Rumour Increase to the Interchange Bench for 2023

Mongo Ming

Intergalactic Despot
Sep 10, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Found it very interesting that this morning Lloydy said there was increasing scuttlebutt that they will be increasing the interchange bench to 5 players next year.

I assume that’s the death of the medi-sub (no ragrets).

So, how do you think we can best make use of this increase from a positional and strategic standpoint?

Obviously it’s welcome news for a team like the Dees that can effectively have either Gawn or Grundy on the pine for extended periods.

Who would you add as our 23rd player and why?

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Wouldn't be totally surprised to see Mitchell and Adams rotate heavily through an extended interchange bench so we can mostly keep an extra runner out there.

Pendlebury and Sidebottom might benefit from it too.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Depends if they also increase the number of interchanges allowed per quarter.

It would be nice to use it for a young, developing player. Probably Madge 😉
That’s the key. Swan would not have been anywhere close to effective in todays game if he didn’t have the ability to sub off…

If it’s the same number of subs you go a tall. If it’s more subs then I bring in an extra runner to lessen the load

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 on the bench 1 from backline 1 from fwd line and 3 midfielder/flankers.

Teams are moving to rolling massive numbers through the midfield again.

Think our 2010 midfield

Thomas Pendles Ball Swan Wellingham Sidebottom Beams Didak

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Found it very interesting that this morning Lloydy said there was increasing scuttlebutt that they will be increasing the interchange bench to 5 players next year.

I assume that’s the death of the medi-sub (no ragrets).

So, how do you think we can best make use of this increase from a positional and strategic standpoint?

Obviously it’s welcome news for a team like the Dees that can effectively have either Gawn or Grundy on the pine for extended periods.

Who would you add as our 23rd player and why?

Perfect to run with a mobile second ruck. Or two!,, Kreuger and mcstay could share second ruck duties with cox or Cameron..,.and also rotate through the forward line with Mihocek and Johnson.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
5 on the bench 1 from backline 1 from fwd line and 3 midfielder/flankers.

Teams are moving to rolling massive numbers through the midfield again.

Think our 2010 midfield

Thomas Pendles Ball Swan Wellingham Sidebottom Beams Didak

And at times Blair and macaffer and even H playing high half back/ wing. Glory days

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bring it in now, should have been done years ago, all those years of the AFL listening to KB has dampened their minds. Increase the number of interchange allowed also, this would make us even stronger

Gaspard

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The continued expansion of the match day team is terrible. The interchange killed so many aspects of our game, and now the interchanging list grows every couple of years. Have as many as you like on the bench, but once they go off, they should be off. Only exceptions the changes directed by the umpires. (Blood rule, concussion and the like). Interchage as a tactical weapon has caused so many problems. In the words of the coodabeens. Get rid of it.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
Cameron to the bench to rotate with 1st ruck Cox. No need to swap in the forward line. 1 back, 1 forward, 2 mids and 1 ruck on the bench.

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The continued expansion of the match day team is terrible. The interchange killed so many aspects of our game, and now the interchanging list grows every couple of years. Have as many as you like on the bench, but once they go off, they should be off. Only exceptions the changes directed by the umpires. (Blood rule, concussion and the like). Interchage as a tactical weapon has caused so many problems. In the words of the coodabeens. Get rid of it.
I disagree with this completely, having players fresh means they can execute skills better than if they're fatigued.

Take away the interchange and creating a sub will just create a congested slog fest worse than what we saw when we had the sub rule. Players will try to conserve energy and rest themselves on the field because they're so exhausted.

Try doing anything while you're fatigued and I bet you'll be worse at it than if you weren't, the exception to that being sleeping lol.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)

I disagree with part of this statement. Whilst I don't think anymore than 4 players are needed on the bench, I would love to go back to unlimited interchanges per game. Just keeping players fresh and allowing less "aerobic beasts" to play the sport. Seeing teams go into "self preservation" mode decries the game. Keep em fit and firing for the full 100 minutes.

Juan Ide

Team Captain
May 19, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Extra spot should be used to field an extra young midfielder, such as JC, FMac or Reef in my opinion. Need to get more on-field exposure to the firsts to fast-track younger player development. An increase of taller players on the bench would probably add little to our ability to get the ball forward to compliment Fly's attacking game plan.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I disagree with this completely, having players fresh means they can execute skills better than if they're fatigued.
Back in the 90s the champion midfielders built massive engines and just ran all day.

Or you had guys like Jarman who played forward and used their skills
Take away the interchange and creating a sub will just create a congested slog fest worse than what we saw when we had the sub rule. Players will try to conserve energy and rest themselves on the field because they're so exhausted.
The congested slog fest was enabled by the increase in interchange.

If players are trying to conserve energy, wont you get more positional play...as they all wont be able to run all over the ground in the current rolling scrum where almost all players are within one kick of the ball.
Try doing anything while you're fatigued and I bet you'll be worse at it than if you weren't, the exception to that being sleeping lol.
That again is what seperates players, the elite champions of the game could push thenselves further than their opponent.

And when players are fatigued, guess what falls away....pressure. Try executing skills when under intense pressure, hard to do.

Much prefer being fatigued but under minimal pressure if trying to execute a skill.

Back in the 90s the champion midfielders built massive engines and just ran all day.

Or you had guys like Jarman who played forward and used their skills

The congested slog fest was enabled by the increase in interchange.

If players are trying to conserve energy, wont you get more positional play...as they all wont be able to run all over the ground in the current rolling scrum where almost all players are within one kick of the ball.

That again is what seperates players, the elite champions of the game could push thenselves further than their opponent.

And when players are fatigued, guess what falls away....pressure. Try executing skills when under intense pressure, hard to do.

Much prefer being fatigued but under minimal pressure if trying to execute a skill.
I think this was always KB's reasoning. The game would open up and become more attractive when fatigue sets in.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I think this was always KB's reasoning. The game would open up and become more attractive when fatigue sets in.
Yep.

The 3 phases of the game

We have the ball
The ball is in dispute
The opponent has the ball

When fatigued, first thing that drops away is effort to run when opponent has the ball...players all find a step or two when chance to get the pill.

If defensive pressure drops, zones break down...will get more free flowing footy.

Back