Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hands up those that made fools of themselves on the main board maintaining that pick 5 would definitely not be part of the Rankine deal and that we'd use the PSD threat?

Thought so, a lot of sheepish posters out there. Clubs generally behave in a far more cooperative way.

We've done very well here, just a pity that Port have done even better.

Me.
Not that 5 wouldn't be involved, but that straight up handing them 5 shouldn't have been required.

Still maintain it was soft negotiating and we were lazy in exploring options.

Not sheepish at all. Last years trade period had suckered me in.

Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rankine and JHF are different prototypes. One appears more a skilled midfield bull, and the other is more a nifty goal sneak who can play part-time midfield.

I see Rankine reaching roughly the level of an Akermanis.
Sure it's not just the hair/beard styling prompting the comparison?

1665698380619.jpeg

1665698434062.jpeg

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like the comparisons with Aker as well.as those with McLeod.

I actually think he has elements of both, but to get to that level he needs to further improve his fitness. Like those two, he needs to get his fitness to a point where he looks like he's cruising when others are labouring.

Hopefully this gets that elite speed we saw as junior back. I'm not saying he's slow, I just don't think he's got enough to apply that speed often enough.

I think he's spent the first phase of his career adding muscle to his skinny frame to compete against bigger bodies, hopefully we can keep that strength but also add that next level of fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeftyLuke

Cancelled
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would not say far superior as Dangerfield has been a great player for a long time too. My point originally is that you really would be happy with either and if Rankine can get close to McLeod, we will be absolutely laughing in the end
Dangerfield is great at getting the ball but with ball in hand McLeod was one of the most skilled players to play the game. Dangerfield is highly adept at the helicopter kick.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dangerfield is great at getting the ball but with ball in hand McLeod was one of the most skilled players to play the game. Dangerfield is highly adept at the helicopter kick.
no question Mcleod had him for foot skills.What Dangerfield had that very few did was an ability to get a hardball, stand up in a tackle and break away from it and the contest.

But you will get no arguments fromme if we have a guy that could get up there near where mcLeod was and Rankine absolutely has the evasiveness and foot skills..just needs to build his tank more to really transition to a midfield role

Imagine though, first game of the season and the oppo trott out and see Rankine and Rachele either side of tex across half forward

Imagine though, first game of the season and the oppo trott out and see Rankine and Rachele either side of tex across half forward
Then they look at McHenry in a pocket and Mrouch in the center and feel a lot better.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
no question Mcleod had him for foot skills.What Dangerfield had that very few did was an ability to get a hardball, stand up in a tackle and break away from it and the contest.
There has been no one better, ever, than danger at a hardball get and getting up and getting away.
If his disposal was better he’d be all time.
I’d still take McLeod for sure though.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
I posed a general question a little while back. If JHF projects as the 'next' dangerfield and rankine projects as the next 'akermanis / mcleod', who would you prefer?

I suppose the answer is you are happy with either
If it is Danger or Bungi, Bungi all day every day. The man was silk and glorious to watch, just watched him in awe. Smooth and effortless, while Danger is all bluster and bulldozer. Oh and bungi could kick and hit a target. I miss Bungi.

Sep 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
If it is Danger or Bungi, Bungi all day every day. The man was silk and glorious to watch, just watched him in awe. Smooth and effortless, while Danger is all bluster and bulldozer. Oh and bungi could kick and hit a target. I miss Bungi.

Haven't seen a player like Bunj ever, as crisp and clean as they come.. Still my favourite player of all time

Sep 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would have thought a certain D Jarman had him for footskills...but then again, D Jarman was just about the purest kick of the ball in the entire modern era so it is the highest of bars

Different type of player though - no doubt DJ was elite but watching Bunj consistently hit the ball at pace was something that made me moist.

200.gif

Back