News The Hawthorn Allegations

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Hard to argue against this.

Absolutely no doubt that this is a sham investigation pushed to complete before the end of the year to give season 2023 clear air.
Heaven forbid that someone might be afforded the opportunity to respond to an allegation somehow...

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heaven forbid that someone might be afforded the opportunity to respond to an allegation somehow...
If the woman doesn't have a problem with the panel members then I don't quite understand why she feels unsafe.

Her outrage that the investigation is going to continue the pattern of abuse it is supposedly addressing by investigating “whether the incidents of abuse even took place, (which is a huge insult to the many First Nations players and family members who were brave enough to come forward)” suggests that the claimants believe their version of events should be accepted as the truth, and they need say nothing more, whereas Clarkson seems determined to try and explain the context in which the alleged abuse took place.

Her worry about being retraumatised is surely the same hardship that any victim experiences giving evidence in a trial - can't see this would be any better or worse for a white or indigenous person in the same circumstances.

Suggesting that she would best serve her community by boycotting the investigation is a strange rationalisation of non participation. If claimants feel the same way, then the AFL may as well cancel the investigation and allow the accused to resume life as they knew it. Either that or Clarkson will have it all his own way in providing the context of the abuse and any rebuttal of them.

If the woman doesn't have a problem with the panel members then I don't quite understand why she feels unsafe.

Her outrage that the investigation is going to continue the pattern of abuse it is supposedly addressing by investigating “whether the incidents of abuse even took place, (which is a huge insult to the many First Nations players and family members who were brave enough to come forward)” suggests that the claimants believe their version of events should be accepted as the truth, and they need say nothing more, whereas Clarkson seems determined to try and explain the context in which the alleged abuse took place.

Her worry about being retraumatised is surely the same hardship that any victim experiences giving evidence in a trial - can't see this would be any better or worse for a white or indigenous person in the same circumstances.

Suggesting that she would best serve her community by boycotting the investigation is a strange rationalisation of non participation. If claimants feel the same way, then the AFL may as well cancel the investigation and allow the accused to resume life as they knew it. Either that or Clarkson will have it all his own way in providing the context of the abuse and any rebuttal of them.
Seems that she doesn’t trust the AFL.

Yet she has no problem with the 4 panellists. How does she think their findings are going to be twisted by the AFL?
I don’t know. She clearly doesn’t feel comfortable taking part, and she doesn’t have to.

Clarkson will have the opportunity to detail the context in which these allegations took place.

I will read with interest.

I am not sure what she thought would happen?
Not what some poster here imagine might happen, but what she thought.

Historically we have proof positive, even in the last 12 months, that even with a body, an assailant and numerous witnesses, the offender gets off, sometimes with an award.

How is a an untested allegation about something which is unlikely to even be illegal going to pan out?

I am not sure what she thought would happen?
Not what some poster here imagine might happen, but what she thought.

Historically we have proof positive, even in the last 12 months, that even with a body, an assailant and numerous witnesses, the offender gets off, sometimes with an award.

How is a an untested allegation about something which is unlikely to even be illegal going to pan out?
Perhaps that’s why she prefers not to take part in the AFL inquiry.
She’s already given her statement to the Hawthorn inquiry.

She can just let that stand without be subjected to further examination.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps that’s why she prefers not to take part in the AFL inquiry.
She’s already given her statement to the Hawthorn inquiry.

She can just let that stand without be subjected to further examination.

Which is absolutely her right.

However the panel will have to effectively disregard her statement. It will have no standing if they can’t investigate it. Addressing what happened to Amy can only be examined if her partner speaks up. Plus evidence from the coaching staff…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know. She clearly doesn’t feel comfortable taking part, and she doesn’t have to.

Clarkson will have the opportunity to detail the context in which these allegations took place.

I will read with interest.
Will you get to read with interest? I doubt they'll release anything other than the findings.

Which is absolutely her right.

However the panel will have to effectively disregard her statement. It will have no standing if they can’t investigate it. Addressing what happened to Amy can only be examined if her partner speaks up. Plus evidence from the coaching staff…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wonder whether it's related to the AFL's handling of the Adelaide camp investigation. Betts and others participated with the investigation and the AFL effectively buried it. Wouldn't be surprised if these complainants feel that they are going to get the same treatment.

Amazing cooincidence that Amy’s lawyer has timed the announcement of the refusal to participate with clarkos first day in the new job.

Doesn’t trust the legal process but using one of the oldest legal/PR tricks in the book.
Why not?
Clarkson had his say too.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

I wonder whether it's related to the AFL's handling of the Adelaide camp investigation. Betts and others participated with the investigation and the AFL effectively buried it. Wouldn't be surprised if these complainants feel that they are going to get the same treatment.
Could it be the complainants are worried that regardless of the outcome it will eventually get into the mainstream courts? I can see both the coaches lawyers going to town with this.

Could it be the complainants are worried that regardless of the outcome it will eventually get into the mainstream courts? I can see both the coaches lawyers going to town with this.
Then you can’t see too well.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why not?
Clarkson had his say too.

It’s inconsistent with the message she’s trying to send.

Let’s not pretend she isn’t playing this legal game as hard as anybody. The system she claims that she doesn’t trust is the same system she’s utilising for maximum effect, with guidance from her legal counsel.

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just saying, thread belongs elsewhere imo, it's not Collingwood related.

That’s the mods call not yours……but personally for such a contentious issue I’d rather be amongst friends discussing this topic rather than bickering with the great unwashed on the main board.

Back