Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure Hawks fans would rather the 4 premiership medals and Norm Smith Cyril won at their club tbh

This whole thread is pretty much academic as North Melbourne will take Sheezel with one of their picks anyway.
its not academic in the context of wce trading out pick 2 with the assumption that sheezel and others towards the top end of the draft were considered serious flight risks by the club

In what other industry does being the best mean you work for the worst?
Who can blame players like JHF wanting to leave the rabble he was drafted too.

its not academic in the context of wce trading out pick 2 with the assumption that sheezel and others towards the top end of the draft were considered serious flight risks by the club

I don't think any clubs should ever be gun shy from trying to draft the best available talent (no matter which state they are from) and back their culture in to keep them happy.

Case in point Freo and Serong, one of their best young players (possibly future captain) who is a Victorian and seems (well I hope) to be at Freo for the long haul.

The Giants approach, which Jason McCartney has publicly gone on record, is probably the most sensible course of action for non Vic clubs

Aside from extending the initial contracts of draftees (least first rounders) from 2 to 3 years, I honestly don't see much more than the AFL can do to rectify this problem of the OP.

But he’s not refusing to play interstate. He has stated he would give it his best crack, but it’s not his preference.

He was asked the question of how he’d feel about moving interstate to play. What would you prefer he do - bullshit them and trot out the party line?
He played it smart, that's why it's not draft tampering. He also made it clear he's a risk to any interstate team that picks him up, that's why it's not nothing.

Kelly was a mature player. 24 years old when Geelong drafted him. I guess that's another question. Do we consider age profile into this. If Kelly was to do 5 years with Geelong he would be 29 by the time that first contract is up.

Little different to a 18 year old and being 23 after 5 years. Good question though and if AFL were to make draftees do 5 year stints what happens to mature draftees
Because you didn't draft him sooner.

He played it smart, that's why it's not draft tampering. He also made it clear he's a risk to any interstate team that picks him up, that's why it's not nothing.

Yep. Said just enough to strongly imply "I don't want to go interstate and if you draft me and I have to leave Victoria I will be heading back pretty quickly"

What would you prefer?

If Sheezel lied or gave some mealy mouthed statement, and then WCE draft him at Pick 2 only to see him go home after a couple of years, you'd be screaming at him even harder.

It is not an easy fix as you can't blame a kid for wanting to stay home, however it is a national draft and these kids need to be better prepared to have a career away from home, if that means raising the draft age or whatever. If for example Nick Daicos was picked by West Coast, Adelaide, Brisbane ect... with their number 2 pick , and he wanted Collingwood after 2 years Collingwood need to come up with draft value worth pick 2 to account for what it initially cost West Coast to get him, and then because he wins the rising star and proves to be an absolute jet of the comp the AFL needs to compensate West Coast for losing a star , and compensate them with a top 5 pick. So essentially West coast or Adelaide, or Brisbane ect... get 2 top 5 selections ( not future selection but ones that can be used immediately) for losing Daicos. Now clubs that wanted a certain high end player in a the draft, risk not getting them because they just slid down the picking order.........

In saying all this clubs have to still back their system and culture to retain players from interstate. With JHF ,not surprising that he wanted to go home, might play finals at the back end of his career , coach go sacked, new coach has some baggage that is being publicly looked at ect....Being a destination club is not just for trading of existing players it applies to the draft as well. If JHF was drafted by Sydney or Geelong in 21, I doubt JHF conversations are happening at all.

Last edited:
It's... look, it's not nothing, but he doesn't really have a good choice.

"I'd prefer to stay, but I'd make the best crack of it I could" is probably the best alternative, over the top of telling lies or saying "don't draft me".

Kelly was a mature player. 24 years old when Geelong drafted him. I guess that's another question. Do we consider age profile into this. If Kelly was to do 5 years with Geelong he would be 29 by the time that first contract is up.

Little different to a 18 year old and being 23 after 5 years. Good question though and if AFL were to make draftees do 5 year stints what happens to mature draftees
I think there's also some capacity for account of individual circumstances. Kelly had very good reason for returning home, as would someone with, say, a terminally ill parent.

In what other industry does being the best mean you work for the worst?
Who can blame players like JHF wanting to leave the rabble he was drafted too.

Being the no.1 draft pick doesn’t necessarily mean he will turn out a great player. There’s been many over the years who haven’t.

I don’t know that your club is that much better than North. What have Port achieved lately? You’ve got a president and coach that have taken you nowhere and most of your supporters seem to hate them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many kids of that age want be drafted interstate away from family. NONE.

He is stating the bleeding obvious but also saying he will give it a crack if drafted interstate.

What more do you want from him?

Was Pavlich begging to be drafted by a WA club?

The Luke Ball thing was the biggest example of draft tampering you'll see.

The AFL just allowed it and Collingwood got who they wanted.
??
StKilda and R.Lyon didnt have confidence in L.Ball anymore.

L.Ball was confident in his own ability and wanted a major role in the guts, Collingwood needed an inside mid.

St Kilda refused to trade him to Collingwood, a fellow premiership threat.

St Kilda being absolute dicks is why the league brought in free agency, Ball should have been able to walk to the club of his choice after all the service he gave the Saints.

Thankfully in true StK style it blew up in their face.

Being the no.1 draft pick doesn’t necessarily mean he will turn out a great player. There’s been many over the years who haven’t.

I don’t know that your club is that much better than North. What have Port achieved lately? You’ve got a president and coach that have taken you nowhere and most of your supporters seem to hate them.
The #1 pick is, at age 17/18, the #1 prospect in the league, even if that doesn't always pan out in the long run.

North is - with apologies to North fans - a long way behind Port. Haven't played finals since 2016, have recorded successive finishes of 17, 18 and 18, has had five coaches since 2019, has the smallest crowds in Melbourne, and they haven't been able to nail much in the way of draft picks.

Port finished a goal off the GF in 2020, have had coaching stability, has a good solid list of younger players coming through, large crowds, and should play finals at a minimum next year.

The #1 pick is, at age 17/18, the #1 prospect in the league, even if that doesn't always pan out in the long run.

North is - with apologies to North fans - a long way behind Port. Haven't played finals since 2016, have recorded successive finishes of 17, 18 and 18, has had five coaches since 2019, has the smallest crowds in Melbourne, and they haven't been able to nail much in the way of draft picks.

Port finished a goal off the GF in 2020, have had coaching stability, has a good solid list of younger players coming through, large crowds, and should play finals at a minimum next year.

Yes all valid points, I just thought it was a bit mean for a Port supporter to hang it on North after practically stealing their no.1 pick.

Let’s hope things improve for the Kangas next year for the good of the comp.

Has any NBA player ever demanded to be traded to their home city
It's not really comparable at all. The money is worlds apart. Early AFL draftees are on $150k a season. The NBA number 1 pick gets over $9 million dollars.

It's the same with every other contract. The financial benefits & system in place simply outweigh 'home'.

??
StKilda and R.Lyon didnt have confidence in L.Ball anymore.

L.Ball was confident in his own ability and wanted a major role in the guts, Collingwood needed an inside mid.

St Kilda refused to trade him to Collingwood, a fellow premiership threat.

St Kilda being absolute dicks is why the league brought in free agency, Ball should have been able to walk to the club of his choice after all the service he gave the Saints.

Thankfully in true StK style it blew up in their face.

The fact it was draft tampering remains

It's only draft tampering if it has been proven he had been in collusion with North Melbourne or any other Victorian Club before the draft.

I think West Coast need to try look at how they have done their rebuild and managed to keep some of their interstate young guns like Serong.

It's only draft tampering if it has been proven he had been in collusion with North Melbourne or any other Victorian Club before the draft.

I think West Coast need to try look at how they have done their rebuild and managed to keep some of their interstate young guns like Serong.
It's only draft tampering by a club* if he's been in collusion.

However, if he was to, for example, refuse to interview with a club or indicate a refusal to play for them if drafted, that's tampering IMO.

It's only draft tampering by a club* if he's been in collusion.

However, if he was to, for example, refuse to interview with a club or indicate a refusal to play for them if drafted, that's tampering IMO.

Sheezal clearly has done nothing of this things though, feels like bit of an overreaction/beat up by the OP.

West Coast has a far better record of retaining interstate talent than Freo. Hell, Freo lost Cerra last year, the Eagles last lost someone of significance in 2007. I'm not interested in the issue from a West Coast perspective, just a national comp perspective. Gold Coast and GWS are the most affected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back