Have Geelong become too powerful?

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
We didn’t lose to you in a final so we don’t care that you won because you did not effect us winning the flag. Pretty simple. But you go on ahead thinking that we are jealous (even though we have 3 more flags than you) to cope.

Three more flags? This guy begs to differ, but sure, keep twisting reality to suit your narrative 🙃

0EF0029B-55A6-42DE-88B6-950EFA932642.jpeg

Last edited:
Rumours had him on 600k at Carlton and Geelong offered more.

Danger 850k
Cameron up to a million.

They matched because they are guns.

Smith, Higgins now Bowes, Bruhn and Henry. also don't come for free not everything has to be 800k plus they can be multiple mid ranged contracts.
These players aren't all leaving their original clubs to be more loyal to Cats and take unders after their original club has looked after them.

It's the 3rd party deals is where I think Geelong are enabling the pay cuts and cap easing.
Ah yes, the "I don't understand something so will insert my own narrative" post

This thread is more of a support group for the conspiracy minded tiger supporters
Except just one of the top 10 posters in this thread is a Richmond supporter, 7 or 8 are Geelong. Most Richmond supporters on this thread appear to be of the opinion that Geelong is not too powerful, but a very, very well run club that has earned its success and has had the respect of the football world for 15 years. An incredible effort.
Oddly, despite this thread being about Geelong, it seems very important to some posters that Richmond supporters be embittered. Probably just projecting their own bitterness and envy of Richmond's recent success. I, like most, was bloody impressed by Geelong's 2022 season. Although I do hope they don't repeat the effort next year. Surely it's my club's turn after 2 years in the wilderness.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Except just one of the top 10 posters in this thread is a Richmond supporter, 7 or 8 are Geelong. Most Richmond supporters on this thread appear to be of the opinion that Geelong is not too powerful, but a very, very well run club that has earned its success and has had the respect of the football world for 15 years. An incredible effort.
Oddly, despite this thread being about Geelong, it seems very important to some posters that Richmond supporters be embittered. Probably just projecting their own bitterness and envy of Richmond's recent success. I, like most, was bloody impressed by Geelong's 2022 season. Although I do hope they don't repeat the effort next year. Surely it's my club's turn after 2 years in the wilderness.

You're bitter! No you're bitter! You're jealous! No you're jealous!

The majority of richmond supporters are fine, the fringe ones seem a bit Qanon adjacent though

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
The world according to the person who started this thread:

Richmond: 3 flags in the last 6 years. Not too powerful

Geelong: 1 flag in a decade. Too powerful.

Yes equalisation needs to get stronger I agree
I preferred the previous decade to the current one. what about you?

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Respect means nothing without being liked. How high can a bird fly out of the the chessboard? Where can the ocean rest? To me if you're respected and not liked people will celebrate harder when the downfall eventually comes.

From a personal POV I get it...but from a Football club POV not so much.

Look around the sporting world. Success breeds arrogance from that clubs supporter base, and hatred from opposing clubs supporter bases. It's always been that way.

It's incredibly rare to be both successful and liked in the sporting world in a team game. It just doesn't happen.

You see it all the time. Most neutrals wanted Melbourne to succeed in 2021....by 2022 most were sick of them and thought they'd had their time in the sun. That's ONE year and it's all it took to go from the loveable underdog to a team many neutrals wanted to see fail. It happened to Geelong, Richmond and even Hawthorn to an extent as well.

There's outliers obviously. Some neutrals just love to see great football, and would therefore admire a winning team...but that belief is very much in the minority.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
must be so good being a cats fan of all ages but especially those aged 15-30... you guys have been spoilt they past 15 years. 4 flags in your fun years. i haven't seen a crows flag since i was 15... argh!

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
must be so good being a cats fan of all ages but especially those aged 15-30... you guys have been spoilt they past 15 years. 4 flags in your fun years. i haven't seen a crows flag since i was 15... argh!

Depending on which way you look at it I feel spoiled.

I started watching footy the day of the 89 GF. Obviously it sucked losing 4 GFs but it was still nice being constantly near the pointy end with really only a gap from 98-03 where we were overwhelmingly average (one EF appearance from memory) so it’s basically been 34 seasons with a quick stop to draw breath in the middle but you’re right the guys who started around 2004-05 definitely have been blessed

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep lucky fans the amount of heartache and bullying growing up in the 90’s have made the last 15 years much sweeter

um you get players dont live in the same house for the rest of their life right and af some point (usually every 7 years) well sell their place and move elsewhere.

BUT it is the bumpkin …. Erm… relaxed lifestyle

Blaming then for Tippett?

we are still paying him and his future generations

SA players get cheap homes but are able to invest in lucrative markets elsewhere with money saved from cheaper housing there.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
we are still paying him and his future generations

SA players get cheap homes but are able to invest in lucrative markets elsewhere with money saved from cheaper housing there.
And sydney homes are worth more so get the players more money when they sell then adelaide homes. Home values dont depreciate like cars making your argument mute.

plus there is the downside of living in adelaide where there is nothing to do.

And sydney homes are worth more so get the players more money when they sell then adelaide homes. Home values dont depreciate like cars making your argument mute.

plus there is the downside of living in adelaide where there is nothing to do.

Rents and affordability of getting into the market... quality for what you get.... unhappily nterest rates are on the march up.

Back