RLWC '22 Rugby League World Cup 2022

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Alright, we've gotten through the pointless stage of the tournament, watching the contenders blow out a few of the other teams that are poles apart.

The groups will end basically as predicted with all of the 5 chances making the quarters (Aus, NZ, England, Samoa, Tonga).

Now hopefully we will see some gripping games and better quality contests.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
I want to see the whole tournament before making to many judgements. But it's not looking a close as many predicted.

Also how many of these nations actually have developing leagues? Most teams are made up of NRL, QLD or NSW Cup and SL players, just playing for their heritage if they don't make the Australia, NZ or England teams.

Maybe the World Cup would be better placed every 6 years? With more 1v1 tours or 4 nations style games, Pacific Cup etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I want to see the whole tournament before making to many judgements. But it's not looking a close as many predicted.

Also how many of these nations actually have developing leagues? Most teams are made up of NRL, QLD or NSW Cup and SL players, just playing for their heritage if they don't make the Australia, NZ or England teams.

Maybe the World Cup would be better placed every 6 years? With more 1v1 tours or 4 nations style games, Pacific Cup etc.
More international tests to help grow the game, perhaps a Bledesloe style competition between some of the stronger nations, or like a multi way Rugby championship series.

Union is more successful internationally partly because they play more of it, and so people have a closer affinity to their national teams, getting to see them more often.

Some sort of rotating Tri series cup between Aus, England, NZ for example, and some more test series.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
While Origin and the two domestic comps are the priority nothing will change.
Origin will always be the peak of Australian Rugby League, but that doesn't mean that globally Rugby League can't grow.

They need to take advantage of some sides other than Australia and NZ getting stronger, and start to increase international tests on the calendar.

They can do more than a World Cup every 4 years as meaningful international competition.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Positive thought tonight's France Samoa game should be good and plenty of passion for Tonga & Cook Islands.
The WA Govt will likely bid for a NRL Club if available for WA. Announced in the Perth media this morning - One of the reasons will be to get the occupancy of Optus Stadium up a bit. Have to say the current WA Premier is from Sydney and originally came to WA with the Navy to the Garden Island Naval Base south of Perth.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The WA Govt will likely bid for a NRL Club if available for WA. Announced in the Perth media this morning - One of the reasons will be to get the occupancy of Optus Stadium up a bit. Have to say the current WA Premier is from Sydney and originally came to WA with the Navy to the Garden Island Naval Base south of Perth.
Interesting. It's a big jump for a comp that is entirely eastern seaboard (+NZ) to have a solo team in the West. I wonder how they would go with player attraction and retention. Adelaide for mine might be an easier transition, test a South Australian team, learn from it, then introduce a Perth team maybe 5-10 years later.

I will say one thing about WA sports fans though, they will absolutely get behind their teams so hopefully support will be no issue, it's just the other logistics.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Should be a cracking game, the ceremonial war dances are always a highlight.
I wonder if the Lebanese will do sick burnouts in the carpark before their Quarter final

I will be working but having a sneak peek on my phone.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Is it possible to win a quarter final 48-4 and still look like trash?

Think the Aussies did it this morning
I think trash is too far, just very meh. But that’s what happens when you are constantly changing line ups, playing players out of position

Back