Will Carlton be the 'bolter' in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, they were actually a bolter this season (8-2) after 10 rounds, they just happened to hit a brick wall and finished (1-5) in the last 6 rounds.

Probably will happen again.

Jeez there's a bit of pressure on them. Their fans will be expecting finals and judging by their predictions I think many will expect top four.

If they miss the finals then Voss will be under enormous pressure.

imagine :'(:'( , just imagine they dont make finals,right now its beyond the realms of belief that they ARE not going to make finals,i bet u ask any blues supporter if they make finals next year and the overwhelming opinion and answer would be a categorical YES,but just imagine they dont,holy mackeroly

imagine :'(:'( , just imagine they dont make finals,right now its beyond the realms of belief that they ARE not going to make finals,i bet u ask any blues supporter if they make finals next year and the overwhelming opinion and answer would be a categorical YES,but just imagine they dont,holy mackeroly
Holy Mackerel IMAGINE THAT

This is exactly why the smart money is going on Carlton to miss the finals.

Load up.

Last edited:
Still not sure which category you sit in, as most of your bets have been massive failures
Would suggest you PM Fadge and suggest to him that you both open Betfair accounts and invite him to offer odds on his boast . Alternatively offer him juicy odds to bet on Carlton missing the 8 and then reel in your fish. There's no way, short of a catastrophic injury list that your lot don't make finals in 2023. Alas!
I'm tipping silence will be the reply by the way.

Would suggest you PM Fadge and suggest to him that you both open Betfair accounts and invite him to offer odds on his boast . Alternatively offer him juicy odds to bet on Carlton missing the 8 and then reel in your fish. There's no way, short of a catastrophic injury list that your lot don't make finals in 2023. Alas!

He just feigns disgust when challenged, rinse, repeat

Yeah, you really need to look beyond Carlton's top 5 players to make an astute assessment as to their 2023 prospects.

They finished 9th this season with a Brownlow Medallist, Coleman Medallist and 90% of games from their top 9 players (same percentage as top 4 teams with the exception of Collingwood, who had 83%).

Port will be straight back into flag contention courtesy of their off-season recruiting, Saints would be expecting to make finals as would Gold Coast (and both teams beat Carlton in 2022). That's before we talk about any risers such as Adelaide who are currently getting a lot of love on this forum.

Then we have last season's top 8, who have all improved their lists moreso than Carlton based on their trade activity.

I rate Carlton about a $2.40 chance to make the top 8 next year, so if the betting agencies are giving me those odds to miss the top 8, of course I'm going to pounce.

Candy, baby.

Yeah, you really need to look beyond Carlton's top 5 players to make an astute assessment as to their 2023 prospects.

They finished 9th this season with a Brownlow Medallist, Coleman Medallist and 90% of games from their top 9 players (same percentage as top 4 teams with the exception of Collingwood, who had 83%).

Port will be straight back into flag contention courtesy of their off-season recruiting, Saints would be expecting to make finals as would Gold Coast (and both teams beat Carlton in 2022). That's before we talk about any risers such as Adelaide who are currently getting a lot of love on this forum.

Then we have last season's top 8, who have all improved their lists moreso than Carlton based on their trade activity.

I rate Carlton about a $2.40 chance to make the top 8 next year, so if the betting agencies are giving me those odds to miss the top 8, of course I'm going to pounce.

Candy, baby.
Remind me how Freo, Bulldogs or Sydney improved their lists? Anyway, this isn't the NBA where adding one player is going to significantly improve a team.

Also funny that you rate Gold Coast getting to finals because of what? Another year of younger players playing together again, but that's impossible for Carlton.

Candy, baby.
The % for injuries is very dependant on who you consider top 9 (a strange number to pick). You keep stating this as if it is a definite statistic. By my calcs Pies were at 95% (I don't consider Grundy who was traded for a pack of chips or Adams in Pies top 9) and Carlton are at 83%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The % for injuries is very dependant on who you consider top 9 (a strange number to pick). You keep stating this as if it is a definite statistic. By my calcs Pies were at 95% (I don't consider Grundy who was traded for a pack of chips or Adams in Pies top 9) and Carlton are at 83%.
Neither Grundy nor Adams in Collingwood's top 9 players at the start of the 2022 season?

Oh my.

The Top 9 for Carlton are obvious:
Cripps
Walsh
Curnow
Weitering
Harry
Saad
Docherty
Hewett
Cerra

Neither Grundy nor Adams in Collingwood's top 9 players at the start of the 2022 season?

Oh my.

Cripps
Walsh
Curnow
Weitering
Harry
Saad
Docherty
Hewett
Cerra
Two of them didn't play in that one point thrashing by Collingwood and no 10 didn't play either.

Oh my.

Cripps
Walsh
Curnow
Weitering
Harry
Saad
Docherty
Hewett
Cerra
Grundy and Adams may have been in the Pies top 9 players at the start of the year but by the end of the year based on the exposed form (and in Grundys case the fact the coach was trying to punt him half way through the year) they clearly were not. You are looking at the players you wouldn't want to lose in 2021 not 2022.

If we are listing players in the top 9 at the start of the year, Docherty coming in without a preseason after recovering from cancer and Curnow having not played good footy in 2.5 years were not in ours. Expectations on both players was very low.

Cerra wasn't in our top 9 at the start of the year or the end year. He came 10th in the b&f with a number of players with injury effected years finishing behind him.

Carlton do have their s**t together, which is annoying it took over 20 years. Will they be the bolter? Talent is there, maturity is about there. Just need to tick two pretty big boxes, get the injuries under control and evolve the game plan/player maturity. It's possible but those boxes need to be ticked.

Dunno how a team that has a Brownlow medallist, two Coleman medallists, and a bevy of top 10 draft picks could be termed a "bolter"?

Voss has the keys to a BMW....they should be belting sides....and should have been in 2022.

Grundy and Adams may have been in the Pies top 9 players at the start of the year but by the end of the year based on the exposed form (and in Grundys case the fact the coach was trying to punt him half way through the year) they clearly were not. You are looking at the players you wouldn't want to lose in 2021 not 2022.

If we are listing players in the top 9 at the start of the year, Docherty coming in without a preseason after recovering from cancer and Curnow having not played good footy in 2.5 years were not in ours. Expectations on both players was very low.

Cerra wasn't in our top 9 at the start of the year or the end year. He came 10th in the b&f with a number of players with injury effected years finishing behind him.
Pretty sure Grundy and Adams, assuming they play close to the standard of footy we have consistently seen from them over the past handful of years, would sit comfortably in any team's top 9 players.

Regardless of your expectations from Docherty and Curnow, them playing at or near the level they have previously show in the past, are both clearly in Carlton's top 9 players. I mean, would you rather a full year on the park from Curnow, or a Silvagni/Martin/Cuningham tier 2 or 3 type player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back