Opinion Has the MCG become a homogeneous ground ?

Have all the MCG redevelopments lessened its appeal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Definition of homogeneous
1 : of the same or a similar kind or nature. 2 : of uniform structure or composition throughout a culturally homogeneous neighborhood.

The SCG retained its Ladies Stand and Members Stand and still looks great.
images (71).jpeg

The Adelaide oval has trees and the redevelopment was a great success.
images (72).jpeg
AdelaideOval.jpg

The MCG has demolished every old granstand and is one big concrete ground. You wouldn't know if you were in Dubai or Australia if you didn't know.
images (73).jpeg

The MCG has demolished every old granstand and is one big concrete ground. You wouldn't know if you were in Dubai or Australia if you didn't know.
View attachment 1541770
Been there hundres of times. Trust me, I can tell I not in Dubai.
I kind of miss the hill at Adelaide Oval to sit on the hill under a big tree.
Similarly the hill is gone from the Sydney.
Missed the Fremantle Doctor in the cricket in Perth too..
Alas, times change..

Being from SA I do not miss Footy Park. That place sucked. In the middle of bum*idaho and nowhere to go after. Adelaide Oval is amazing.
There are different ways of looking at that - and i went their 3-4 times v Crows - and also went to that very important 1990 preseason practise game between Port and Geel - wher 26000 turned up - and thats why Port got offered to join the AFL after the SANFL snubbed the AFL

I agree with you - its in the middle of no where - West Lakes

However purely the football oval/ground kills Ade Oval - Football park was a big - proper size football ground - it reminded me of Waverly - and it was open to the elements - eg wind

And at Football Park - the Crows had a real home ground advantage - Geel had a horrendous record their - a nightmare ground - eg Premiers in 2011 and flogged in 2012 by about 13 goals - and the Crows wernt worlbeaters - similarly Ess and HAW ( who had good sides at the time ) had shocking records their - and Nth Melb i dont think ever won a single game their

Sure Ade Oval - its modern - its right near the city - but it is a skinny ground like Kardinia Park and Subiaco

And opposition teams dont fear playing at Ade Oval - its easy to win their - but Football Park was an absolute graveyard for alot of visiting teams - primarily because it was a very big ground - and open to the elements - Crows had a real home ground advantage - and infinitely harder to beat their than Ade Oval

There are different ways of looking at that - and i went their 3-4 times v Crows - and also went to that very important 1990 preseason practise game between Port and Geel - wher 26000 turned up - and thats why Port got offered to join the AFL after the SANFL snubbed the AFL

However purely the football oval/ground kills Ade Oval - Football park was a big - proper size football ground - it reminded me of Waverly - and it was open to the elements - eg wind

And at Football Park - the Crows had a real home ground advantage - Geel had a horrendous record their - a nightmare ground - eg Premiers in 2011 and flogged in 2012 by about 13 goals - and the Crows wernt worlbeaters - similarly Ess and HAW ( who had good sides at the time ) had shocking records their - and Nth Melb i dont think ever won a single game their

Sure Ade Oval - its modern - its right near the city - but it is a skinny ground like Kardinia Park and Subiaco

And opposition teams dont fear playing at Ade Oval - its easy to win their - but Football Park was an absolute graveyard for alot of visiting teams - primarily because it was a very big ground - and open to the elements - Crows had a real home ground advantage - and infinitely harder to beat their than Ade Oval

Yeah you are right there. The amount of times I've been to footy park to see the Hawks lose by 100 plus was demoralising/character building. At Adelaide Oval we have a very good strike rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps a new oval is required in Melboume first, to replace docklands
Now, you talking. Bulldoze the shithole and let's build a 70,000 seat ground out in South-Eastern region where people from Mornington Peninsula and Gippsland would likely attend as it less trouble to get home.
Maybe a similar size ground in some outer Northern suburb too.
Why we have two grounds in inner city only in a metro region that spreads out so far, especially in the east and south is just nuts.

Last edited:
Now, you talking. Bulldoze the shithole and let's build a 70,000 seat ground out in South-Eastern region where people from Mornington Peninsula and Gippsland would likely attend as it less trouble to get home.
Maybe a similar size ground in some outer Northern suburb too.
Why we have two grounds in inner city only it a metro region that spreads out so far, especially in the east and south is just nuts.

Yep

Especially given the US went to a decentralised model so people could access the game easily

Never understood the hatred for Marvel. Great viewing ground. Marvel is as under rated as the MCG is over rated.
Love watching the footy at Marvel. The atmosphere when that place is anywhere near full and it’s a close game is extraordinary. The roof just keeps it all in.

I’ve been to grand finals and preliminary finals but damn, the atmosphere at that R14 game between St Kilda and Geelong in 2009 was something else.

As it was for the similar game between St Kilda and Brisbane in 2004, when both those teams were on fire and it was jam-packed and it went down to the wire.

The place was pulsating.

Love watching the footy at Marvel. The atmosphere when that place is anywhere near full and it’s a close game is extraordinary. The roof just keeps it all in.

I’ve been to grand finals and preliminary finals but damn, the atmosphere at that R14 game between St Kilda and Geelong in 2009 was something else.

As it was for the similar game between St Kilda and Brisbane in 2004, when both those teams were on fire and it was jam-packed and it went down to the wire.

The place was pulsating.

The problem is you won't get crowds like that often if again.

You might get 40-45k sometimes in certain situations. Club Medallion and level 2 in general never shows.

Pricing also s**t. So are ticketmaster pushing s**t to members.

The problem is you won't get crowds like that often if again.

You might get 40-45k sometimes in certain situations. Club Medallion and level 2 in general never shows.

Pricing also s**t. So are ticketmaster pushing s**t to members.
Because we kept our memberships in the two Covid years, they upgraded ours last season to reserved seats on level 1, and even when there’s only say 20,000 at the ground, the atmosphere down there (especially if you’re sitting under the overhanging level 2) was pretty amazing, when we were on fire in a game, or it got close.

Been there hundres of times. Trust me, I can tell I not in Dubai.
I kind of miss the hill at Adelaide Oval to sit on the hill under a big tree.
Similarly the hill is gone from the Sydney.
Missed the Fremantle Doctor in the cricket in Perth too..
Alas, times change..
Umm what??

Back