News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Faith is for people who can't handle the idea of mortality.

Sitting on a cloud playing a harp doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

But when you have sanctioned "pride" rounds to celebrate "diversity", and part of that diversity is homosexuality then you are being forced to celebrate it.

Allowing others to celebrate something isn't shoving anything down anyone's throat.

It's not like it's Good Friday or the queen's birthday or something where stuff that people don't agree with actually shuts down the country. There's a case to say that that's shoving it down people's throats.

You're incredibly precious if you feel that something like a themed football round is shoving something down you're throat.

The roles have basically reversed. The homophobe is thought of much as the gay man was thirty years ago, as long as they keep their bigotry quiet and at home nobody will worry them too much but flaunting it in public really isn't on and people will judge you for it.

Just to be clear, I’m taking specifically about “faith”, not religion.

If “faith” gives you all that, so does wishful thinking.
Yeah, I am agnostic but happy for people to be who they want to as long as they leave others to do the same.

I would feel arrogant picking a religion, it's like picking a horse in a race but the outcome of picking the wrong one seems unfair.

So what you’re really saying is Christianity is pretty much powerless against human moral failings.
No humans are powerless. Which is why we need Jesus and what he did for us as Christians. The power of the cross over rides any moral failings by Christian’s. By grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift from God.

No humans are powerless. Which is why we need Jesus and what he did for us as Christians. The power of the cross over rides any moral failings by Christian’s. By grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift from God.

I am not a Christian, but I doubt Jesus himself would have compared abortions to the Holocaust nor supported the persecution and conversion therapy of Homosexuals.

Nothing wrong at all fundamentally with Christian beliefs and the bible, but it's been distorted and twisted by RWNJs to encourage bigotry and discrimination by some sects/demonations of Christiaity like Thorburn's (and to be fair here, also applies to other major/Aramaic Religions as well)

It's been used as tool by powerful men to wield power over the masses for centuries, and I would argue goes against the meaning and purpose for any faith.

Yeah well I'll tell you how all that looks to me.

Christians are no better than anyone else. Converting people to Christianity is nothing more than a process that gets perfectly normal, self-respecting humans to somehow take on this whole new self-loathing concept out of left field called "sin".

Always struck me as a fatal flaw in the fundamental deal offered by Christianity - before you can convince someone that Jesus is their savior, you have to make them actually believe they need saving.

From what?

"Sin."

"What is sin? I've never heard of such a thing."

"Ah, that's something we invented, so you could be saved."

So weird. Christianity had to invent sin, and hell, and the devil. All things which normal people have no need of.

The self-loathing is huge.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah well I'll tell you how all that looks to me.

Christians are no better than anyone else. Converting people to Christianity is nothing more than a process that gets perfectly normal, self-respecting humans to somehow take on this whole new concept out of left field called "sin".

Always struck me as a fatal flaw in the fundamental deal offered by Christianity - before you can convince someone that Jesus is their savior, you have to make them actually believe they need saving.

From what?

"Sin."

"What is sin? I've never heard of such a thing."

"Ah, that's something we invented, so you could be saved."

So weird. Christianity had to invent sin, and hell, and the devil. All things which normal people have no need of.

The self-loathing is huge.
You’re right, Christian’s are no better than anyone else. Sin is evident all around us my friend. Black matter and black energy is what’s unproven and flawed in the Big Bang. It’s you who has your head in the sand.

Yeah, I am agnostic but happy for people to be who they want to as long as they leave others to do the same.
Me too.

Unfortunately our culture in Australia was very much shaped by a proselytizing religion.

I am an atheist, but other than discussion on a dedicated forum like this, I have no desire whatsoever to convert anyone to atheism, or to force my atheism down anyone's throat. I only ask that religious believers show the same respect for me.

(And it wouldn't hurt for it to dawn on them that millions of religious believers in the world are perfectly able to be devout without ever proselytizing.)

You’re right, Christian’s are no better than anyone else. Sin is evident all around us my friend. Black matter and black energy is what’s unproven and flawed in the Big Bang. It’s you who has your head in the sand.
You would say that, wouldn't you. Without sin, your religion has no point. And yet sin is a total fabrication.

Copout. And yet you deign to pass judgement on the scientific method.
Fine, it’s easy to prove.

The definition of sin is ‘an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.’ We have prisons filled with people who break the civil law which is founded on the law found in the Bible. People are greedy, people lie, people steal, people abuse power, people abuse people, people murder people. All transgressions against civil law and divine law. After all it is not called black sin. We see it happening every day.

Fine, it’s easy to prove.

The definition of sin is ‘an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.’ We have prisons filled with people who break the civil law which is founded on the law found in the Bible. People are greedy, people lie, people steal, people abuse power, people abuse people, people murder people. All transgressions against civil law and divine law. After all it is not called black sin. We see it happening every day.
Is jerking the old gherkin still considered a sin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back