Phantom Draft eth-dog's 2022 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll never understand a team not bidding on the best player in the country.

a) It's never been unmatched at the top end.
b) If it isn't matched, you get the best payer in the country.

It's mental.
Agree. The only reason is the cash 1 gets. But that should be a drop in the ocean to career earnings.

I think Clark is a smoke-screen.. Jed Busslinger has the Selwood connection and fits a need
Geelong could go anyway i feel, i do think main target is J Clark

The ageing list means any spot on the field could be filled in 2-3 years time

I think they would like a key forward aswell as they tend to take 3 years to develop. Think there is a chance atleast 2 of Hawkins, Ratugolea, S.Neale are gone in 12 months. Jezza is 30 by the start of next season although doesnt look like slowing down

It's mental.
There's a cartel incentive for Academy-beneficiary clubs to err against bidding on each other's players.

Me when West Coast take Ginbey over Mackenzie:
1537273721-nicolas-cage.gif

It's mental.
Look in to the Brisbane and GWS trade at the start of trade week, you'll find your answer.

Great job Eth.

A couple of observations. North board seem pretty convinced Wardlaw has been told he’ll be picked by them. How confident are you in your mail that they’ll take Tsatas instead (I hope you’re right FWIW)?

I’d love Konstanty with our second pick. I can live in hope.

That was a nice read.

I think Sydney's recruiting are hard to predict and there aren't many rumours or leaks.

If Hollands and Jefferson were actually still available at pick 14, I think we would look at them as best available. Hollands is a running midfielder with decent disposal and endurance, so suits the way we are trying to play. Jefferson is the 2nd ranked KPF prospect so might be useful long term to partner Logan McDonald when Reid and Franklin retires.

Pick 17. Might look at Keeler as a forward/ruck longer term. Or best mid available if we took a tall with pick 14. Also might take someone like Cowan because we like selecting running half backs. Also we could take Hayes as a longer term defensive prospect.

Pick 42. Maybe take a running half back. There is a lot of that type of player in this range and we like to draft them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fourth round:

Pick 55, North Melbourne: Jake Walker (Glenelg, 183/80, IM).

Pick 56, Port Adelaide: Ethan Phillips (Port Melbourne, 196/90, KD).

Pick 57, Richmond: Archie Lovelock (Glenelg, 178/72, OM).

Pick 58, Geelong: Blake Drudy (OC, 177/73, OM).

Pick 59, Hawthorne: Harvey Gallagher (BP, 179/77, HB)

Pick 60, Carlton: Lloyd Johnston (Northern Territory, 180/80, HB).

Pick 61, Fremantle: Jackson Broadbent (PT, 201/100, Ruck).

Pick 62, Western Bulldogs: Hudson O'Keefe (OC, 201/91, Ruck).

Pick 63, North Melbourne: Phoenix Foster (Norwood, 196/85, KF).

Pick 64, Gold Coast: Tyrell Dewar (Subiaco, 185/70, SF).

Pick 65, Gold Coast: Taj Cambell-Farrell (DS, 185/84, OM).

Pick 66, Collingwood: Harry Barnett (WA, 202/93, Ruck)

Pick 67, Sydney: Callum Verrall (ER, 187/79, HB).

Pick 68, Fremantle: Finn Emile-Brennan (DS, 181/72, HB)
No love for Jed Hagan? One of the few potential draftees to of played senior finals footy this year and held his own....despite his apparent lack of height and pace.

Third round:

Pick 38, Greater Western Sydney: Harry Rowston (Calder Cannons, 182/??, M/F). 286 points to match. Match with pick 53 and 57, go into a 141 point surplus.

Pick 39, Western Bulldogs: Jaiden Magor (South Adelaide, 185/79, MF).

Pick 40, North Melbourne: Luke Teal (OC, 188/80, HB).

Pick 41, Adelaide: Max Michaelanney (Norwood, 192/78, MD). 232 points to match. Matched with pick 46, go into a 99 point surplus.

Pick 42, Hawthorne: Billy Dowling (NA, 187/79, IM).

Pick 43, Sydney: Toby McMullin (SD,185/??, MF).

Pick 44, North Melbourne: Jed Adams (Peel Thunder, 194/89, KD).

Pick 45, Fremantle: Jack Cleaver (East Fremantle, 188/87, Utility).

Pick 46, Gold Coast: Jason Gilbee (BP, 190/76 OM/F).

Pick 47, St. Kilda: Harry Cole (Claremont, 186/77, MF).

Pick 48, Hawthorne: Hugh Bond (GWV, 184/81, IM).

Pick 49, Carlton: Jack O'Sullivan (OC, 177/70, SF).

Pick 50, Hawthorne: Tom McCallum (TD, 192/78, MD).

Pick 51, Collingwood: Jonti Schuback (GP, 183/74, HB)

Pick 52, Hawthorne: Tom Scully (WA, 201/83, KF)

Pick 53, Richmond: Harry Lemmey (WA, 199/83, KF).

Pick 54, Geelong: Jaxon Binns (DS, 182/73, SD)
Nice to see Cleaver get a bit of love here.
As a Bulldog fan, I'd love to be able to scream out "Gilbee" again and we desperately need an outside mid/winger to develop

Great work! Only thing that looks a bit off from a dogs perspective is taking Magor. We desperately need some outside run so someone like Gilbee or Binns would be a better list fit but we do like taking inside mids!
TBH I do think we need an inside developing mid. Libba's getting on and we just lost Dunkley.
Small forward, KPD, wing and a developing inside mid all needs - and being greedy, I want us to rookie a ruckman too

No love for Jed Hagan? One of the few potential draftees to of played senior finals footy this year and held his own....despite his apparent lack of height and pace.
As I said, mostly used guys like Bangers, Chris and eDPS and didn't see them give him much.
Also in the Top 6 players in the AFL Academy, no love for Hagan.....or Munkara.....
Have followed Munkara pretty closely given he's an academy player for us. His off field stuff may see him go undrafted
Nice to see Cleaver get a bit of love here.
As a Bulldog fan, I'd love to be able to scream out "Gilbee" again and we desperately need an outside mid/winger to develop
Can understand that.

Fourth round:

Pick 66, Collingwood: Harry Barnett (WA, 202/93, Ruck)
Pick 14, Melbourne: Harry Barnett (West Adelaide, 202/93, Ruck). Considered the best ruck of the draft, and given both Gawn and Grundy's age with nothing in reserve since Jackson left, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees take a punt on Barnett here to add to their ruck division.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Brayden George, Jacob Konstanty

eth-dog,

Great work but you may want to edit Pick 66 unless there are 2 Harry's?

TBH I do think we need an inside developing mid. Libba's getting on and we just lost Dunkley.
Small forward, KPD, wing and a developing inside mid all needs - and being greedy, I want us to rookie a ruckman too
Yeah I get where you're coming from and wouldn't be disappointed if we took an inside mid but we do have west and Garcia who might be able to develop in that role and we currently don't have any players who I'm confident on playing wing and we've got Jones, Keith and Durea who are all close to the end in the back half so I see those needs as more pressing.
If we did pick up a mid I'd hope it was someone with some forward nous who can start closer to goals, perhaps George if he is there early in the second round. Otherwise someone who is powerful and aggressive with a defensive mindset which we might be able to find with a mature pick up. Someone like Newcome would be good.

As usual, I will be one of the first amateur's to do a phantom draft. I always do a "true" phantom and I will be incorporating live trading as well, at least for the first round. Most of this will be based off guys like Chris25, eDPS and PMBangers[/USER[/B]]. I'll do the first 4 rounds, first round will have a brief blurb, rounds after that purely just the picks and whether or not it's a matched bid. Most of this will be done tomorrow, will see how much of the first round I can smash out tonight.

Pick 1, Greater Western Sydney: Aaron Cadman (Greater Western Victoria Rebels, 194/88, Key Forward). The first team to trade into pick 1, I can't see them bidding on Ashcroft here as they've said that Cadman's their guy for this draft. Drawing comparisons to Jeremy Cameron, expect Cadman to play a lot of football next year as well.
Others considered: None.

Pick 2, Brisbane: Will Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons, 182/82, Inside Midfielder). 2013.6 points to match, matched with picks 34, 35, 36 and 38 with a 17.4 point surplus. Brisbane knew Ashcroft was going to be their guy and he will slot straight into the midfield of the Lions, making them an extremely attractive chance for the 2023 premiership.

Pick 3, North Melbourne: Harry Sheezel (SD, 184/77, Forward/Midfielder). Sheezel is the classiest player of this draft and has that innate goal sense about him, something that North Melbourne need in spades. I'd have taken him for North if they kept pick 1 so this is a big win.
Others considered: Elijah Tsatas, George Wardlaw.

Pick 4, North Melbourne: Elijah Tsatas (Oakleigh Chargers, 187/80, Balanced Midfielder). This was probably the hardest pick of them all, to go with Wardlaw or Tsatas? I wanted Tsatas for Essendon all year but the recent mail has suggested that North will take him here, adding a bit more class to the likes of Simpkin, Powell and Davies-Uniacke.
Others considered: George Wardlaw

Pick 5, Essendon: George Wardlaw (OC, 182/82, IM). Essendon probably have the easiest pick of the draft here. A clear cut top 5 and they get to pick whoever's left over amongst them. Wardlaw, an Essendon fan growing up, has excellent burst from a stoppage but his hamstrings are a concern which has seen him slide.

Pick 6, Gold Coast: Bailey Humphrey (Gippsland Power, 186/86 F/M). This is where things start to get interesting. Do the Suns go the key defender in Busslinger, or perhaps the inside grunt of Jhye Clark? I think they go with a Vic Country boy and a powerful midfielder who can go forward, but this one is definitely up in the air.
Others considered: Jhye Clark, Mattaes Phillipou, Jed Busslinger, Cameron Mackenzie

Pick 7, Hawthorne: Jhye Clark (Geelong Falcons, 181/77, IM). I think if he's available the Hawks will take approximately 2 seconds jumping on Clark. He's a good inside midfielder and tough as nails, something Sam Mitchell will like a lot. Watch him play 18+ games next year injuries permitting.
Others considered: Mattaes Phillipou, Cameron Mackenzie

Pick 8, Geelong: Mattaes Phillipou (Woodville-West Torrens Eagles, 192/83, M/F). With no Clark available, expect the Cats to go with the best available player and for me that's Phillipou. He's more of an outside midfielder than inside but he oozes class and kicks goals so this is one where I think they do extremely well for themselves.
Others considered: Jed Busslinger, Cameron Mackenzie

Pick 9, West Coast: Reuben Ginbey (East Perth, 188/81, Midfielder/Defender). West Coast traded down this year to be more in range for a couple of WA boys, and I'm expecting them to start with Ginbey to add to their defensive stocks rather than the midfield.
Others considered: Jed Busslinger, Elijah Hewett.

Pick 10, St. Kilda: Cameron Mackenzie (SD, 187/80, IM). Mackenzie is a St. Kilda next generation academy player but with them not getting rights to him until after pick 40 I'd expect them to take him here after investing time into him. Mackenzie adds to St. Kilda's midfield stocks and will be one to possibly have an immediate impact for next year.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Olli Hotton

Pick 11, Carlton: Olli Hotton (SD, 181/79, F/M). Hotton is a classy small forward and that's probably Carlton's biggest weakness at the moment so I'd be taking the small here and banking on improvement for 2023 in this area of the ground.
Others considered: Brayden George, Jed Busslinger, Elijah Hewett.

Pick 12, Western Bulldogs: Jed Busslinger (EP, 196/82, Key Defender). The Dogs would have been nervously waiting for this if it transpires this way, Busslinger is the best key defender of the draft and a big addition to the Dogs, who really want a long term key defender soon.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Elijah Hewett, Harry Barnett

Pick 13, West Coast: Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts, 185/84, IM). The second West Australian, the Eagles add much needed grunt in their engine room as they look to improve in the middle of the park, another one that could very well get early games for the Eagles.
Others considered: Brayden George, Matthew Jefferson.

Pick 14, Melbourne: Harry Barnett (West Adelaide, 202/93, Ruck). Considered the best ruck of the draft, and given both Gawn and Grundy's age with nothing in reserve since Jackson left, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees take a punt on Barnett here to add to their ruck division.
Others considered: Matthew Jefferson, Brayden George, Jacob Konstanty

Pick 15, Sydney: Jacob Konstanty (GP, 176/70, Small Forward). This is a tough one to pick, as Sydney are strong in all areas of the ground but I feel like another small forward could be on the menu here, with Konstanty being the obvious one to pick if they do go that way.
Others considered: Brayden George, Sam Gilbey

Pick 16, Essendon (live trade of pick 22 and Essendon F2 for pick 16): Oliver Hollands (Murray Bushrangers, 184/71, IM). Essendon would be wary of any bid coming in before Davey at pick 22 so expect them to try to trade up here to get another first. Hollands adds some more inside presence to the Dons and is the brother of Gold Coast midfielder Elijah too.
Others considered: Brayden George, Mitchell Szybkowski.

Pick 17, Collingwood: Matthew Jefferson (OC, 194/76, KF). Arguably the second best key forward of the under 18's, Collingwood will be thrilled to add Jefferson to their squad, which really lacks young key forwards in general, with really only Kreuger as a key forward and Ash Johnson as a medium.
Others considered: Brayden George, Isaac Keeler

Pick 18, Sydney: Brayden George (MB, 185/87, Medium Forward). After having him as a chance so often, here's where someone bites on the medium. With George being out of most of next year with an ACL injury, Sydney can sit back and relax about him.
Others considered: Sam Gilbey, Mitch Szybkowski

Pick 19, Greater Western Sydney: Charlie Clarke (SD, 182/75, SF). A small forward is definitely on the needs list for the Giants and Clarke is exactly what they need at this pick, a bit more presence to support the likes of Toby Greene around goals is what they'd want.
Others considered: Mitch Szybkowski, Henry Hustwaite
[/QUOTE]
[USER=148797]A11dAtP0w3R
[/USER]

Supporters will riot if we take a ruck at 14. :tearsofjoy:
lol u reckon? We need life after Gawn n Grundy anyway. We also need key forwards. We also need a key back for life after May and I think we could do with another good mid if Sparrow isn't going to eventuate so I think we can comfortably go best available with the first pick.

As much as I like Jefferson, my main watch on him is his softness. No doubt there are Jack Watts vibes but I think his ceiling is a poor mans Josh Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back