Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will come down to injuries.

Carlton comfortably top 4 when fit.
Agree. On paper Carlton have no weaknesses. Arguably best midfield. Top 3 forward line. Solid defence led by the league’s No.1 key defender IMO in Weitering. I’m tipping Top 4 finish

My bolter for 2023. They have built a premiership winning list. They now just have to hope Voss can execute. After what happened to them at the end of 2022, Voss is definitely the type of leader to help them bounce back.
Don't think we are a bolter.
We were in the mix for most of season and just ran out of petrol tickets towards the end after first season with new coach.
The list age profile is now ready to contend so do not see it as a bolter. Just where expect they should be after course correcting the mistakes of previous coaching regime.
Virtually every match in first season of new coach either won or were well in the match at some point apart from one or two matches with the most clear case of that being against eventual premier of Cats. That was only match I went to where never really had any momentum at any point.
Another off season of training with this new coaching group should have them better drilled on overall game plan.
I think there a lot of improvement to be expected individually in a lot of players and collectively as a team and this season would have added to their hunger to learn and improve even more.
Should be first real season of being in contention in over two decades.
But I think about seven or eight teams in contention so it will be a hotly contested flag next season.
If our young ruck division can improve and work with talented midfield group we will be right in the mix.
But it is not a bolter and we were in top half of ladder all season so it more natural improvement of players in right age bracket to come into their prime in next two to six years collectively.

Jesse Motlop looks to be a talented small forward.

Pittonet and De Koning aren't great, but Stanley and Blicavs aren't great either, and that ruck combo just won the flag.
I think we can learn a lot from how Cats used Stanley and Blicavs as this finals series went on.
They seemed to try to free up some of their better kickers in back half by helping out down back.
I do not think we need our own De Koning roam forward too much. He can still do that from time to time but would love to see more use down back too so good kicks like Weitering have more of a licence to roam further down the field and set up more of our attacks. Mitch McGovern and Weitering can do a bit more of what Saad was doing if a ruck is willing to drop back more and allow Weitering to know if he roams deeper up ground a ruck has his back down back at same time. Cats did that so well with likes of Stewart and others down back.

how do you call it a "bolter" when they've been building for 20 years? Gone through 30 first round picks since then?
Would need to be the greatest choke of all time to miss finals next year, not impossible tho.

how do you call it a "bolter" when they've been building for 20 years? Gone through 30 first round picks since then?
Would need to be the greatest choke of all time to miss finals next year, not impossible tho.
You and I have very different definitions of "building"

I was very very bullish with Carlton all year and if they didn’t shoot themselves ik the foot would have or should have played finals.

If they don’t play finals and go deep in 2023 questions will be asked.

A bolter for 2023? They missed the 8 by % only and for a decent chunk this season looked like that would be top 4 at the end of H&A.

I think port is more likely to be a bolter in 2023 than the blues.

A bolter for 2023? They missed the 8 by % only and for a decent chunk this season looked like that would be top 4 at the end of H&A.

I think port is more likely to be a bolter in 2023 than the blues.
Port are a very interesting case that have absolutely teased their fans for basically the entirety of Hinkley reign yet have nothing to show for it.

As it stands it’s a Geelong 2006 moment. They will either push forward and play to their potential or continue to be a play like farts in the wind.

Not entirely an accurate assertion. At the 'ruck craft' Stanley and Blicavs are sub-par. But they're both very good and in Blicavs case elite around the ground.

Given the unimportance of the hitout stat maybe they're not as average as perceived.

hitout stat was not as important when teams could flood back or play a loose man behind the ball. I'd like to see the stats for this year.

The fact that Melbourne is going heavy into ruck stocks makes me think that ruck is more important than people might think.

The fact that Melbourne is going heavy into ruck stocks makes me think that ruck is more important than people might think.
This will be a very interesting discussion point in 2023.

Collingwood have gone exactly the opposite way, and allowed Melbourne to take their premier tap ruckman, leaving us with more versatile players who can float between ruck and key position, which they deem more suitable to our gameplan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have gone exactly the opposite way, and allowed Melbourne to take their premier tap ruckman, leaving us with more versatile players who can float between ruck and key position, which they deem more suitable to our gameplan.
In other words they couldn't afford Grundy at Collingwood so why not pay for him to play elsewhere, lets sign De Goey for life and trade him next season for a second rounder lol.

List is ready to go
I would have liked a more mature ruckman but Kruezer retired early so we are left with relatively young ruck division that still learing. But with Cats having a makeshift ruck division with neither of Blicavs or Stanley an outstanding ruck on their own, it gives me hope we can make do if we use them in right way.

I would have liked a more mature ruckman but Kruezer retired early so we are left with relatively young ruck division that still learing. But with Cats having a makeshift ruck division with neither of Blicavs or Stanley an outstanding ruck on their own, it gives me hope we can make do if we use them in right way.

Premiership teams recently haven't really had the 'complete' lists the way they used to. If you are really strong in one area you can manage to cover a few weaknesses

Premiership teams recently haven't really had the 'complete' lists the way they used to. If you are really strong in one area you can manage to cover a few weaknesses
True, but i'm greedy and want more than one premiership with our list in next five years so i'm always aiming for the perfect mix

its interesting on a couple of levels.

With the way rotations work etc, i think the Grundy style ruckman (ie: the Dean Cox role) is dying out a little bit, whereas the big crash and bang ruckman (ie: the mumford/darcy types) were beginning to come back a bit.

its interesting on a couple of levels.

With the way rotations work etc, i think the Grundy style ruckman (ie: the Dean Cox role) is dying out a little bit, whereas the big crash and bang ruckman (ie: the mumford/darcy types) were beginning to come back a bit.

You have to wonder why the Pies didn’t replace Grundy with a more bash and crash type then.

Was less a strategic move and more a “we stuffed up our cap so hard we needed to trade an AA for peanuts” move.

Strong top dozen with Cripps, Walsh, Docherty, Weitering, Curnow and McKay.

But we know that - the question season to season is always where the improvement is going to come from. It will have to come from outside that bunch because almost all of them had a career best year in 2022. You would say Walsh will definitely get better, not sure about the others.

It’ll depend on the other 16 players on gameday. Who is going to take the big leap…

You have to wonder why the Pies didn’t replace Grundy with a more bash and crash type then.
Because belnakor on BigFooty thinks it is the way the AFL is going?

Maybe a 'bash and crash' style ruckman doesn't suit Collingwood's gameplan?

It's clear the club are targeting versatile players to ensure we have a flexible list to get us through the rigours of a season, and they prioritised to address other perceived deficiencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back