Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

Call it what you like. It doesn't matter. Mental health rules now. Every draft is comprised. Almost every AFL system is.

Okay, we have gotten to recognition that there is an issue.

An interstate signing bonus might go some way to resolving this. A player picked by a side out of their home state:
Top 5 = $500,000 bonus
Top 6 to 10 = $350,000 bonus
11 to 20 = $200,000 bonus

With an option to extend the base contract to three or four years straight up for a bonus +$100,000 per year paid up front.

Watch the high profile Victorian players line up to get picked at #3 - Adelaide instead of #1 North or #2 Essendon/Hawthorn

It’s a problem when a Victorian player prefers to remain in Victoria but it’s ok when Tim Kelly, Luke Jackson and Jordan Clark among others return to WA at the earliest opportunity they can get.

Got it.

It’s a problem when a Victorian player prefers to remain in Victoria but it’s ok when Tim Kelly, Luke Jackson and Jordan Clark among others return to WA at the earliest opportunity they can get.

Got it.

Yes, but let's also ignore that WA players are equally likely to extend their careers at a non-WA club as they are a WA club. Victorians moving from non Victorian club to other non Victorian club is very rare. Lewis Taylor is one.

There were three WA players who moved to play in Victoria just from Freo this off season.

Got it.
You may have noted that when Tim Kelly nominated one team, there was outrage, but when Taranto or Henry or Hill nominate one team, the silence is deafening.

Got it.
Geelong's one of the biggest beneficiary of players wanting to return 'home'.

All those guys fulfilled their contracts and, as far as I am aware, didn't make sweeping statements about wanting to stay in WA/refusing to go interstate, a la a lot of Vic Metro boys lately.

Personally, I don't have an issue if a player wants to return home after their initial contract, regardless of where they are from.

I do however have an issue with the hypocritical media who were up in arms over Kelly requesting a trade to West Coast, saying it should be 'home state' yet, in the same breath' having zero issue when players from interstate sides nominate Victorian clubs when they get 'homesick' and the same media commentators just completely ignore the absolute hypocrisy of their previous statements.

I'm also not a fan of clubs pursuing players under their first year of contract but again, the Vic media gets in an uproar when Port does it, yet laughs it off when a club like St Kilda posts on Twitter an image of Ben & Max side by side, stating they'll be doing what they can to bring him to the club, on the day he was drafted.

Yes, you could say the same about TK but that was definitely a different set of circumstances, considering he had already been training at WCE and was assured he would be picked by the club, before OAllen was somehow still available and Geelong took TK before our next pick. They were handsomely rewarded for the trouble also.

Okay, we have gotten to recognition that there is an issue.

An interstate signing bonus might go some way to resolving this. A player picked by a side out of their home state:
Top 5 = $500,000 bonus
Top 6 to 10 = $350,000 bonus
11 to 20 = $200,000 bonus

With an option to extend the base contract to three or four years straight up for a bonus +$100,000 per year paid up front.

Watch the high profile Victorian players line up to get picked at #3 - Adelaide instead of #1 North or #2 Essendon/Hawthorn

This is better, a more realistic option that does not discriminate by state.

I think extending base contracts for one class of player (draft picks X to Y) is problematic though.

Yes, you could say the same about TK but that was definitely a different set of circumstances, considering he had already been training at WCE and was assured he would be picked by the club, before OAllen was somehow still available and Geelong took TK before our next pick. They were handsomely rewarded for the trouble also.

In between your usual #VICBIAS whinge this is interesting. So WC assured Kelly they would pick him up, then didn't. No wonder he rolled WC for the cash and took early retirement.

Thats a big call but they do manage to offload players and get top 5 players most year. If any other team could do that then it would be an instant premiership.

Why do they continue to fail
Because since the dawn of time a champion team will always beat a team of champions.

Langdon say hi mummy too.

Is he? I don't think so, Jackson isn't either, but I wasn't the one having a sook about it. But the hypocrisy by some here is bloody funny. I'm disappointed to lose Jackson but it's his life, who gives anyone else the right to tell these guys how they should live their lives? That's just complete and utter arrogance.

My position is that I don't think it's fair that if you're an elite player that the kids don't get to choose where they play just because of their postcode and where they live. Why should a kid from one of the northern states get a free ride and enjoy the luxury of playing in their home state but not anyone from WA, SA or Vic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So? The person i was responding to just stated moved from Freo

I also wasn't referring to Meek. I was directly referring to the three WA players who went to Victoria. Lobb, Logue and Acres. All WA lads. Didn't mention a thing about Tucker or Meek leaving and going home.

I also wasn't referring to Meek. I was directly referring to the three WA players who went to Victoria. Lobb, Logue and Acres. All WA lads. Didn't mention a thing about Tucker or Meek leaving and going home.

Don't forget about some of those players being pushed out due to trying to free up salary to get Jackson, who is returning to his home state. I also seem to remember freo fans were desperate to trade Lobb

Is he? I don't think so, Jackson isn't either, but I wasn't the one having a sook about it. But the hypocrisy by some here is bloody funny. I'm disappointed to lose Jackson but it's his life, who gives anyone else the right to tell these guys how they should live their lives? That's just complete and utter arrogance.

My position is that I don't think it's fair that if you're an elite player that the kids don't get to choose where they play just because of their postcode and where they live. Why should a kid from one of the northern states get a free ride and enjoy the luxury of playing in their home state but not anyone from WA, SA or Vic?

What they want is a) a way to make sure they can keep Victorian kids and b) the ability to keep kids from their own state as well. In other words some way of disadvantaging Victorian clubs to the benefit of interstate clubs.

Don't forget about some of those players being pushed out due to trying to free up salary to get Jackson, who is returning to his home state. I also seem to remember freo fans were desperate to trade Lobb

I think you'll find Lobb was the desperate one, he has a four year contract at the Dogs and will be 30 before he ever plays for them, good business for him. Freo didn't want to trade him.

But let's not try to change the subject and move the goal posts because your point fell apart.

Yes, Freo has picked up some returning WA players - we've also lost a lot to other clubs. That's because WA players are far more likely to play at any club anywhere than Victorian players are, who almost to a rule only go back to VIC to extend their careers. WA players are equally likely to extend their non-WA career at another non-WA club as they are to extend it by coming home.

It’s very clear that potential draftees are directly or indirectly. Sure it’s not always Vic Metro kids but most of the time it is.

Their is no issues with Vic Country kids, it’s the Melbourne mummy boys.

Just make rookie contracts 3 years and excluded from being traded.
I don’t think it even matters all that much.

JHF requested a trade under contract after one year, Boyd did likewise.

Clubs can only do their due diligence, and from there it’s up to them to make the environment as good as possible so draftees will want to stay long term.

Draftees and players in the first few years of their careers don’t get paid enough to stay in cities they have little interested in remaining in.

It’s very clear that potential draftees are directly or indirectly. Sure it’s not always Vic Metro kids but most of the time it is.

Their is no issues with Vic Country kids, it’s the Melbourne mummy boys.

Do you think Jackson is a mummy boy?

Genuine question, because i don't think he is. The AFL have over time created this environment to make it easier for players to move clubs, so don't blame the individuals. And let's not pretend that the clubs themselves are the innocent victim, if they think a player won't make it, will dump a player immediately, regardless of their age or which state they came from.

But it doesn't really matter what we think, because this will happen more and more, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Do you think Jackson is a mummy boy?

Genuine question, because i don't think he is. The AFL have over time created this environment to make it easier for players to move clubs, so don't blame the individuals. And let's not pretend that the clubs themselves are the innocent victim, if they think a player won't make it, will dump a player immediately, regardless of their age or which state they came from.

But it doesn't really matter what we think, because this will happen more and more, and there's nothing we can do about it.
Some what.

Jackson was at a good club which is contenting and offering him decent money,

He was never going to another city except Perth where family and friends are.

Professionally it would have been better to stay at the Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back