News 2022 Media Draft Rankings & Phantom Drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is based on the phantom draft above he's gone. Those of us on the WC board expect he'd be taken at our (natural) pick 8 if he's not been snapped up by the Gold Coast. This is generally looked at with strong apathy - an underwhelming probable half back flanker when the consensus is we need quality midfielders.

I personally hope we go Mattaes Phillipou at 8, or Jedd Busslinger - my view is as a club we're going to be mediocre for the next 5 years. We have talls now, but 100% Jeremy McGovern will have retired by 2027.

2027? Gov will have retired by 2024 the way his body is going. Will be 31 early next year and isn't the fittest guy going around - so any injuries will take their toll a lot on someone like him.

2027? Gov will have retired by 2024 the way his body is going. Will be 31 early next year and isn't the fittest guy going around - so any injuries will take their toll a lot on someone like him.
I agree, my point was though even looking at by the time we (WC) are challenging again we'll need talls.
The whole "we need mids not talls we have enough" argument is so short sighted. It's not as if we're taking him at Pick 2. The club traded down so we get the double hit. Busslinger / Hewett or whoever is a solid return.

I personally would be inclined to send McGovern to CHF. He's got the required attributes. Barrass can lead a backline of him, Hough, Hedwards and possibly Busslinger.

The point is based on the phantom draft above he's gone. Those of us on the WC board expect he'd be taken at our (natural) pick 8 if he's not been snapped up by the Gold Coast. This is generally looked at with strong apathy - an underwhelming probable half back flanker when the consensus is we need quality midfielders.

I personally hope we go Mattaes Phillipou at 8, or Jedd Busslinger - my view is as a club we're going to be mediocre for the next 5 years. We have talls now, but 100% Jeremy McGovern will have retired by 2027.

My top 6 are:
Ashcroft
Tsatas
Ginbey
Wardlaw
Cardman
Sheezel
In that order.
I have no idea why you traded out pick 2…. But Busslinger at pick 8 would be my pick. He is a good QB/style third tall, who could become a CHB in time.

Clark would be the next choice but I wouldn’t take him as WC. Mackenzie or Jefferson would be decent options.

My top 6 are:
Ashcroft
Tsatas
Ginbey
Wardlaw
Cardman
Sheezel
In that order.
I have no idea why you traded out pick 2…. But Busslinger at pick 8 would be my pick. He is a good QB/style third tall, who could become a CHB in time.

Clark would be the next choice but I wouldn’t take him as WC. Mackenzie or Jefferson would be decent options.
Why? The rumours getting louder and louder were that Wardlaw was a massive flight risk. The JHF saga has proven the system is broken. Better to cash in on two qualities than one risk.

I would also add the WCE list is a long way off and it does need quantity. Our future top end talent currently consists of one O. Allen as our genuine star not in the 5 year retirement pipeline. Tom Barrass maybe the only other A grader on that list if we're being generous.

I agree, my point was though even looking at by the time we (WC) are challenging again we'll need talls.
The whole "we need mids not talls we have enough" argument is so short sighted. It's not as if we're taking him at Pick 2. The club traded down so we get the double hit. Busslinger / Hewett or whoever is a solid return.

I personally would be inclined to send McGovern to CHF. He's got the required attributes. Barrass can lead a backline of him, Hough, Hedwards and possibly Busslinger.
The whole we need to draft and develop talls for our next premiership push is way too longsighted.
The eagles have talls, young talls too and have traditionally been pretty rubbish at drafting and developing mids.
As weve seen recently, it doesnt matter how good your talls are if theres no mids getting the ball
We need to draft predominantly mids and probably small forwards this year with maybe a ruck as well.
We dont know where hough or chesser will end up yet. If its flanks we definitely need to forget about KPDS this year

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The whole we need to draft and develop talls for our next premiership push is way too longsighted.
The eagles have talls, young talls too and have traditionally been pretty rubbish at drafting and developing mids.
As weve seen recently, it doesnt matter how good your talls are if theres no mids getting the ball
We need to draft predominantly mids and probably small forwards this year with maybe a ruck as well.
We dont know where hough or chesser will end up yet. If its flanks we definitely need to forget about KPDS this year

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is it? Look at the Bulldogs. For 10 years they were a small, mobile side who were quick but lacked any quality talls. It was the point of difference and why we'd usually win. We had an inferior midfield or maybe at best even midfield, but better talls. Talls take time.

You're not going to change my mind.

Which mid is there at 8 that we really want? Clearly Phillipou rightly or wrongly is perhaps not what they want. Ed Allen at 13 seems early but I'm no expert.
Would be pretty filthy if we left Mackenzie on the board at pick 9.
Kids going to be a jet and one of the best midfield options in the draft this year IMO.

Geez Id be unhappy with that spread as an Eagles fan.

Busslinger, Allen, Jones.

The only midfielder is Jones at 175cm. I rate him but they wont pick two talls with both 1sts.
It’s the Herald Sun, they just give non vic teams whoever they like so they can the players they want to the vic teams to get their readers excited.
Allan is a outside midfielder but you’d more likely pick him at 26 than 13.

It’s the Herald Sun, they just give non vic teams whoever they like so they can the players they want to the vic teams to get their readers excited.
They gave us Tsatas and Weddle which is a terrible hand for us.

Geez Id be unhappy with that spread as an Eagles fan.

Busslinger, Allen, Jones.

The only midfielder is Jones at 175cm. I rate him but they wont pick two talls with both 1sts.
lol. Ed Allan a tall? Yeah I guess he is... a tall midfielder that is.
Which makes it 2 mids and a key back i'd say.
You blokes would be stoked with that haul.
As i rate Jones as the most under rated player in the draft. He's a ripper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsatas sliding to the Saints?

I would be stunned if we passed on him.

Newcombe is our only 'burst' midfielder and is also capable of playing an inside role. Tsatas can do both and accumulate possessions at the elite end of the stat sheet. Newcombe desperately needs a partner. Ward and Macdonald will be great but they aren't those sorts of midfielders either.

Yeah, but selecting him at pick 20/26 is vastly different than selecting him at pick 12.
Yep, said that yesterday

Yeah, but selecting him at pick 20/26 is vastly different than selecting him at pick 12.
LOL. Whats the difference if you attain the player/or players u want from the get go?? None.
Too obsessed with at what selection u get a player at?? lol hilarious when really think about it.
If you like players A, B, C and D and u get those exact players does it matter in which order... Of course it doesn't.

LOL. Whats the difference if you attain the player/or players u want from the get go?? None.
Too obsessed with at what selection u get a player at?? lol hilarious when really think about it.
If you like players A, B, C and D and u get those exact players does it matter in which order... Of course it doesn't.
Absolutely agree if you get the desired haul of players, who cares.

I think the issue that some eagles fans (myself included) surrounds the potential opportunity cost of leaving one of Ginbey, Mackenzie, Phillipou etc on the table and going extremely early on a more speculative player like Allan.

That doesn't make any sense.
Players like Mackenzie, Phillipou and Hollands are likely to be available at picks 8 and/or 12 but they have almost no chance of being available at picks 20 and/or 26.
If we select Busslinger and Allen with our first two picks we are severely downgrading our midfield selections this draft and are unlikely to get players of a similar quality as Mackenzie, Phillipou and Hollands with picks 20 and 26.

That doesn't make any sense.
Players like Mackenzie, Phillipou and Hollands are likely to be available at picks 8 and/or 12 but they have almost no chance of being available at picks 20 and/or 26.
If we select Busslinger and Allen with our first two picks we are severely downgrading our midfield selections this draft and are unlikely to get players of a similar quality as Mackenzie, Phillipou and Hollands with picks 20 and 26.
Maybe Bigfooty nuffs have it wrong.......it's possible Allan is higher than Phillipou, Hollands and Mackenzie on a lot of team's boards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back