Good News Everyone - Carlton vs Richmond to be the season opener again in 2023

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
AFL finally come around to their senses.

Weather aside. Should be a packed 85 K crowd for this round 1 blockbuster between two of Victoria's most successful and loved power house clubs

futrama-love.gif

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Probably the first time in 42 years it will actually mean something.

Edit Correction:
Carlton and Richmond also played round one in 1983 when both contenders, so make that 40 years since it really had them both to be contenders going into the new season.

Last edited:
Not our fault the AFL and Channel 7 rate the Blues as the most valuable FTA club in the competition (oh wait, it is 😀😀)
You are very marketable for Channel 7.
Satisfy “sports” and “comedy” genre’s.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
More prime time slots for average clubs who don’t deserve it, disgusting.

Lol, get over it. Even when crap, Carlton will always bring in stronger TV ratings than an up and about Demons outfit.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Lol, get over it. Even when crap, Carlton will always bring in stronger TV ratings than an up and about Demons outfit.
Yes it’s true, very popular things are often quite bland.

By the way nothing to do with my team which has finished the last two home and away seasons in first and second place consecutively.

I would be happy to see any two teams which made the eight rewarded for their season, Collingwood Pie v Geelong Cats would be a real treat instead of the most irrelevant team of the last two decades, again.

If Carlton want nice prime time television they should earn it.

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes it’s true, very popular things are often quite bland.

By the way nothing to do with my team which has finished the last two home and away seasons in first and second place consecutively.

I would be happy to see any two teams which made the eight rewarded for their season, Collingwood Pie v Geelong Cats would be a real treat instead of the most irrelevant team of the last two decades, again.

If Carlton want nice prime time television they should earn it.
Thanks for this post for reminding me Melbourne supporters actually still exist. Haven't seen many since that Lions game I was scared something happened 😁

nickcat0

Team Captain
Jun 22, 2007
Southport, Lancashire, England.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
St Helens RFC
People can moan all they like, but the fact is that the "Big 4" Melbourne clubs have the largest following/memberships, with the exception of West Coast.

The AFL will always want to kick the season off with a big game, under the lights, at the MCG. Collingwood and Essendon have Anzac Day, so it's natural and understandable to give Carlton and Richmond the opening fixture.

Back