Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
GWS easily the winners for mine. Off loaded players with big wages and probably past their best/peaked (aside from Bruhn) for another terrific draft pick haul for the next 2 years which gives them massive flexibility and ability to have a pretty good mini rebuild with the best KPF prospect in this year's draft in Cadman.

They absolutely got the best possible value for their departures, The Giants are so much better run footy dept wise than The Suns.
Elmer please 🤣

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Maybe it is just my impression but seems like a lot of players moved this trade period and it been probably the most interesting league wide trade period I can think of. I have to think back to before the salary cap and draft era to think of one more interesting.
Mid's 80's was crazy interesting with trade wars going on at Tigers and Pies, Sydney on a massive recruiting spree to try to get coaches and players from other clubs and then the Carlton trio of Sticks, Braddles and Motley. I think this trade period been the biggest since that time.

I've not seen fortunes of teams change in weeks like this trade period has for a number of clubs at any time in the draft and salary cap era.
It is actually quite refreshing as normally it feels like it minimal.
Can't wait for next season to see how much impact it has for teams next season.

Iamspock

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Your club overpaid for an out of contract player. I know it's a tough pill to swallow but I'll let you in on a little secret: we would have accepted a future second for him if that's what it came down to. I think your list manager got spooked by the PSD bluff.
Their List Manger also said that they paid more than they wanted to.

Iamspock

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We got Dunkley, Gunston and enough draft picks to match bids for the best kid in the land and another first-round talent. I wouldn't say you had us discombobulated, however I'm glad both teams were able to come to table, make a reasonable compromise and achieve a win-win.

Also, I got a new profile picture amongst all the trade week madness. Let me know when you whip up the next one of Dunkley in his new Lions colours champion 👍
Is your sarcasm radar off?

Royce Hafey

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2013
Point Cook
AFL Club
Richmond
Those three are pretty much cooked anyway
Cotchin had his best year since 2017 (averaging more disposals and more clearances per game). Riewoldt kicked 40 goals. Dusty obviously had issues stemming from his father's death, but we'll see. In any case, if Cotch is cooked, we just recruited two players for that midfield role. If Dusty is cooked we have Bolton who plays the same role. If Jack is cooked then that weakens a forward line that was arguably the most potent in the league last year, but it will still be pretty good. IF all three are cooked AND both Hopper and Taranto turn out to be duds, then the team will go backwards. But that's an awful lot of ifs.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
In the media
Winners - Whoever got the best players in without losing much

Losers - Whoever lost good players or did nothing

Same thing every year. Richmond's play could blow up in their face like Hawks or WC of the past but they still finished runner up in trade week according to the media.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
In the media
Winners - Whoever got the best players in without losing much

Losers - Whoever lost good players or did nothing

Same thing every year. Richmond's play could blow up in their face like Hawks or WC of the past but they still finished runner up in trade week according to the media.
It is how Dodoro still has a job. No one looks back at the results years later

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
What?

Rejecting the way unders deal for the first Dunkley offer and keeping the pick 11 Freo asked for in the Lobb trade?
We're pretty happy with Sam, thank you very much.
If only what you’re saying was true but it’s definitely a cool version of events.

The 4th round pick will open some doors come draft night

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Biggest loser - the AFL's flimsy equalisation policies. Blown to smithereens and unlikely to be able to be glued back together.
I wonder why the AFL even bothers with the salary cap when they permit teams to trade in players & have the previous team pay their salary. The whole point of the salary cap to equalise the competition. What's the use of equalising the comp, and then allowing the top teams to load up with extra star players without taking the salary cap hit?

It's a rort.

I seriously question how effective the salary cap is anyway. Look at all the players who switched clubs.
Most of the decent players have headed to the stronger teams and most of the fringe players have gone to the weaker teams.

The salary cap is a joke. Just get rid of it.

ACQUIRED
GEEL... Oliver Henry, Tanner Bruhn, Jack Bowes
SYD.... Aaron Francis
MELB.. Brodie Grundy, Lachie Hunter, Josh Schache
COLL.. Tom Mitchell, Daniel McStay, Billy Frampton, Bobby Hill
BRIS... Josh Dunkley, Jack Gunston
FREO.. Luke Jackson, Jaeger O'Meara
RICH.. Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper
W.B.... Rory Lobb, Liam Jones
CARL.. Blake Acres
ST K... Zaine Cordy
PORT... Jason Horne-Francis, Junior Rioli
GOLD.. Ben Long, Thomas Berry
HAW.... Karl Amon, Lloyd Meek, Cooper Stephens
ADEL... Izak Rankine
ESS.... Will Setterfield, Sam Weideman
GWS... Toby Bedford
WCE... Jayden Hunt
N.M.... Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker

DEARTED
GEEL... Cooper Stephens
SYD....
MELB... Luke Jackson, Jayden Hunt, Sam Weideman, Toby Bedford
COLL... Brodie Grundy, Oliver Henry
BRIS... Daniel McStay, Thomas Berry
FREO... Rory Lobb, Blake Acres, Lloyd Meek, Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker
RICH..
W.B.... Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter, Zaine Cordy, Josh Schache
CARL.. Liam Jones, Will Setterfield
ST K... Ben Long
PORT... Karl Amon
GOLD.. Izak Rankine, Jack Bowes
HAW.... Tom Mitchell, Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Gunston
ADEL... Billy Frampton
ESS..... Aaron Francis
GWS... Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper, Tanner Bruhn, Bobby Hill
WCE.... Junior Rioli
N.M..... Jason Horne-Francis

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
I don't understand why the AFL even bothers to have a salary cap if they permit teams to acquire players via trades but have the previous team pay the player's salary.

Isn't the whole point of the salary cap to equalise the competition?

What is the point of equalising the comp, and then allowing the top teams to add star players to their team without taking the salary cap hit?

Just get rid of it.
Get rid of the cap? We can't all be Geelong.

My_Username

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't understand why the AFL even bothers to have a salary cap if they permit teams to acquire players via trades but have the previous team pay the player's salary.

Isn't the whole point of the salary cap to equalise the competition?

What is the point of equalising the comp, and then allowing the top teams to add star players to their team without taking the salary cap hit?

Just get rid of it.

The point is to LOOK LIKE they're equalising the comp, not to actually do it.

AFLPA wouldn't allow it if they tried to do it seriously.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Maybe it is just my impression but seems like a lot of players moved this trade period and it been probably the most interesting league wide trade period I can think of. I have to think back to before the salary cap and draft era to think of one more interesting.
Mid's 80's was crazy interesting with trade wars going on at Tigers and Pies, Sydney on a massive recruiting spree to try to get coaches and players from other clubs and then the Carlton trio of Sticks, Braddles and Motley. I think this trade period been the biggest since that time.

I've not seen fortunes of teams change in weeks like this trade period has for a number of clubs at any time in the draft and salary cap era.
It is actually quite refreshing as normally it feels like it minimal.
Can't wait for next season to see how much impact it has for teams next season.
1986 looked up on AFL tables
Player Transfers or Interstate recruits that I noticed.
Jones, Warren
Crow, Max
McCormack, Peter
Raines, Geoff
McCormack, Peter
Kink, Rene
Neagle, Merv
Preston, Andy
Evans, Bernie
Richardson, Michael
Bradbury, Peter
McConville, Peter
Edmond, Jim
Gepp, Tim
Roberts, Michael
Coleman, Glenn
Healy, Gerard
Bolton, David
Ackerly, David
Nixon, Ricky
Toohey, Bernard
Liberatore, Tony
Kenny, Peter
Rance, Murray
Dorotich, Jon
Daniels, Greg
Phillips, Brenton
Platten, John
Stretch, Steven
Kernahan, Stephen
Bradley, Craig
McGuinness, Tony
Motley, Peter
Gale, Michael

Minimal help. All 4 of them aren’t in their current best 22. Not saying they won’t be but currently they aren’t.
We can't win with the endless moving goalposts.

First we were too old and too slow and our top up strategy was doomed to fail with a long rebuild expected. Then they go all the way and we listen to the years of 'youf' cries and recruit 2 x 20yo from the first round. 1 x plug-n-play 24yo midfielder and pick 7.

Menegola, Parfitt and Holmes weren't in the grand final side. Could still add McKenna and possibly a future great player at 7.
The trade period didn't need to enhance our 2023 chances, they're already quite solid. But they've given the medium to long term a good boost.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
We can't win with the endless moving goalposts.

First we were too old and too slow and our top up strategy was doomed to fail with a long rebuild expected. Then they go all the way and we listen to the years of 'youf' cries and recruit 2 x 20yo from the first round. 1 x plug-n-play 24yo midfielder and pick 7.

Menegola, Parfitt and Holmes weren't in the grand final side. Could still add McKenna and possibly a future great player at 7.
The trade period didn't need to enhance our 2023 chances, they're already quite solid. But they've given the medium to long term a good boost.
I never said you haven’t done extremely well. My point was this trade period hasn’t really improved your chances for 2023 that’s all, as opposed to Richmond and Brisbane who have improved their 2023 chances no doubt.
I put cats in same boat as port, excellent trade period but I don’t think jhf and Rioli make them premiership chances next season.

daftmike

Senior List
Mar 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That 7 year deal for Hopper is absolute Poo. I am convinced in 2 or 3 years time, it will be looked back upon as an mon
From the guy who believes fisher and Kennedy are better then tarranto and Hopper who are middiling mids past their prime.
The same carlton supporters who were frothing Taranto's 2019 season calling him a complete superstar and exactly what carlton needs, would make their midfield the best in the comp.

Just jealous because he's so wog, he looks like could tell you what a cold filter coffee tastes like. Another italiano for RFC.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
People will say us, but St.Kilda and Gold Coast were far worse considering we all occupied a similar ladder position and needed to be bold to ensure some long term success.

We were told we should have traded O'Meara and Mitchell a year ago and it was a 'loss' having to retain them. Now it's a loss because we've moved them on apparently.

Meek and Stephens are promising young players who fill immediate needs.

Gunston also cannot count towards our grading because if it wasn't for McStay he would have walked for free. We actively tried to retain him.

The only negative was not improving our draft position at the higher end.

The huge positive is that everybody seems to forget we recruited Karl Amon who is the exact type of player we needed.

Back