Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
You tickets on yourself. Good call I guess.

I also would rather we held our F2 but as per my post above - we compromised on two trades that got posters hot under the popped collars - Logue/Tucker - giving up F3 (with F4 in return) and giving up F2 (44 and 67 in return).

F2 (29-33), F3 (48 - 52) > 40, 58, F4 (57-61)

Brisbane need all of the following picks to match a bid at pick 1 for Ashcroft: 34, 35, 36, 38, 55, 56. Then for a bid later in the first round for Fletcher they will need to trade back into the third round (couple of picks around the 50’s if possible to limit the 2023 deficit) using future third (WB).

In reality the compromised trade with Melbourne cost us Sharp. Now I liked Sharp (not getting him opens up opportunity for Johnson to develop on the Wing in addition to Henry, Worner, NOD, Aish) but the cost being demanded by GCS is just too high for mine.

Great analysis. Also not valuing Acres as an asset was silly. Future 2nds we’re getting thrown around. Ian Hill FFS. We should have pushed for a future 2nd and given a future 3rd back. I think we then get Sharp.

In hindsight to have Acres done so early was dumb.

There will be pick upgrades, I think with Brisbane for starters. How do you think we can improve our draft position?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Has anyone done the math on our 2023 pick values pre and post trade period based on current ladder position?

I have a hypothesis we have significantly improved our points in 23.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Actually, we are worse off this year and next.

Pre-Draft 13,76 (1212)
Post Draft 30, 44, 67, 76 (1060)

Pre-Draft 13, 31, 49, 67 (2174)
Post Draft 20, 38, 47, 56 (1887)

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Actually, we are worse off this year and next.

Pre-Draft 13,76 (1212)
Post Draft 30, 44, 67, 76 (1060)

Pre-Draft 13, 31, 49, 67 (2174)
Post Draft 20, 38, 47, 56 (1887)
Difference being 152 points (pick 60) in 2022, and 227 points (pick 53) in 2023. IMHO that’s worth the ins v outs.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Difference being 152 points (pick 60) in 2022, and 227 points (pick 53) in 2023. IMHO that’s worth the ins v outs.
Yes, I agree. The three that you could debate are:

1) Acres for an F3 is poor. No getting around this one. He was a walk-up best 22 for us, and will be for Carlton. The only argument you could make is that maybe we know something about his injury where he won't be playing much beyond his current age (27), but that's grasping.

2) Given what was sent out for Dunkley, Tartanto and Hopper, there was no need to add our 2nd Rounder to the Jackson deal, however, it did get us some (shitty) picks this year. Given we paid only about 90 points more than we got for Cerra, it's not a howler though. He was the biggest fish in the pool, and we needed the biggest rig.

3) F2 and Meek for O'Meara looks like we gave away a contracted Meek for free. How Bizarre (how bizarre).

I think we got decent value for Logue and good value for Lobb, who will be 30 in 3 months. Tucker was a gift. Corbett for a 4th was well done.

We landed 3 of the 4 we wanted in, let go 5 players with varying success and limited the damage to next year's draft by keeping the NMPP2. Our draft hand this year is horrid, but that is partly because we only went in his year with a 1st and 4th. Overall, and in context, we didn't knock it out of the park, and it wasn't a total disaster. Somewhere in the middle.

SupermanCapes

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
North don't have a coach. There is pretty close to 0% chance Clarkson coaches the start of next year, potentially ever again. That's not a comment on whether he did the things he's accused of, I just don't think it's going to be viable for him to be coaching with the investigation hanging over his head.

If they manage to get ahead of any team then those teams are absolutely cooked.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
91D6E19A-279B-4896-8CF8-166523359CA4.jpeg

Bulldogs fans seem excited…

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
3) F2 and Meek for O'Meara looks like we gave away a contracted Meek for free. How Bizarre (how bizarre).

We also got a F4 from a potential wooden spooner in the deal, and that is about all Meek is worth on the open market. Ruck is the least important position on the ground and the market has well and truly been set for backup rucks like Hickey, Cameron, Pittonet, Witts, etc. Yeah, he was under contract, but if we were going to move him on then I don't think that matters too much in this case. If O'Meara wasn't involved, the best we would have got for Meek is 48.

I view the trade as O'Meara for a F2 (Bulldogs) that will likely be in the 30's, plus Hawthorn are paying a chunk of salary. It's a fairly good trade as long as O'Meara stays on the park.

We also got a F4 from a potential wooden spooner in the deal, and that is about all Meek is worth on the open market. Ruck is the least important position on the ground and the market has well and truly been set for backup rucks like Hickey, Cameron, Pittonet, Witts, etc. Yeah, he was under contract, but if we were going to move him on then I don't think that matters too much in this case. If O'Meara wasn't involved, the best we would have got for Meek is 48.

I view the trade as O'Meara for a F2 (Bulldogs) that will likely be in the 30's, plus Hawthorn are paying a chunk of salary. It's a fairly good trade as long as O'Meara stays on the park.

That's a great way of looking at it.

I'd expect at least 15 games out of O'Meara next season, and Hawthorn will be paying for ten of those - Meek would be lucky to play ten games next season and then we get a fourth rounder for him uncontracted anyway.

We turned one year of Lobb into a free year of O'Meara plus the possibility of another player achieving something.

We have a million extra bucks to spend for next season.

Hopefully we can find another avenue to goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back