Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is such a nice thread. A lot of Vic Supporters turning a blind eye. Yeah nothing in this just interstate sides having a whinge. It's all just really nice,nothing wrong with telling a clubs they don't want to go there.

Will be even nicer come the end of next season when we will have 4-5 top WA talent do exactly the same thing and make statement they don't want to leave WA. It's just nice all round with no issues what's so ever. Thanks Victorian supporters for understanding

How many great careers has GWS destroyed already. Every year they suck up the best talent. Rarely like with Jeremy Cameron the player escapes in time for us to enjoy their talent for a few years. But mostly the top draft picks they hoard may as well have drafted into a black hole never to be seen again

Thats a big call but they do manage to offload players and get top 5 players most year. If any other team could do that then it would be an instant premiership.

Why do they continue to fail

Australian 18yo were fighting and dying for their country in the last century but gee I don't want to move away from Mum to play AFL in a foreign city, sob sob

And get paid good money too with a fair bit of pampering to keep them happy.

Players now know if they are any good they can completely dictate terms or head home.

This is such a nice thread. A lot of Vic Supporters turning a blind eye. Yeah nothing in this just interstate sides having a whinge. It's all just really nice,nothing wrong with telling a clubs they don't want to go there.

Will be even nicer come the end of next season when we will have 4-5 top WA talent do exactly the same thing and make statement they don't want to leave WA. It's just nice all round with no issues what's so ever. Thanks Victorian supporters for understanding

The problem is that it is rarer for the non-Victorian boys to do this. The top VIC Metro prospects all grow up thinking there is a 10 out of 18 chance they will stay in Victoria and as a result they never mentally prepare themselves for playing outside of Victoria. A WA prospect however knows he only has a 2 out of 18 chance of staying in Western Australia so he is very mentally prepared for going interstate since it is such a high probability.

How many great careers has GWS destroyed already. Every year they suck up the best talent. Rarely like with Jeremy Cameron the player escapes in time for us to enjoy their talent for a few years. But mostly the top draft picks they hoard may as well have drafted into a black hole never to be seen again

Why GWS exist is a whole different topic to this one.

The problem is that it is rarer for the non-Victorian boys to do this. The top VIC Metro prospects all grow up thinking there is a 10 out of 18 chance they will stay in Victoria and as a result they never mentally prepare themselves for playing outside of Victoria. A WA prospect however knows he only has a 2 out of 18 chance of staying in Western Australia so he is very mentally prepared for going interstate since it is such a high probability.

And a 90 percent chance it will not be with a Victorian “destination club” .

I don't like the idea of draftees dictating term where they want to go, but I can understand that an 18 year old who has likely been living with their parents all their life will find moving interstate daunting due to lack of independence that comes with age and experience. Though you'd expect a person in their late 20's to have the independence to be able to move interstate comfortably.

While it won't fully fix the issue I do like the idea to have a portion of the salary for a player who moves to a club not from their original state not count towards the cap relating to age (e.g. 25% not counted for 18-21 year olds, 20% for 22-23 year olds, 15% for 24-25 year olds and 10% for 26-27 year olds.

This will mean it will give them incentive to remain at the interstate club or they will be taking a pay cut if they want to go back to their original state.

Prove it. I've never seen it and I watch the draft closely. WA talent have never gone out making statements to this point. But 100% they will now. It's fair game now. All interstate clubs should take note of what's happening because Vic draftees have now been doing it pretty obvious the last couple of seasons.
Probably because no one wants to stay in WA, don't blame them.

What is the OP on about?

Harry states he is quite willing to play anywhere in Australia, but his preference is to remain in Melbourne - how the actual * is this draft tampering.

I have close ties with the Jewish community so I know why he would prefer to stay close to his family and friends. The Jewish community is a very tight knit and is continually challenged by prejudice and threatened by persecution.

Antisemitism is ever present in Australia.

It is so brave that they mention their mental health to stay. Brisbane were choosing Vic Country and have a second pick on their friend.

What is the OP on about?

Harry states he is quite willing to play anywhere in Australia, but his preference is to remain in Melbourne - how the actual * is this draft tampering.

I have close ties with the Jewish community so I know why he would prefer to stay close to his family and friends. The Jewish community is a very tight knit and is continually challenged by prejudice and threatened by persecution.

Um what? Criticism of a person who just happens to be Jewish does not make them antisemitic.

What is the OP on about?

Read between the lines. 100% it's draft tampering. It's being clueless and naive to think otherwise. Guess you don't know how the drafting systems works if you think it's not. Also religion has nothing to do with drafting and when players dictate where they want to play it is comprising the integrity of the comp. It's pretty simple to see.

If players refuse to get picked up by certain clubs they should be excluded from AFL for a period of 5 years.
Play local state reserves if they can't handle the rigors of professional AFL. They are on big money contracts and should just have to deal with it. Nothing to do with a players religion and is pretty clueless and silly to think that.

Last edited:
What is the OP on about?

While your quote about antisemitism is irrelevant to this topic……I agree clubs definitely need to take players personal situations into account when judging if a player will be a flight risk.

The Jewish community is very tight-nit, so family ties in this individual case would obviously be a consideration. That’s a generalisation of course and applicable on a case by case basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While your quote about antisemitism is irrelevant to this topic……I agree clubs definitely need to take players personal situations into account when judging if a player will be a flight risk.

The Jewish community is very tight-nit, so family ties in this individual case would obviously be a consideration. That’s a generalisation of course and applicable on a case by case basis.
You could say tight-nit for everything really. I have family and friends and consider both my family and friends all to be tight nit.

Regardless if someone is in a tight nit community or not it still doesn't change anything. You want to play AFL you going have to come to terms with the requirements. Its not up to the AFL but the individual. If not happy with it go do something else in life. All I'm seeing is someone not cut out to be a professional sports athlete if they can't move interstate. An exclusion of 5 years should stay in all these cases if they arise. It's the only way to stop draft tampering.

Prove it. I've never seen it and I watch the draft closely. WA talent have never gone out making statements to this point. But 100% they will now. It's fair game now. All interstate clubs should take note of what's happening because Vic draftees have now been doing it pretty obvious the last couple of seasons.
It’s about options.

There are only two WA teams and 10 Victorian.

It’s easier for the Victorian metro to pull the don’t trade me bs.

I was talking with a current AFL player a few years.

Port was interested in him and his manager pulled a few tricks to discourage them drafting him. He didn’t need to say anything.

He got to the Victorian club he wanted to go.

If players refuse to get picked up by certain clubs they should be excluded from AFL for a period of 5 years.
No one is refusing anything so what's your point?

And if this was as big an issue as you're trying to make it, why did GWS move themselves up to no.1, only to have to settle for someone who isn't their first choice?

The only thing close to a solution to any of this is longer contracts for draftees.

Even if a player said their preference was to stay in Vic, a team could still spend a high pick and know they wouldn't be forced into a trade after 12 months.
I would add that a contracted player who wants to back home doesn’t have a choice of club.

The player can nominate a state but not a club.

Gives the club more power to get a better deal.

No one is refusing anything so what's your point?

And if this was as big an issue as you're trying to make it, why did GWS move themselves up to no.1, only to have to settle for someone who isn't their first choice?
GWS have no choice as they have no home grown state talent. GWS and GC are both basket cases. Who can the draft from NSW and Gold Coast. Both rugby dominated states. AFL would of been better to bring in Tasmania over those two clubs. At least Tasmania have there own talent and is a footy state.

I've said this so many times in other threads, but we are moving into a current situation, where it's zones without zones.

Eagles are looking at drafting two of Buss, Hewett and Ginbey.

Swans put a lot of focus into their academy.

Giants are trying only to draft Vic country boys.

Adelaide just brought back Rankine after his initial contract and they're looking at drafting Michelaney and Keeler.

Port just brought back JHF after 1 year.

Freo just brought in Jackson after his initial contract and are able to draft more freely outside of WA, as they're becoming more successful.

Brisbane can basically draft/trade in anyone they want, as they're successful, contending and have the allure of being a desirable place to live.

GC are focusing on only bringing guys who will stay over best available.

We literally seem to just want Falcons after the Clark/Kelly debacle over the course of 3 years - we also are worried about Shannon Neale going home end of this year too. We've basically said we're not going to draft interstate with first rounders anymore - as we've seen the writing on the wall.

Make no mistake, if Eagles were successful right now, then more talent would be coming back the other way - just like it has in the past with Redden, TK, Yeo, Jetta, S. Mitchell, Vardy, J. Cripps, Wellingham etc. If we weren't contending regularly, we wouldn't get anywhere near as many players who wanted to come to us.

Richmond wouldn't have landed TT and Hopper if they were Bottom 6. I mean, look at Essendon and Hawthorn (who used to attract big names every off season) this trade period - no-one really wanted to go there this year.

It's a mix of clubs using go home factor more than ever, and clubs who are contending utilizing this from the get go. I mean hell, the WA papers were saying right after we drafted TK, that you'd be chasing him. It made sense for him in the end as we were both contending, but he got more support back home.

With all of this said, I honestly would be fine if we just went back to zones, priority academy picks etc. Something does need to change, but it's probably more the system of being able to move to top clubs so easily, that's the real issue.

If draftees knew they couldn't move home so easily, they may try to make a better fist of it, as the route home would not be so easy. Unfortunately, for now though, we just have to work with what we've got and so for you guys, that means drafting/recruiting local talent - just like a lot of other clubs are starting to do.

GWS have no choice as they have no home grown state talent. GWS and GC are both basket cases. Who can the draft from NSW and Gold Coast. Both rugby dominated states. AFL would of been better to bring in Tasmania over those two clubs. At least Tasmania have there own talent and is a footy state.
That wasn't an answer to my question.

Why did Giants move from 2nd to 1st, only to take their 2nd choice because their First is a flight risk?

Geelong supporters busy on this thread, feeling pretty smug right now saying it's no big deal when we know Geelong has the biggest go home magnet of any club

For ex Geelong Falcons U18s? And maybe we'd get a look from ex-Rebels? Why would a player who was drafted from the Bushrangers, Power, Stingrays, Pioneers or any of the Vic Metro NAB league clubs choose Geelong? How many draftees come out of the Falcons every year, compared to, say, the entire SA and WA U18 national championship squads?

Although we gained a couple of ex Falcons in the trade period, we actually also lost one of our recent first rounders for pennies on the dollar, because he wanted to go. And he was an ex-Falcon too.

It's a concern, especially for the expansion franchises and people are kidding themselves if they think a Tassie AFL side won't deal with something very similar if and when they join the league (how many top line current AFL players came from Tasmania?). I'd say that perhaps something like having an additional 10% that doesn't count against your cap to sign players whom you originally drafted would be worth looking at.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back