The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

For 4 contact days a week 1 hour to Westpac Centre (conservative) each way or 15 mins each way. 8+ hours per week v 2 hours. Adds up over a 5 year contract.

That’s a lot of extra hours with friends and family. If we could all do it we would, but yes some of us aren’t as lucky.

I know my quality of life and enjoyment has improved this year since moving. Was half an hour from work, now mere minutes.
It's very much overstated though, when it's only an hour. If they live in town they can easily still see family and friends in Geelong, after training - it's not like they're working a 9-5.

I understand those that move interstate more but no one will ever convince me there should be a 'go home' factor while living an hour away from where they grew up.

It's very much overstated though, when it's only an hour. If they live in town they can easily still see family and friends in Geelong, after training - it's not like they're working a 9-5.

I understand those that move interstate more but no one will ever convince me there should be a 'go home' factor while living an hour away from where they grew up.
Yet former falcons who get drafted to Melbourne clubs and stay end up buying houses in Melbourne. Often in the vicinity of where their club is situated. So the less travel certainly isn’t overstated. People are just a bit butttthurt a player chose to change club instead of home.

We are all at different stages of life (hint hint). You’d turn down the same job at a company closer to mum? Hint hint.

Yet former falcons who get drafted to Melbourne clubs and stay end up buying houses in Melbourne. Often in the vicinity of where their club is situated. So the less travel certainly isn’t overstated. People are just a bit butttthurt a player chose to change club instead of home.

We are all at different stages of life (hint hint). You’d turn down the same job at a company closer to mum? Hint hint.
4 flags in 15 years, 12 PF’s and 10 1st or 2nd place finishes since 2007 and you still get this worked up.

Last edited:

Yes, have done it 3 times already in a 10 year career. They're about to move a further hour an a half away and you can bet I'm not following.

If he'd come out and said it was due to him wanting to play with his brother I'd have understood. Homesick is a joke though.

Yes, have done it 3 times already in a 10 year career. They're about to move a further hour an a half away and you can bet I'm not following.

If he'd come out and said it was due to him wanting to play with his brother I'd have understood. Homesick is a joke though.
But aren’t we all different?

moving home from interstate :whitecheck:
Moving for opportunities :whitecheck:

Setterfield, Saad, Stephenson, Grundy, Preuss, M. Brown, Bruce, Fasolo, Thomas etc have all moved between Melbourne clubs for varying reasons. :whitecheck:

Falcon goes home from Melbourne :crossmark:

4 flags in 15 years, 12 PF’s and 10 1st or 2nd place finishes since 2007 and you still get this worked up.
Odd take for most. Expected take for Babz

Don't most Melbourne to Melbourne trades happen because the club the player is leaving doesn't rate the player, or the player wants to leave for more opportunity/$$, and he then goes to the highest bidder? Bit different Gero.

Odd take for most. Expected take for Babz

So this isn’t you getting worked up? You don’t need to come into bat every time a Geelong person gets criticised. The time you defended Sam Newman was batshit crazy enough. 😂

So this isn’t you getting worked up? You don’t need to come into bat every time a Geelong person gets criticised. The time you defended Sam Newman was batshit crazy enough. 😂
I didn’t take issue when the Bowes deal was critiqued to the nth degree. The deal was farcical but 18/18 teams do the deal if was them.

Just sick of the contradictory complaints we cop, and the tall poppy syndrome.

First we copped heat for failing in finals and the rhetoric was that we shouldn’t complain about MCG finals as we need to play well there to win be grateful you’re getting games. But then we get good at The G and the narrative shifts to a grossly unfair advantage that we play there during the season (like everyone else does).

First we cop scorn and laughter for bringing in lots of older players. This thread has a lot of said jokes as well. Now we go after 2 x 20yo and and 24yo and the player cops heat because he’s from here. Make your minds up.

Covid has brought into focus the importance of family and friends, and that careers are short. Work and life balance matters.

Just sick of the contradictory complaints we cop, and the tall poppy syndrome.

First we copped heat for failing in finals and the rhetoric was that we shouldn’t complain about MCG finals as we need to play well there to win be grateful you’re getting games. But then we get good at The G and the narrative shifts to a grossly unfair advantage that we play there during the season (like everyone else does).

First we cop scorn and laughter for bringing in lots of older players. This thread has a lot of said jokes as well. Now we go after 2 x 20yo and and 24yo and the player cops heat because he’s from here. Make your minds up.

Covid has brought into focus the importance of family and friends, and that careers are short. Work and life balance matters.

I think all of that falls into the, “Geelong are very successful/here are some stats over the last 15 years” bracket that I posted. So basically why should you care about a bit of criticism? Any AFL supporter would love to support a successful club like Geelong. I have criticised the trade taking Henry from Collingwood to Geelong but it’s over and when preseason officially starts, it will be in the past.

And you’re right, that Covid has brought into focus the importance of being closer to family and friends. You sometimes lose sight of that when it’s someone else’s life you’re talking about, in this case a professional athlete.

Don't most Melbourne to Melbourne trades happen because the club the player is leaving doesn't rate the player, or the player wants to leave for more opportunity/$$, and he then goes to the highest bidder? Bit different Gero.
Na mate, Saad opted for Carlton over Essendon because the commute from Fitzroy to Essendon was just a bit too far...

Honestly, it's pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Na mate, Saad opted for Carlton over Essendon because the commute from Fitzroy to Essendon was just a bit too far...

Honestly, it's pathetic.

I don’t know what’s more stalkerish. That you know Adam Saad lives in Fitzroy or that I know Ang Christou is his next door neighbour.

Last edited:
In Geelong you’re also obviously much closer to the great coast there some great beaches that are far easier to access living up that way. You could surf etc in morning every day, big difference to living in Melb. Lifestyle choice. Looking at making the move myself in the next few years

In Geelong you’re also obviously much closer to the great coast there some great beaches that are far easier to access living up that way. You could surf etc in morning every day, big difference to living in Melb. Lifestyle choice. Looking at making the move myself in the next few years
That's great. If it's that vital that they needed that every morning, don't elect to play in a national competition.

Interstate is one thing. It sucks but I get that. 1 hr down the road? Absolutely pathetic.

Don’t do it. The locals don’t like outsiders and they will eat you alive.

Last edited:
That's great. If it's that vital that they needed that every morning, don't elect to play in a national competition.

Interstate is one thing. It sucks but I get that. 1 hr down the road? Absolutely pathetic.
Don’t elect to play?? There’s a team in Geelong and the player knows the AFL transfer rules are s**t and he has a shot.

I wish there was a player culture in AFL like there is in Baseball. Players literally sign 8-14 year contracts , even though that team is currently s**t and rebuilding, which they know will take years to become a good team. The best player in Baseball, Mike Trout, signed a 12 year extension with the LA Angels who hadn’t made a single postseason in years and haven’t in the 3 years since he signed that contract. The culture is just different in Baseball, players sign contracts for the length of an entire career and on the other side of America to their families. One club players in AFL are getting rarer and rarer to the point that even very good players are changing clubs every 3 years.

I wish there was a player culture in AFL like there is in Baseball. Players literally sign 8-14 year contracts , even though that team is currently s**t and rebuilding, which they know will take years to become a good team. The best player in Baseball, Mike Trout, signed a 12 year extension with the LA Angels who hadn’t made a single postseason in years and haven’t in the 3 years since he signed that contract. The culture is just different in Baseball, players sign contracts for the length of an entire career and on the other side of America to their families. One club players in AFL are getting rarer and rarer to the point that even very good players are changing clubs every 3 years.
Players don’t get offered nine figure multi generational guaranteed amounts in AFL.

Players don’t get offered nine figure multi generational guaranteed amounts in AFL.

It’s more about the culture of players playing for one club in America compared to here. Sports stars in America get huge contracts but they could get the same contract at a bunch of different clubs without signing an 8+ year contract. But they still do it, because the culture is different in America. Much more loyalty.

It’s more about the culture of players playing for one club in America compared to here. Sports stars in America get huge contracts but they could get the same contract at a bunch of different clubs without signing an 8+ year contract. But they still do it, because the culture is different in America. Much more loyalty.
Out of the 10 biggest current contracts most signed with other teams. Trout and Tatis only exceptions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back