Recommitted Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti [Comes out of retirement, re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I wish him well but his hype always exceeded his output IMO.
What year would you have him as best small in the comp?

Not sure any reasonable person would have ever had him as the best small forward in the comp at any stage.

Although he was probably on track for AA at the midway point of 2021 before his career went off the rails.

He’s just a freak though. The amount of touch he shows ball in hand is outrageous.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
First half of 2021 he was the best small fwd in the league imo. Averaged 2.5 goals a game pre bye and his pressure and field kicking was awesome. He dropped away a lot in the 2nd half of that season which as far as I'm aware had to do with the reasons he wasn't playing in 2022 so hard to say. At his best he was elite in a relatively poor team/fwd line.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
First half of 2021 he was the best small fwd in the league imo. Averaged 2.5 goals a game pre bye and his pressure and field kicking was awesome. He dropped away a lot in the 2nd half of that season which as far as I'm aware had to do with the reasons he wasn't playing in 2022 so hard to say. At his best he was elite in a relatively poor team/fwd line.
So when you said that he was the best in the league 'when he was up and about', you meant a patch of 10 games out of his 120+?

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I don't think he's ever been the best small in the comp for a season. However, he's:
  • Nearly always been in the top 40 goalscorers in the league (including talls & mids)
  • Usually high for score involvements and score assists
  • High for F50 tackles
When you take that package, its clear he's been among the better forwards in the league for many seasons. A fit Walla would (IMO) be selected amongst the first 18 small forwards in the league if every club was choosing one (ignoring age etc. just performance). He would definitely have been able to fit into any side's best 22 before his troubles.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think he's ever been the best small in the comp for a season. However, he's:
  • Nearly always been in the top 40 goalscorers in the league (including talls & mids)
  • Usually high for score involvements and score assists
  • High for F50 tackles
When you take that package, its clear he's been among the better forwards in the league for many seasons. A fit Walla would (IMO) be selected amongst the first 18 small forwards in the league if every club was choosing one (ignoring age etc. just performance). He would definitely have been able to fit into any side's best 22 before his troubles.
I don’t doubt he was very good and would push best 22 in any side in the past. But watching him in the VFL this year and he looked anything but an AFL player.

I’m hoping he gets himself in top shape, as while I detest the bombers, he was great to watch.

AMT is the icing. Freo have the cake, we need that match winner forward of centre.

Also the marketing, will create interest from non-Freo supporters.

I'd love to see AMT playing for any team.

But you're a bit short on eggs, flour and sugar for that cake rofl.

I'd ask for Freo supporters not to rise to the bait here and just have confidence in the side that won a final this season to continue to improve.

I'd ask for Freo supporters not to rise to the bait here and just have confidence in the side that won a final this season to continue to improve.

what bait?

im simply saying that freo need more than AMT to be a complete team.

you disagree with this?

If it makes you feel better Essendon are still writing a shoping list!

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Tippa has never been the best small in the comp. he’s been a very good one tho. Is he the icing for Freo?? Depends solely on bus fitness. If it’s like bud fitness in the vfl this year. No he isn’t not the icing

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He'd be a coming from a long way back.
But motivation drives a man.

I don't know if we need him now though. I'd like to get games into the Davey twins and Wanganeen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team

Consistently scores and he's regularly been the highest rated pressure forward.

Also, a small forward like him would be scoring a lot more in a successful team that created a lot of crumbs. Could you imagine him at the feet of the Melbourne stalls over the last two years?

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Consistently scores and he's regularly been the highest rated pressure forward.

Also, a small forward like him would be scoring a lot more in a successful team that created a lot of crumbs. Could you imagine him at the feet of the Melbourne stalls over the last two years?

Yep, some players cause so much chaos and pressure, perceived or not that things just happen when they are around. It was why Cyril was so revered, even if his stats did not always show how effective he was. Low possession, high impact players are fantastic and you don't know how good they are till they are missing from the side and you start losing a lot more games.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Nah

We have a cake, it might not be the best cake ever made but it's just popped out of the oven and is still rising. Desperately needs some finishing touches on top though.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Nah

We have a cake, it might not be the best cake ever made but it's just popped out of the oven and is still rising. Desperately needs some finishing touches on top though.
We really need a thread on which cake each club is

Essendon can be the abomination that was my lemon cake that I forgot the eggs in. Then added them too late to the batter. Results were unpleasant

We really need a thread on which cake each club is

Essendon can be the abomination that was my lemon cake that I forgot the eggs in. Then added them too late to the batter. Results were unpleasant
One of the kids thought he could replace a kg of chocolate, with a kg of cocoa powder.. the resultant slop could have resembled north, or the eagles entire 3x club 2022 season.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Picking Brad Scott over the Dockers coach is a bit odd

See if he comes back on the Nic Nat diet or not

Back