Opinion Has the MCG become a homogeneous ground ?

Have all the MCG redevelopments lessened its appeal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What the * is this supposed to mean? The same would go for anywhere else?
There's been no history preserved , there's no grassed areas or trees, the ground coukd be more inviting and pleasant.
It's not all about cramming in as many people as you can.
It's not that enjoyable going there with a small crowd. They could of retained some of the grounds character.

"Has become". The current configuration was brought in 20 years ago for the Commonwealth Games in 06.
Wait till you discover Richmond won a few flags in 2035 or so.

Yep, it's still there.

The MCG is way better than Adelaide Oval.

Grass and trees and an old scoreboard in the middle of the most boring city in the world... boohoo

Love watching the footy at Marvel. The atmosphere when that place is anywhere near full and it’s a close game is extraordinary. The roof just keeps it all in.

I’ve been to grand finals and preliminary finals but damn, the atmosphere at that R14 game between St Kilda and Geelong in 2009 was something else.

As it was for the similar game between St Kilda and Brisbane in 2004, when both those teams were on fire and it was jam-packed and it went down to the wire.

The place was pulsating.
I completely agree - plus it is the easiest of all stadiums to get to. Literally a 400m walk from literally every train line in Melbourne.

I love the AO they have made it a modern stadium but kept some old-world charm kept the hill below the iconic scoreboard and the Moreton Bay figs at the Cathedral End.

Walking across the bridge from the station a great build up to any game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the MCG, I prefer Docklands (to avoid the elements) but wish it had a permanent clear roof, it doesn't need to feel like a dungeon in the middle of the day.

I think the "character" of suburban-like stadiums doesn't mean too much to me.

If the ACT Government could do something about the seating without ruining the views, Manuka Oval would be the best ground to watch cricket or footy.

Manuka%20Hospitality.ashx

And perhaps heated seats for those cold winter evenings when it starts snowing. :)

have seen stands built and replaced, but for me the G has the unique atmosphere of the wondrous deeds accumulated there over a century and yonks.

Docklands should be demolished And replaced with a decent stadium at Albert Park.

Given the incessant rain in Sydney a covered stadium is needed. Randwick should be used. The racetrack would also be covered.

The old stands certainly had character but the sci-fi nerd in me loves the giant concrete megastructures - it looks like something from Rollerball or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and that's cool with me.

They could have kept the members stand and at least preserved some history.
When were you last in the Members at the MCG? History has been preserved.

When were you last at the SCG? The Members pavilion might look nice from a distance, but it is a s**t-hole up close

Adelaide Oval is magnificent, but it is only a 50,000 stadium (max). If you want a stadium with 100,000 capacity something has to give

Lets get really modern and plant trees on the roof of the stands at the G to give fans what they want when they go to the footy , to look at trees.

If you want a large capacity at a stadium you can't keep the old s**t
I think what would help enormously is just some differentiation between the stands. Colour, levels, sizing, height.

Plus a little bit of architectural personality in, for example, the roofing over the stands would be nice. Though I do appreciate that is a tough assignment for such a tall stadium.

Back