Port Adelaide
Pick 1 - Will Ashcroft (Brisbane)
Best Available

Pick 2 - Aaron Cadman (GWS)
Best Tall Available

Pick 3 - George Wardlaw (North)
Best Available. Seen as a JHF replacment

Pick 4 - Harry Sheezel (North)
I have the same 2nd thoughts as i did with Rachelle last year. Sheezel isnt as good, not as tough. Sheezel doesnt have that speed, size or brutality are my question mmarks. I think could challenge Zurhaar and come 2nd in Norths goalkicking next year.

Pick 5 - Bailey Humphrey (Essendon)
Probably not a need unless they think hes a genuine full time midfielder down the track which many will think he can be that. Similar size to Perkins and challenges his position year 1.

Pick 6 - Jhye Clark (Gold Coast)
Desperate for mids, his leadership will be hard to pass up.

Pick 7 - Elijiah Tsatas (Hawks)
Well he becomes the slider. Hawks will be very happy to take best available midfielder after losing Shiels, JOM, T.Mitchell

Pick 8 - Matt Jefferson (Geelong)
Maybe a smidge early. Need key forwards with Hawkins, Rohan and even Jezza getting to the later stages. Ratugolea and S.Neale will be heavily targeted and a likely chance to depart in 12 months

PIck 9 - Reuben Ginbey (West Coast)
Sounds like they traded down for him. Need midfielders

Pick 10 - Cam Mckenzie (Saints)
Id personally prefer Hewett, Phillipou, Hollands ect but he has that alignment and been under their nose more than most

Pick 11 - Jedd Busslinger (Carlton)
Going with the tall defender here. Lewis Hayes is young and had an ok year but he was basically discarded by the dogs. Hes limited, he doesnt have the ability of 1st drafted key defenders like Busslonger and the blues could play all 3 when Busslinger is ready in a few years time. Depth will be important regardless. Konstanty, L.Hayes Hollands options

Pick 12 - Elijiah Hewett (Western Bulldogs)
Jumping In ahead of the eagles here. I think they will want a ready to go midfielder in year 1. Losing Dunkley, Treloars ageing and questionable body at times. Some depth in this area will be important. Phillipou seems a very dogs player aswell, just he needs developing. Hollands an option aswell

Pick 13 - Olli Hollands (West Coast)
Between him and Phillipou. Think Keeler could come into considerstion as a tall. Maybe Ed Allen as the local product but have just grabbed a big mid in Ginbey. Hollnads will be a mr fix it and can be morphed into a player who can play anywhere

Pick 14 - Isaac Keeler (Melbourne)
Think they need a key forward more than a key back or mid. With Weideman, Jackson and M.Brown gone. B.Brown, Gawn, TMAC all closer to the end i think they would like to target a tall forward to tandem JVR.

Pick 15 - Mattaes Phillipou (Sydney)
Best Available and a steal. I dont think they will be quick enough to call this one if available. Think Ed Allen will be a big look here aswell

Pick 16 - J.Konstanty (GWS)
Another Vic Country kid to target with Cadman. They desperatly need a small forward. Greene, Konstanty, Bedford, B.Daniels fills this out nicely

Pick 17 - Lewis Hayes (Collingwood)
Best Available Tall. Need a tall defender to tandem with Moore. Howe and Murphy playing the year above their size. Roughead gone. Frampton a gap stop

Pick 18 - Ed Allen (Sydney)
Love a WA boy. Another big inside/outside mid that could be seen as a replacement for Parker, need depth regardless

Pick 19 - Lachie Cowan (GWS)
Less Go home factor being a Tasmanian and not tsken out of place. They have the key forward, small forward and now a half back/mid

Pick 20 - Coby Burgiel (GWS)
Another VIC country kid and also a Gippy Power boy to go with Konstanty. Not out of place here. Im a big fan. This is the midfielder to add to the KPF, small fwd, half back. A good blend. Is a decent size, good overhead, quick, footy smart and can find enough ball.

TBC

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Pick 21 - Max Gruzewski (West Coast)
Best available tall. After missing Jefferson early in this draft. They must target a tall forward.

Pick 22 - Brayden George (Western Bulldogs)
Best Available, they probably dont have much similar in regards to medium forwards

Pick 23 - Henry Hustwaite (Ess)
Best Available. Essendon will look to develop as a big inside midfielder. They will be tempted by a player capable as a small forward here aswell like a D.Jones/C.Clarke

Nice effort.
By rumour we're pretty keen on Clarke so at pick 22 he'd be the one we want. Phillipou at 12 for the Bulldogs would be an amazing get if he slides that far and I can't see us passing him up, this might be the year teams live trade up or down in the fist round.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Nice effort.
By rumour we're pretty keen on Clarke so at pick 22 he'd be the one we want. Phillipou at 12 for the Bulldogs would be an amazing get if he slides that far and I can't see us passing him up, this might be the year teams live trade up or down in the fist round.
Yep definitly small/medium forward targets you would think

Tough one between Hewett and Phillipou. Just went with the more ready made. Hewetts ready to go round 1 whereas the 190cm mids tend to take years unless their future brownlow medalist type level

If they were to lose a Bont, Macrae, Libba, Baz or Treloar due to injury was thinking they might want someone capable of holding their own for a pinch of CBAs. Maybe theyre happy with West, McComb and Mclean to do this
I doubt Phillipou gets past Carlton.

Could see us looking at Jefferson if Clark is taken earlier. I’d say we’d try to trade down if that was the case
Yeh im trying not to take into account much trading. Its just impossible to pick. Got to have someone thats willing to trade F1 aswell id say. I dont think Jefferson gets past eagles at 12 if they get there man (Ginbey it seems) at 8

Great work :thumbsu:

Re: Carlton at 10 if Mattaes Phillipou is available I have no doubt we will grab him. We rate him highly. Others in consideration are Hollands or Hewitt unless someone early slips through

I agree we need talls but are looking at some in the State Leagues to fill these spocase.
Alot of love for Phillipou and im the same have him way up there around the 6-8 mark overall. His late bday will be enticing

It depends how they see him. If its as just a wing then he fills the need a bit better but surely Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy, Cripps for the next 5 years with Walsh taking up a CBA spot aswell isnt a great priority. I see Phillipou as an inside mid, he will just take time to develop. The 190cm guys usually do. I just find it difficult to place him on field for Carlton in the next 5 years

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Not a lot of love for Mackenzie.
Personally think he's a much better prospect than Ginbey (and Hewett and Holland for that matter).
Was certainly happy for us to take him at pick 2 (pre-trade).
Would be very disappointed if we leave him on the board at pick 9.
I actually would have both Ginbey and Mckenzie down on draft boards conpared to their normal 8-10 range were seeing

I prefer Hewett, Phillipou and Hollands

Everyones got their opinion and we will see hiw correct we are in 6-8 years

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Alot of love for Phillipou and im the same have him way up there around the 6-8 mark overall. His late bday will be enticing

It depends how they see him. If its as just a wing then he fills the need a bit better but surely Hewett, Cerra, Kennedy, Cripps for the next 5 years with Walsh taking up a CBA spot aswell isnt a great priority. I see Phillipou as an inside mid, he will just take time to develop. The 190cm guys usually do. I just find it difficult to place him on field for Carlton in the next 5 years

I think most clubs will go for "best player" over specific role when talking Top 12-15. Cripps Hewett will be in their 30's in 3 years and neither have good leg speed. Walsh & Cerra should be in their prime. A Phillipou should then be ready along with Carroll

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Pick 1 - Will Ashcroft (Brisbane)
Best Available

Pick 2 - Aaron Cadman (GWS)
Best Tall Available

Pick 3 - George Wardlaw (North)
Best Available. Seen as a JHF replacment

Pick 4 - Harry Sheezel (North)
I have the same 2nd thoughts as i did with Rachelle last year. Sheezel isnt as good, not as tough. Sheezel doesnt have that speed, size or brutality are my question mmarks. I think could challenge Zurhaar and come 2nd in Norths goalkicking next year.

Pick 5 - Bailey Humphrey (Essendon)
Probably not a need unless they think hes a genuine full time midfielder down the track which many will think he can be that. Similar size to Perkins and challenges his position year 1.

Pick 6 - Jhye Clark (Gold Coast)
Desperate for mids, his leadership will be hard to pass up.

Pick 7 - Elijiah Tsatas (Hawks)
Well he becomes the slider. Hawks will be very happy to take best available midfielder after losing Shiels, JOM, T.Mitchell

Pick 8 - Matt Jefferson (Geelong)
Maybe a smidge early. Need key forwards with Hawkins, Rohan and even Jezza getting to the later stages. Ratugolea and S.Neale will be heavily targeted and a likely chance to depart in 12 months

PIck 9 - Reuben Ginbey (West Coast)
Sounds like they traded down for him. Need midfielders

Pick 10 - Cam Mckenzie (Saints)
Id personally prefer Hewett, Phillipou, Hollands ect but he has that alignment and been under their nose more than most

Pick 11 - Jedd Busslinger (Carlton)
Going with the tall defender here. Lewis Hayes is young and had an ok year but he was basically discarded by the dogs. Hes limited, he doesnt have the ability of 1st drafted key defenders like Busslonger and the blues could play all 3 when Busslinger is ready in a few years time. Depth will be important regardless. Konstanty, L.Hayes Hollands options

Pick 12 - Elijiah Hewett (Western Bulldogs)
Jumping In ahead of the eagles here. I think they will want a ready to go midfielder in year 1. Losing Dunkley, Treloars ageing and questionable body at times. Some depth in this area will be important. Phillipou seems a very dogs player aswell, just he needs developing. Hollands an option aswell

Pick 13 - Olli Hollands (West Coast)
Between him and Phillipou. Think Keeler could come into considerstion as a tall. Maybe Ed Allen as the local product but have just grabbed a big mid in Ginbey. Hollnads will be a mr fix it and can be morphed into a player who can play anywhere

Pick 14 - Isaac Keeler (Melbourne)
Think they need a key forward more than a key back or mid. With Weideman, Jackson and M.Brown gone. B.Brown, Gawn, TMAC all closer to the end i think they would like to target a tall forward to tandem JVR.

Pick 15 - Mattaes Phillipou (Sydney)
Best Available and a steal. I dont think they will be quick enough to call this one if available. Think Ed Allen will be a big look here aswell

Pick 16 - J.Konstanty (GWS)
Another Vic Country kid to target with Cadman. They desperatly need a small forward. Greene, Konstanty, Bedford, B.Daniels fills this out nicely

Pick 17 - Lewis Hayes (Collingwood)
Best Available Tall. Need a tall defender to tandem with Moore. Howe and Murphy playing the year above their size. Roughead gone. Frampton a gap stop

Pick 18 - Ed Allen (Sydney)
Love a WA boy. Another big inside/outside mid that could be seen as a replacement for Parker, need depth regardless

Pick 19 - Lachie Cowan (GWS)
Less Go home factor being a Tasmanian and not tsken out of place. They have the key forward, small forward and now a half back/mid

Pick 20 - Coby Burgiel (GWS)
Another VIC country kid and also a Gippy Power boy to go with Konstanty. Not out of place here. Im a big fan. This is the midfielder to add to the KPF, small fwd, half back. A good blend. Is a decent size, good overhead, quick, footy smart and can find enough ball.

TBC

Nioce to see a different spin..

Id think if West Coast knew that the three WA boys were to be gone by their second pick they would be doing their best to trade down.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

Id think if West Coast knew that the three WA boys were to be gone by their second pick they would be doing their best to trade down.
Im not sure in their exact list situation with numbers ect but i dont think they will keep pushing back unless they get something really significant, just delays the process

Both West Coast and Fremantle are more than happy to just take victorian kids even more so now with covid seemingly over. Both back themselves in and have great track records

Or trade into next year's draft which has a lot of WA talent.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

They'll take whoever they have ranked highest.

Everyone seems to be assuming they've split the pick in the hope of getting two of Hewett, Busslinger and Ginbey, but that's too big of a gamble.
They wouldn't have done it unless they were certain (not just hopeful) a player they really liked would be available.

I don't think they particularly care if they're non WA either, have a good player retention history.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
They'll take whoever they have ranked highest.

Everyone seems to be assuming they've split the pick in the hope of getting two of Hewett, Busslinger and Ginbey, but that's too big of a gamble.
They wouldn't have done it unless they were certain (not just hopeful) a player they really liked would be available.

I don't think they particularly care if they're non WA either, have a good player retention history.
Yep its a smart trade because those local guys are around that mark so youd expect some of them to be available but id say theyre only taking them over NON LOCALs if its basically 50/50 and they cant split them

Also Obrien i think it was did imply with pick 8, that they had a group of 8 they really liked

I also feel the draft significantly drops off after 14 (Albeit id have Keeler in that group to make it 15). So 12 sits nicely within that

Cadman
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Tsatas

Hewett
Humphries
J.Clark
Phillipou

O.Hollands

Jefferson
C.Mckenzie
Ginbey
Keeler
Busslinger (14)

Is a pretty hand top group imo

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
If Phillipou is there and we don't take him we riot at dawn
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Jefferson to the Cats??
My left nut says not a hope in hell. lol
After the latest road to the draft it does seem unlikely. Although i still think if Clark is off the table then id hope they see a need to target talls in this draft

The team no one is talking about is what Gold Coast are doing with 5. Seems to be swept untlder the carpet, Twomey yet to mention them with anyone really.... maybe Humphrey was mentioned but not much else as to what their plans are at 5

Is it just whoevers left from Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, Humphrey

Tsatas seems like a guy to me who may not be that keen on going to somewhere like the gold coast

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If Phillipou is there and we don't take him we riot at dawn
Definitely the bigfooty favourite this year and sometimes thats rightly so

I also love him and think clubs will love mentioning that he isnt far off being in next years draft. A guy his size, who can get as much footy and also kick goals is just top end

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely the bigfooty favourite this year and sometimes thats rightly so

I also love him and think clubs will love mentioning that he isnt far off being in next years draft. A guy his size, who can get as much footy and also kick goals is just top end

We like finding the younger guys in the draft class. Bont, Naughton, Smith are all late November to early December birthdays.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We like finding the younger guys in the draft class. Bont, Naughton, Smith are all late November to early December birthdays.

Unfortunately for you guys, the Kings of late birthdates have the pick right in front of you. Carlton.

Recent draftees, and even recent trade-ins all with late birthdays:

December: Silvagni, McKay, Carroll, Marchbank, Hewett, Williamson, Young (all late Dec too except Marchbank)
November: Motlop, Weitering, Mirkov (all late Nov too)
October: Dow, Cerra, O'Brien, Honey

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unfortunately for you guys, the Kings of late birthdates have the pick right in front of you. Carlton.

Recent draftees, and even recent trade-ins all with late birthdays:

December: Silvagni, McKay, Carroll, Marchbank, Hewett, Williamson, Young (all late Dec too except Marchbank)
November: Motlop, Weitering, Mirkov (all late Nov too)
October: Dow, Cerra, O'Brien, Honey

And we have most of the same list needs too.

Back