen it myself too.

Here's Rory when CYoung tells him he's got a Vic based club to take him out his heavily front loaded contract to Freo with a year to run..

Crispinglover GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Here's Rory when Walls says at the beginning of trade week: " I don't see a way in which we're trading Rory.”

GIF mcfly future george - animated GIF on GIFER

Crispin Glover GIF - Crispin Glover Thin - Discover & Share GIFs

Rory when he's told he's been traded in the last 5 minutes of trade period

Mcfly GIF - Find on GIFER

Bye Rory... thanks for your service...

Crispin Glover GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Giphy, Charlies angels, Hellion

I am never wrong.
You tickets on yourself. Good call I guess.

I also would rather we held our F2 but as per my post above - we compromised on two trades that got posters hot under the popped collars - Logue/Tucker - giving up F3 (with F4 in return) and giving up F2 (44 and 67 in return).

F2 (29-33), F3 (48 - 52) > 40, 58, F4 (57-61)

Brisbane need all of the following picks to match a bid at pick 1 for Ashcroft: 34, 35, 36, 38, 55, 56. Then for a bid later in the first round for Fletcher they will need to trade back into the third round (couple of picks around the 50’s if possible to limit the 2023 deficit) using future third (WB).

In reality the compromised trade with Melbourne cost us Sharp. Now I liked Sharp (not getting him opens up opportunity for Johnson to develop on the Wing in addition to Henry, Worner, NOD, Aish) but the cost being demanded by GCS is just too high for mine.

Crispin Glover/George McFly = Rory Lobb .. Always seen it myself too.

Here's Rory when CYoung tells him he's got a Vic based club to take him out his heavily front loaded contract to Freo with a year to run..

Crispinglover GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Here's Rory when Walls says at the beginning of trade week: " I don't see a way in which we're trading Rory.”

GIF mcfly future george - animated GIF on GIFER

Crispin Glover GIF - Crispin Glover Thin - Discover & Share GIFs

Rory when he's told he's been traded in the last 5 minutes of trade period

Mcfly GIF - Find on GIFER

Bye Rory... thanks for your service...

Crispin Glover GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Giphy, Charlies angels, Hellion

Rory when he dropped acid and went on Letterman:

Good thinking me man
emoji106.png

Calmed down a bit now, melted a bit hard back there (don't we all though at some point?)

I'm happy to give it a chance. If O'Meara can bring something to us I'll be ecstatic, he's a good stop gap for the loss of Mundy.

If Corbett is anything more than depth we'll be well pleased.

Jackson will be one of the best players in the league down the line, can't complain about it.
I'll make the call I think O'Meara will be an absolute weapon for us and one of the best trades in the history of our club. It was only 2021 where he was averaging 26 possessions and looking like he was returning to his best. Last year he was played mostly at half forward but still did well when onball. No problems with anyone disagreeing in the slightest. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trivial really, if we finish similar to this year, and Norf are bottom few, we can expect to be 200ish or 10% points short of what we'd have with a full hand.

Arguably the best draft hand we've had a year out from a draft in in 5+ years, given that pesky future 2nd we've had on layby for God knows how long.

Quite nicely placed for value picks if the draft is as deep as suggested. Or trading those 3rd round picks up to late 2nds, and picking the eyes out of the draft and nabbing some of the usual 1st round fallers. Late 2nd-3rd round picks have probably been our forté for a while.

Should be great for rounding out our list with development prospects while our core starts to peak.

Corbett is in the best 22. He's better than Sturt, Banfield and the departed Logue up forward. We just shipped out two starting forwards, the imports have to fill those holes.

Our Talls will be Tabs, Amiss and Corbett. Corbett may start on bench to allow Jackson to start on the ground though, Jackson may be in the middle though!

Taberner, Jackson, and that bloke that wears number 7 will probably all be in the front 6 if fit for round 1 2023. Only one of Amiss/Corbett/Treacy plays round 1 IMO.

Corbett is in the best 22. He's better than Sturt, Banfield and the departed Logue up forward. We just shipped out two starting forwards, the imports have to fill those holes.

Our Talls will be Tabs, Amiss and Corbett. Corbett may start on bench to allow Jackson to start on the ground though, Jackson may be in the middle though!
Fyfe will play forward, no way Corbett is a walk up start in best 22

I do find it hilarious how two days ago JOM was staying at Hawks, then suddenly GWS come in and he's at cogs wedding and he's a lock to go there - no one else was interested or even approached hawks about it. And then we come in last minute, and trade him.

GWS would be pissed off.
JOM gf moved to Perth and they brought a house.

I think that the plan all along, we needed other trades to go down first

Taberner, Jackson, and that bloke that wears number 7 will probably all be in the front 6 if fit for round 1 2023. Only one of Amiss/Corbett/Treacy plays round 1 IMO.
I don't think so, they want Corbett to lead up the wings and keep Tabs at FF. Jackson also isn't a lock to start in the forward line. Fyfe I suspect is going to be part of the midfield rotation as he and JOM provide the big bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back