Rumour 2022 Draft Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider posting your hypothetical Pick swaps, or opinions on what's fair, in the linked thread instead! That way, you can discuss in the proper space and this thread can remain more on topic

rumour (n)​

1. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally
  2. gossip or hearsay

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard it'll be Wardlaw, Tsatas or Humphrey depending on who North takes, if we keep the pick.

If Wardlaw is there we will take him.

The academy system needs to go. All northern academy should be scrapped. Gold Coast don’t need any more hand out
I have no problem with academies if well known struggling clubs such as yours, Roos and Dogs get something. The rest of us Victorian clubs all play 4+ at the MCG a year whereas you get 2 if you’re lucky.

I have no problem with academies if well known struggling clubs such as yours, Roos and Dogs get something. The rest of us Victorian clubs all play 4+ at the MCG a year whereas you get 2 if you’re lucky.
Yeah but that’s not the case. Struggling Vic clubs get nothing’s. saints got there guys last year but were very lucky to. Suns might get 3 top ten kids next year. It’s shit

The academy system needs to go. All northern academy should be scrapped. Gold Coast don’t need any more hand out
At some point, Gold Coast are going to need to figure out how to survive without mummy and daddy. Northern Academies, in theory, grow the game but they're not working that well to drive support. It would be better if the AFL worked on driving community participation for juniors and growing fans from the grass roots, not selecting a handful of kids to train in some secretive location and get a ticket into the AFL. Not a draft rumour, but my few cents' worth.

Yeah but that’s not the case. Struggling Vic clubs get nothing’s. saints got there guys last year but were very lucky to. Suns might get 3 top ten kids next year. It’s s**t

Suns keep getting raided for top drafted talent every season from Vic (and other) clubs. Whilst that continues, the Suns will keep their Academy, and rightfully so.

I'm not sure I believe that a club has explicitly told a kid not only that they will be drafting him, but which pick they will be drafting him with.

More likely, North have told both they are keen on them and they are in the mix at those selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns keep getting raided for top drafted talent every season from Vic (and other) clubs. Whilst that continues, the Suns will keep their Academy, and rightfully so.
Then the benifit of the academy should be that there is local talent at other clubs to lure home.
That said, until they have been around long enough to start generating father sons, I'm happy for GWS and Gold coast to have academies.
Brisbane and Sydney's probably need to be reassessed.

I think GWS & Suns should get some extra Sal Cap relief as they need to pay more for players for retention at this stage as new clubs

I'm not sure I believe that a club has explicitly told a kid not only that they will be drafting him, but which pick they will be drafting him with.

More likely, North have told both they are keen on them and they are in the mix at those selections.

North and GWS were completely upfront with each other during the trade period.

Both know each other’s intentions with the top 3 picks. As GWS needed to sell their side for the #1 pick to be traded.

Any footballer that play's in a winning grand final team, their son should automatically be eligible to be selected under father/son doesn't matter how many games they play!! If you are good enough to be in a premiership side it shouldn't matter how many games you played!!
Inaugural players, or at the very least, inaugural club captains, should be automatically eligible.

Would give the new clubs at least something to counter the victorian F/s advantage.

Hey, we’re fine with that.

When…

VIC kids stop telling clubs they don’t want to leave Melbourne/Geelong.

It’s a national competition. If they’re not prepared to move interstate, don’t sign the consent form.

Rookie contracts are extended to 4 years, and clubs have the right to extend contracts out to 8 years.

Kids stay for the full length of their contract.

Clubs have to declare all third party

North and GWS were completely upfront with each other during the trade period.

Both know each other’s intentions with the top 3 picks. As GWS needed to sell their side for the #1 pick to be traded.

Two clubs knowing what the other is doing, is not the same thing as telling junior footballers where they plan to draft them.

It's a sliding scale sort of argument. At the very pointy end of the draft you have certainty if you want it.

I have little doubt that Cadman knows for sure he is going to GWS and has been informed. I then also have little doubt that Sheezel and Wardlaw have now been informed they are going to North.

Now, beyond Essendon informing someome, everything else is a lottery and no-one will have been informed they are going anywhere.

Assuming other than being hit by the proverbial bus though, just 3 weeks out from the draft, i see it likely that the very top end picks are being informed via management.

Two clubs knowing what the other is doing, is not the same thing as telling junior footballers where they plan to draft them.

You can only do it when there’s absolute assurance of where you can take them, in reality it’s generally only the first few picks of the draft.

I.e this exact situation.

Regardless, choose what you want to believe. Wardlaw now follows all North socials, which he did around the time he was rumored to be told.

A rabid Essendon fan who followed none else (and follows none else) until about 6 days ago.

I think GWS & Suns should get some extra Sal Cap relief as they need to pay more for players for retention at this stage as new clubs

Of course they should, but then we will get even more sooking from Vic clubs and Vic club supporters about unfair advantage to the Suns and Giants.
The AFL can't win either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back