Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1544308

Another one Tsatas just today dictating where he wants to play. It's getting ridiculous now. The media statement asking to stay home. At this point might aswell seperate VFL clubs. They can go back to VFL only.

AFL National league doesn't work anymore. Game has gone to s**t. Dead in the water.
West Coast were forced to trade out pick 2 because the Melbourne mummy boys.

If the AFL want a national competition they need to bring in NBA rookie contracts, maxi contracts, and teams having the ability to trade out players without their consent.

I don't think any clubs should ever be gun shy from trying to draft the best available talent (no matter which state they are from) and back their culture in to keep them happy.

Case in point Freo and Serong, one of their best young players (possibly future captain) who is a Victorian and seems (well I hope) to be at Freo for the long haul.

The Giants approach, which Jason McCartney has publicly gone on record, is probably the most sensible course of action for non Vic clubs

Aside from extending the initial contracts of draftees (least first rounders) from 2 to 3 years, I honestly don't see much more than the AFL can do to rectify this problem of the OP.
The Victorian county kids seem to be loyal, it’s the inner Melbourne mummy boys that are the issue.

Serong and Young had a bromance which has worked out well.

View attachment 1544308

Another one Tsatas just today dictating where he wants to play. It's getting ridiculous now. The media statement asking to stay home. At this point might aswell seperate VFL clubs. They can go back to VFL only.

AFL National league doesn't work anymore. Game has gone to s**t. Dead in the water.

Can you actually read?

"I'm happy to play my footy wherever i get picked"

Dude, you're just embarrassing yourself

Which won't happen.
100%.

AFL is putting in $40m into GWS and Gold Coast only to see there players getting poached before they mature.

Might be time to get of the Gold Coast Suns and replace them with Tasmania.

Unless the AFL doesn't something about Draft tampering and retention issues for Gold Coast, then the Suns are a lost cause.

Yeah ok no worries. So what I'm getting is Eagles/Freo tell all WA draftees to say this. I do not want to play interstate. I love WA and hope to god I stay in WA. I will cry and my family will be hugely dissapointed if I dont get drafted to a WA club. In fact I would really really hate to be drafted to a Vic Club. They make me sick and will look at first opportunity to leave and return home as soon as possible if they draft me.

But again whoops almost forgot if one Vic club drafts me I will give it a good crack.🙄
There are only two clubs in WA, risk of not getting drafted at all if they say that, as opposed to 11 in Victoria.

Draft tampering has been legal since a team buried a top 5 pick with the "injuries" rumour in 2010 so they could get him in the mid 20's. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft age needs to be lifted, young men need to spend a year in the real world before becoming AFL footballer. Clubs also need to have the option to sign draftees up on longer contracts if they chose to.
It would be waste to not have the likes of Nick Daicos in the AFL this year. Not sure what they'd learn by doing a weird year between school and AFL - it'd probably just be another year of full-time sport at some elite team anyway.

It's not draft tampering if a player says he doesn't want to move interstate.
If there's a clear intent to dissuade certain teams from drafting you, then it really is. But it will always remain impossible to prove, players will learn how to word it precisely so they are 'prepared to move interstate but would prefer to stay home'.

Draft age needs to be lifted, young men need to spend a year in the real world before becoming AFL footballer. Clubs also need to have the option to sign draftees up on longer contracts if they chose to.
Don't think this would help, the players would still be at home and I doubt they will be any less reluctant to leave family and friends at 19 than 18.

There might be different outcomes if clubs have the ability to draft a player and immediately trade them, or draft them signed to a longer deal with a signing bonus.

Then a club can take the clear number one pick, he doesn't want to sign the long term deal and he can be effectively auctioned in trade for players and picks from other clubs.

Let's consider last year. Adelaide really wanted JHF. If JHF is the best player in the draft and he can comfortably say he wants to stay in Adelaide and the AFL opens the door for three years of picks being traded then North can comfortably pick him at #1, then immediately trade him to Adelaide or Port Adelaide for whoever offers the best deal.

A looooot of rule changes needed for that one.

If there's a clear intent to dissuade certain teams from drafting you, then it really is. But it will always remain impossible to prove, players will learn how to word it precisely so they are 'prepared to move interstate but would prefer to stay home'.

Don't think this would help, the players would still be at home and I doubt they will be any less reluctant to leave family and friends at 19 than 18.
Players can't draft tamper.

Players argue their preferences, and threaten to leave. That is not tampering.

I'll repeat what I said:
Players can and have, they've also been punished for it - but they still got to Sydney like they wanted

And add that players campaigning to influence interstate clubs to not select them is tampering with the outcome of the draft.

I'll repeat what I said:

And add that players campaigning to influence interstate clubs to not select them is tampering with the outcome of the draft.
They don't campaign. They simply state they want to stay.
I don't agree with it. The AFL can stop this stuff, but the players have all the say now.

Sabotaging interviews is a campaign. Family members sabotaging interviews is a coordinated campaign.
Call it what you like. It doesn't matter. Mental health rules now. Every draft is comprised. Almost every AFL system is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back