Opinion Has the MCG become a homogeneous ground ?

Have all the MCG redevelopments lessened its appeal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Those two old grandstands make it look great. Makes the atmosphere better. It looked awesome during the cricket at sunset the other night.
Got a pic? For football it’s hideously ugly

There are different ways of looking at that - and i went their 3-4 times v Crows - and also went to that very important 1990 preseason practise game between Port and Geel - wher 26000 turned up - and thats why Port got offered to join the AFL after the SANFL snubbed the AFL

I agree with you - its in the middle of no where - West Lakes

However purely the football oval/ground kills Ade Oval - Football park was a big - proper size football ground - it reminded me of Waverly - and it was open to the elements - eg wind

And at Football Park - the Crows had a real home ground advantage - Geel had a horrendous record their - a nightmare ground - eg Premiers in 2011 and flogged in 2012 by about 13 goals - and the Crows wernt worlbeaters - similarly Ess and HAW ( who had good sides at the time ) had shocking records their - and Nth Melb i dont think ever won a single game their

Sure Ade Oval - its modern - its right near the city - but it is a skinny ground like Kardinia Park and Subiaco

And opposition teams dont fear playing at Ade Oval - its easy to win their - but Football Park was an absolute graveyard for alot of visiting teams - primarily because it was a very big ground - and open to the elements - Crows had a real home ground advantage - and infinitely harder to beat their than Ade Oval
Certainly Waverley was a ground Geelong had a very moderate record at, glad when it closed after 1999. Geelong actually had a pretty ordinary record at Telstra Dome too (Well I'll always call it that even though it's Marvel now) but certainly from '07 onwards it's been fairly imposing.

But yeah, 1992 when Geelong were top, they were smashed by 91 points by the Crows playing at Football Park late in the season and Scott Hodges kicked 11.

That provokes a stat question now that i think of it, how many top of the ladder sides had two 10+ bags kicked against them in the one year? As Dunstall kicked a dozen in Rd 1 that season.

To me it's more of an issue for Perth than it is for the MCG. Yes there can be an atmosphere in that ground (I've been there for 50k+ crowds pre Covid), but the reason for the high rating I've always maintained is that nothing like this had ever been built in Perth.

What gives the MCG the aura to me isn't the rebuilding of the stands, but all the history of what's happened on the ground rather than the surrounds.

For something that is supposed to be world class, the SCG really is a monstrosity. But yes it does look a lot better for cricket.

Maybe it’s rich since I like Metricon but it helps when they keep the grass so beautifully green and since I’m usually lit it’s visually appealing.

To me it's more of an issue for Perth than it is for the MCG. Yes there can be an atmosphere in that ground (I've been there for 50k+ crowds pre Covid), but the reason for the high rating I've always maintained is that nothing like this had ever been built in Perth.

What gives the MCG the aura to me isn't the rebuilding of the stands, but all the history of what's happened on the ground rather than the surrounds.
I don't know. The surrounds feels like sacred ground for the very sport itself in my view. To think the first matches of the sport were played in the parks and trees surrounding the stands is massive in terms of history for me.

My family and I did the SCG tour, and I really wanted to like the ground, but when we went up the escalator and looked out across the ground, I was really disappointed. It looked mismatched and tired, and except for the two heritage stands, ironically, the rest of it looked run down. I was taken aback when the tour guide said that the other stand had just been redeveloped, because to me it looked 'old fashioned' and rundown. The state of the ground was poor also. The biggest kicker was during the video that we all had to watch, that it was declared the greatest sporting stadium in Australia, and one of the best in the world.....Interestingly, the ground was built on a drained swamp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, you talking. Bulldoze the shithole and let's build a 70,000 seat ground out in South-Eastern region where people from Mornington Peninsula and Gippsland would likely attend as it less trouble to get home.
Maybe a similar size ground in some outer Northern suburb too.
Why we have two grounds in inner city only in a metro region that spreads out so far, especially in the east and south is just nuts.
I get the romance, but I'd sooner see the Carrara Bears back in the AFL before Waverley Park. The reality is that the only way to get 70,000 people reliably and conveniently to the footy is to have the majority of them on a train - and that means a central location, given the all-roads-lead-to-Rome structure of our current PT system.

Driving out to Mulgrave isn't realistic - especially given that the Monash is far more clogged than it was back in the 70s/80s. You can't build a stadium on the basis of the population of Mornington and Gippsland any more than you could build it on the basis of the population of Bacchus Marsh or Shepparton. Getting to that part of Melbourne from the north or the west is just a horrid trip.

I get the romance, but I'd sooner see the Carrara Bears back in the AFL before Waverley Park.
I did not say Waverley Park. That ground was not romantic to me. It was just a wonderful point of difference to the older grounds in Melbourne and wonderful if you lived way out of city out that way and had fantastic capacity which other grounds could not have.
Carrara is back already actually. It where Suns play....

I did not say Waverley Park. That ground was not romantic to me. It was just a wonderful point of difference to the older grounds in Melbourne and wonderful if you lived way out of city out that way and had fantastic capacity which other grounds could not have.
Carrara is back already actually. It where Suns play....
Ah ok, I thought you were being cryptic and specifically referring to Waverley.

Anyway, IMO if you were going to have a suburban ground, you probably still need it to be near the junction of multiple train lines. It'll probably be a lot more feasible to do that if/once the Vic Gov gets the ring rail project done.

Yes, I've been to Carrara recently (I live in Brisbane). The ground itself is nice but getting there is still painful.

I love the SCG, the two stands that have been retained help it keep its charm imo.

I do agree with the op about grounds that become concrete jungles, whilst they are impressive structures they do lack something.

The idea nowadays of having the dishies at the Gabba is just absurd

Many many many years ago - there was a greyhound track at Arden St at North Melbourne

And when it got demolished - like when somethings get demolished a few secrets get revealed

And what they found - was at the starting boxes - there were underground tunnels

So if the bookies ( in the know ) layed for a stack some short priced fave to get beat - someone would crawl down the tunnel leading to the box the fave had drawn - and hold the dogs back legs - so it would miss the kick by 5-6 lengths - gonzo

The poor punters hey - ha -ha-ha

The MCG has demolished every old granstand and is one big concrete ground. You wouldn't know if you were in Dubai or Australia if you didn't know.
What the * is this supposed to mean? The same would go for anywhere else?

Back