Prediction Giants BF Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the GWS Mock Draft order for the GWS Board Mock Draft.

Reminder, we'll select 3 rounds - as we get close to that (after a number of bids & matches, the last 'third round pick' will come earlier, I'll assess where we actually finish.

Reminder to tag me into any trades, bids & matches, and I will update the draft order after any bid matches (with an explanation of the matching cost & impact on draft order - based on my imperfect understanding of the AFL rules!). Also tag the next poster once you've selected your player.

I will pin this post & also update selected players as I can.

RoundPickPicks after 2022 TradesPointsWith DiscountPlayer selected
Round 11Brisbane30002400Will Ashcroft (bid match)
Round 12GWS Giants25172014Harry Sheezel
Round 13North Melbourne22341787George Wardlaw
Round 14North Melbourne20341627Aaron Cadman
Round 15Essendon18781502Elijah Tsatas
Round 16Gold Coast Suns17511401Reuben Ginbey
Round 17Hawthorn16441315Mattes Phillipou
Round 18Geelong Cats15511241Jhye Clark
Round 19West Coast Eagles14691175Cameron Mackenzie
Round 110St Kilda13951116Bailey Humphrey
Round 111Carlton13291063Jedd Busslinger
Round 112Western Bulldogs12681014Oliver Hollands
Round 113West Coast Eagles1212970Ed Allan
Round 114Melbourne1161929Matthew Jefferson
Round 115Sydney Swans1112890Lachlan Cowan
Round 116GWS Giants1067854Jacob Konstanty
Round 117Brisbane1025820Jaspa Fletcher (bid match)
Round 118Essendon985788Josh Weddle
Round 219Sydney Swans948751Brayden George
Round 220GWS Giants912715Charlie Clarke
Round 221GWS Giants878681Coby Burgiel
Round 222West Coast Eagles845648Elijah Hewett
Round 223Western Bulldogs815618Lewis Hayes
Round 224Essendon785588Alwyn Davey Jr (bid match)
Round 225Collingwood756559Harry Barnett
Round 226North Melbourne729532Olli Hotton
Compensation Pick27Hawthorn703506Henry Hustwaite
Round 228Collingwood677480Isaac Keeler
Round 229West Coast Eagles653456Darcy Jones
Round 230Adelaide629432Max Michalanney (bid match)
Round 231GWS Giants606409Harry Rowston (bid match)
Round 232Collingwood584387Mitch Sybkowski
Round 233St Kilda563366Harry Lemmey
Round 234Carlton542345Max Gruzewski
Compensation Pick35Fremantle522325Sam Gilbey
Round 236St Kilda502305Adam D'Aloia
Round 237Port Adelaide483286Ethan Phillips
Round 238Melbourne465268Jakob Ryan
Round 339Western Bulldogs446249Jaiden Magor
Round 340North Melbourne429232Harvey Gallagher
Round 341Hawthorn412215Billy Dowling
Round 342Sydney Swans395198Jed Hagan
Round 343North Melbourne378181Cooper Harvey
Round 344Fremantle362165Jed Adams
Round 345Gold Coast Suns347150Noah Long
Round 346St Kilda331134James Van Es
Round 347Hawthorn316119Kaleb Smith
Round 348Essendon302105Anthony Munkara (bid match)
Compensation Pick49Hawthorn28790Jaxon Binns
Round 350Carlton27376Casey Voss
Round 351Collingwood25962Blake Drury
Round 352Carlton24649Will Verrall
Round 353Richmond23336Luke Teal
Compensation Pick54GWS Giants22023Pass
Round 355Geelong Cats20710Tom McCallum
Round 356Adelaide1940Cooper Vickery
Round 357Port Adelaide1820Jason Gilbee
Round 358Richmond1700Phoenix Foster
Round 459Geelong Cats1580Pass
Round 460Adelaide1460Tom Scully
Round 461Carlton1350Pass
Round 462Fremantle1230Nick Sadler
Round 463Western Bulldogs1120Pass
Round 464GWS Giants1010Pass
Round 465Sydney Swans900Pass
Round 466Fremantle800Harry Boyd
Round 467West Coast Eagles690Hudson O'Keefe
Round 468Port Adelaide590Ted Clohesy
Round 469St Kilda490Pass
Round 470Carlton390Pass
Round 471Western Bulldogs290Pass
Round 472Richmond190Archie Lovelock (tentative)
Round 473Fremantle90Pass
Round 474Melbourne00Toby McMullin
Round 475Sydney Swans00Pass
Round 476Port Adelaide00Pass
Round 577St Kilda00Pass
Round 578Richmond00Pass
Round 579Melbourne00Pass
Round 580Brisbane00Max Knobel
Round 581Brisbane00Pass
Round 582Brisbane00Pass
Round 583Essendon00Pass

Rioli2Rioli, Orange crush, PMBangers, sydney_gws, Andre the Giant, GWS Goose

Last edited:
Pick 33 - St Kilda - Harry Lemmey

I had hoped that at least one of Isaac Keeler or Mitch Szybkowski would make it throughout to this pick, but alas, they did not. I pondered therefore on what was the best course of action at this pick. St Kilda's list might be considered in a bit of 'no man's land' - in that they could do with some talent in multiple roles, but it's hard to find it after pick 30 without uncovering a real diamond in the rough.

One area in which St Kilda could do with some reinforcement is KPF. Max King (when he's got his kicking boots on) is excellent, but their second forward drops away to undersized players in Hayes (ruck/forward), Sharman, Wood (both under-sized talls) and Membrey (a very under-sized tall).

Hence, I've gone with Harry Lemmey on the basis mainly of what he did prior to this year, plus some glimpses at junior level in SA comps, rather than the relatively poor showings he had at U18 Championships. He is one who could prove to be a masterstroke, or a dismal failure. Saints will have their fingers crossed for the former.

"A leading forward who presents strongly at the football and uses it well by foot.”

STRENGTHS:

• Athletic profile
  • Forward craft
  • Kicking
  • Leading patterns
  • Overhead marking

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Competitiveness
  • Consistency

Despite being unable to re-capture his 2021 form, Lemmey possesses the physical tools and overall talent to succeed at AFL level. At 199cm, he's a great size for a key forward and his reach makes it difficult for defenders to spoil when he meets the ball at the highest point. His greatest strength is the work he does on the lead. The young key forward possesses great leading instincts, demonstrating a clear understanding of where the space is inside forward 50. He leads with intent and takes the ball cleanly out in front, giving defenders very little chance to spoil the mark.

His strength on the lead is not isolated to his work inside 50. Lemmey is comfortable pushing up onto the wings and through the middle of the ground, where his ability to mark and use the football makes him an important part in the way his side transitions play. When at his best, Lemmey can work over his opponent, dragging him up the ground, before turning and leading back into space towards goal.

Lemmey's decision making and ability to execute by foot, particularly when delivering inside 50, is exceptional for a key position player. His placement is smart and he's capable of hitting a low, penetrating ball to his teammates advantage. Whilst his field kicking is a weapon, he's also a competent finisher in front of goal, with range beyond the 50-metre arc.

Orange crush, you're up to pick for Carlton.

Pick 34 - Carlton - Max Gruzewski

Following up Busslinger, Carlton will add to its tall stocks with Maxy boy. Potential as a double-ender ... will offer potential support to Harry and Charlie going forward.

SNAPSHOT: “ A versatile tall who has shown some promising signs at both ends of the ground and shapes as a possible first round bolter”

A fair few Oakleigh players have had some troubles this year and Gruzewski shares a very similar story to Elijah Tsatas as a player who started the year strong only to get injured in the middle of the year. That resulted in the athletic tall missing the bulk of the national championships, only to come back later in the year and really catch the eye and finish the year strongly.

Gruzewski’s greatest feat and strongest impression on recruiters however may have come off the field, with his fantastic show of sportsmanship helping Lewis Hayes cross the finish line in the 2km when his legs gave way and just could not go on. It is safe to say recruiters would have been more happy to see that act rather than a few less seconds off his 2km time.

Gruzewski has grown slightly from 192cm to 193cm, and is just a smidge short to play on some of the 200cm-plus key forwards, but with his impressive leap he could still potentially hold his own. Gruzewski’s athletic profile and play style are not unlike recent top 10 pick Josh Gibcus and it is likely that added height which helped garner that high pick and why Gruzewski could go lower than his talent may suggest.

Gruzewski played six of his seven games as a key defender for Oakleigh which lead to an average of 13.7 possessions and five marks per game which is certainly solid for a tall key defender with his one game up forward only scoring one goal he still looked like a threat whenever the ball came inside 50. Gruzewski would play forward in his only outing for Vic Metro kicking two goals and taking a brilliant leaping mark showcasing his impressive leap and marking which was used on plenty of occasions at APS level as well for Caulfield where he spent time forward, back and also in the ruck.

Giant Strides up next

Last edited:
Pick 35 - Fremantle - Sam Gilbey

This selection may polarise Freo fans, as "just another HBF". And to be honest, I did agonise over whether he suits Freo's list best. But it's hard to overlook the quality of this kid, albeit the risk being his slight frame and some underage injury woes. But if he overcomes those, he'll slot right alongside guys like Hayden Young and Heath Chapman in providing counterattack to Freo. Notwithstanding his own preference for defence, I think he could also slot onto a wing, replacing the departing Blake Acres, and it's probably this thought that swayed me to making this selection.

“A silky smooth rebounding defender with lethal foot skills and sound decision making.”

STRENGTHS:

• Athleticism
  • Class
  • Decision making
  • Intercept marking
  • Kicking
  • Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Contested game
  • Durability
  • Strength

Gilbey says himself that half-back is where he plays his best footy, and he has all the tools of a classic rebounding defender. At 187cm, he holds his own aerially with intercept marks and sets off confidently into space, showcasing good speed and a punishing left-foot kick. Fittingly, he looks to the likes of Lachie Whitfield and Christian Salem for inspiration.

Unlike some, Gilbey utilises his athletic gifts on-field and has incorporated them perfectly into his game. As his 70 per cent uncontested possession rate suggests, he is the type who can take on the role of designated kicker and hurt the opposition when afforded time and space, particularly by foot.

So lethal is his left boot, that Gilbey went by hand just 20 per cent of the time during this year's National Championships. While certainly damaging with little pressure on his disposal, Gilbey also makes sound decisions in tight spots and can open up the game with long-range disposals. Add to that his ability to run and carry, and he's a real metres gained asset with the class to make opposition pay.

Pick 36 - St Kilda - Adam D'Aloia

Having picked up a strong midfielder-forward and a developmental KPF, I was looking at this pick to further strengthen the Saints' midfield that lacks quality outside of Jack Steele. Hence, I've selected Adam D'Aloia. Before the start of this season, he was probably rated in the first round, but has drifted due to lack of athleticism, speed and power away from the contest. But in the contest itself, he's superb, and that's something that Saints could do with. However, he does need to work on those deficiencies - if he can, he'll be a great complement to the Saints' midfield.

“A contested ball-winning beast who has been a top performer at every level.”

STRENGTHS:

• Contested work
  • Clearance game
  • Clean hands
  • Consistency
  • Leadership
  • Tackling

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Athleticism
  • Kicking under pressure
  • Speed

D'Aloia has proven to be one of the premier inside midfielders in this year's draft pool, with a game built on hard work and competitiveness. There are few, if any, that have demonstrated a greater ability to win the ball at stoppage. Throw in his ability to free his hands and distribute cleanly to teammates on the outside, and you have one of the most impactful players in this year's class.

Far from just a ball winner, D'Aloia has displayed a commitment to impacting the game defensively across his entire junior career. His pressure around the contest is top tier and his ability as a tackler makes him a tough opponent for any opposition player.

What makes D'Aloia so impressive is his ability to bring the same level of intensity and commitment to every game, regardless of the level or opposition. This level of consistency has become a trademark of his junior career. It's just incredibly rare for him not to be one of his side's best performers on any given day. Being best on ground in the 2021 SANFL Under 18 Grand Final and South Australia's 2022 MVP of the Under 18 National Championships tells you all you need to know about D'Aloia's big game capabilities. His ability to rise to the level and stand up in big games and big moments cannot be questioned.

Based on performance and output alone, D'Aloia should be a first round selection with speed and athleticism the key separator between him and the other top midfield prospects. A lack of burst and explosiveness makes it challenging for him to get separation at stoppage, forcing many of his possessions to be under extreme pressure. While D'Aloia does a fantastic job of absorbing that pressure and executing by hand, some improvement could be made on his kicking in similar situations.

It's hard to believe D'Aloia won't find a way to make an impact at AFL level. If he's given the opportunity and experiences some improvement athletically, the South Australian skipper will likely represent great value wherever he lands on draft night.

Pick 37 - Port Adelaide - Ethan Phillips

Probably the easist list analysis in AFL this year is to identify that Port Adelaide needs a tall defender. With Aliir Aliir their tallest currently at 194cm, and only two above 192cm, they have struggled in defending against the taller KPFs in the AFL.

There seem to be few more ready-made key defensive options around the country than Ethan Phillips, the winner of this year's Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal. The Port Melbourne defender was in contention to be drafted out of the junior pathway, but has emerged again as a prospect at 23-years-old. The Borough backman was resolute across 15 VFL outings this season, putting up ridiculous intercept numbers as the standout young player in the competition.

Phillips' game revolves around intercepting, a crucial part of modern day defending. He averaged a whopping 11.5 intercept possessions and 5.1 intercept marks for the Borough, also getting his fist in for 3.7 spoils per game. Needless to say, he proved difficult to get past with such astute reading of the play and commitment to the aerial contest. Plying his trade against AFL-listed forwards in the semi-national state league, his efforts were well under the eye of recruiters.

The mature-ager will look to become yet another Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medallist to enter the top flight directly after taking out said honour, and his skillset offers arguably much of what is required to be a tall defender in the AFL. Having built his frame and become established at a high level, Phillips is now more ready than ever to make the step-up.

A very straightforward call, IMHO, with no notable sliders at this point of the draft, to look to fix Port's biggest concern.

PMBangers you can close out round 2 with Melbourne's selection at #38.

I m going to go someone a little less talked about with another risk/reward selection but this time for the Dogs (it is that time of the draft)
Jaiden Magor.
He is a small forward/Midfielder who missed the bulk of the champs through injury, he may have went much earlier if he had a full champs. Although he has spent equal time in the midfield and forward, it it the 11 goals in the last 2 games of SA u/18 that caught attention and is pretty much the catalyst for this selection. 185cm and 80kg is a good size for the modern small forward who pinch hits in the mid.

I run the risk of being way off with this selection as I havent seen too much written about him, hopefully it is around and I've just missed it and this is a reasonable selection.

I m going to go someone a little less talked about with another risk/reward selection but this time for the Dogs (it is that time of the draft)
Jaiden Magor.
He is a small forward/Midfielder who missed the bulk of the champs through injury, he may have went much earlier if he had a full champs. Although he has spent equal time in the midfield and forward, it it the 11 goals in the last 2 games of SA u/18 that caught attention and is pretty much the catalyst for this selection. 185cm and 80kg is a good size for the modern small forward who pinch hits in the mid.

I run the risk of being way off with this selection as I havent seen too much written about him, hopefully it is around and I've just missed it and this is a reasonable selection.
I've liked Jaiden Magor and talked about him as a possible late option for GWS in the circumstance that we end up with a latish pick. I reckon he works for Dogs - Hollands and Magor for the departed Dunkley and Hunter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've liked Jaiden Magor and talked about him as a possible late option for GWS in the circumstance that we end up with a latish pick. I reckon he works for Dogs - Hollands and Magor for the departed Dunkley and Hunter.
Exactly my thinking.

Pick 40 - Nth Melbourne
Harvey Gallagher
Small Utility

Height: 179cm
Weight: 77kg
D.O.B: 26-09-2003

Profile -
Possibly the best of the State Draft Combine invites, Harvey Gallagher exploded late in 2022 with a move to defence ultimately putting him in the AFL Draft frame.

A handy talent as a small forward/midfielder, Gallagher was thrown behind the ball from Round 12, which seemed a fascinating call given he had booted three goals in back-to-back games, albeit over the space of a month.

Down back, the Pioneers skipper tore the competition apart, with his 24-disposal, seven rebound-50 match in Round 12 remarkably the lowest of his final six NAB League games.

His numbers blew up the stats sheet with hauls of 24, 28, 37, 42 and 44 in that stint, earning him a Vic Country call-up in the final game. Unlike some who might just accumulate the ball, Gallagher generally uses it well and provides tons of run from the back half. His work rate is exceptional, and Gallagher even gets forward to boot goals.

Since moving into defence, Gallagher kicked 7.12, and could have had more influence had he finished off his hard work.

It is fair to say Gallagher is not an inside ball-winner, but the role he plays he does not need to be, instead intercepting the ball or receiving it by hand and looking to run and carry to set up scoring chains down the field. A remarkable revival.

Rationale - this young player compliments the group already selected. He has thrived since being put behind the ball as an interceptor has been impressive. At this point of the draft he looks a nice addition.

Over to Andre the Giant with Hawthorn and Pick 41.

Pick 41 - Hawthorn
Billy Dowling
Midfielder

Height: 187cm
Weight: 79kg
D.O.B: 01-07-2004

Profile -
Few players boast some of the stat lines that Billy Dowling produced this season.

He was simply impossible to slow down in the SANFL Under 18 competition, averaging more than 30 possessions a game on his way to being named the league’s Most Valuable Player.

His Round 16 performance against eventual premiers Glenelg was one of many season highlights, with Dowling collecting 44 disposals to go with 4.3, in a clear best on ground display.

Selected to represent South Australia at the Under 18 National Championships, Dowling played every game in the tournament and was one his state’s best and most consistent contributors.

A strong accumulator who hits the scoreboard, Dowling also possesses the athletic attributes that will simplify his transition to AFL football, should he be given the opportunity.

His physical profile and overall ability suggests that he could fill a variety of different roles at the elite level.

Rationale - With some of the experienced midfield losses the Hawks will need some blokes that can get the pill, this is something Dowling has shown he is quite adept at. With his versatility and ability to go forward and score he looks a good option at this selection.

Sydney pick Jed Hagen.
He's too small and not fast enough according to many.
That may be true, but the kid can play footy. He has been touted as a star in WA forever and keeps on performing. He has been excellent at every level and was again excellent at the state championship and played well against the men.
As I stated earlier, Sydney is pretty ok in all areas and Kinnear Beetson is sort of guy to pick the footballer despite him not having the athletic traits they want.

Pick 43 - Nth Melbourne
Cooper Harvey
Midfielder, Forward

Height: 180cm
Weight: 82kg
D.O.B: 12-07-2004

Profile -
Perhaps a father-son candidate flying under the radar, Cooper Harvey is certainly well known to North Melbourne fans.

The son of AFL games record holder Brent, he boasts similar instincts around goal but is slightly taller as a midfielder/forward.

The junior Harvey played alongside his father, and uncle Shane at local level with North Heidelberg, before making his NAB League debut this year and helping Assumption College take out the AGSV school football title.

Overcoming repeat arm injuries, he turned out eight times for a Knights side which snuck into finals via Wildcard Round, and cracked a stacked Vic Metro squad for the National Championships decider.

Harvey is a tough customer on the inside, possessing a clean set of hands and the strong frame to hold his own at the coalface.

He also works hard around the ground and is a neat enough kick in the short range, but can overall improve in that department and in the way of consistency.

He compounds his work with the ability to snare goals up forward, as showcased by his big mark and goal to seal Vic Metro's championship victory.

Rationale - Harvey as a son of Nth Melbourne royalty is a strong candidate to be picked up. He is different to his dad in that he is a little taller but lacks Brent’s skill and power. A nice enough player for not a huge cost, this selection completes the Kangaroos draft.

Next up it’s Giant Strides with Freo.

Pick 43 - Nth Melbourne
Cooper Harvey

Height: 180cm
Weight: 82kg
D.O.B: 12-07-2004

Profile -
Perhaps a father-son candidate flying under the radar, Cooper Harvey is certainly well known to North Melbourne fans.

The son of AFL games record holder Brent, he boasts similar instincts around goal but is slightly taller as a midfielder/forward.

The junior Harvey played alongside his father, and uncle Shane at local level with North Heidelberg, before making his NAB League debut this year and helping Assumption College take out the AGSV school football title.

Overcoming repeat arm injuries, he turned out eight times for a Knights side which snuck into finals via Wildcard Round, and cracked a stacked Vic Metro squad for the National Championships decider.

Harvey is a tough customer on the inside, possessing a clean set of hands and the strong frame to hold his own at the coalface.

He also works hard around the ground and is a neat enough kick in the short range, but can overall improve in that department and in the way of consistency.

He compounds his work with the ability to snare goals up forward, as showcased by his big mark and goal to seal Vic Metro's championship victory.

Rationale - Harvey as a son of Nth Melbourne royalty is a strong candidate to be picked up. He is different to his dad in that he is a little taller but lacks Brent’s skill and power. A nice enough player for not a huge cost, this selection completes the Kangaroos draft.

Next up it’s Giant Strides with Freo.
Is he really a chance to be drafted?

Asking not questioning, saw the feel good story playing with Dad, didn't realise he was a realistic chance to drafted

Is he really a chance to be drafted?

Asking not questioning, saw the feel good story playing with Dad, didn't realise he was a realistic chance to drafted
Yes, indeed. Missed a lot of footy early with a broken (leg or arm, can't remember exactly), but played some pretty good school and club games, and played in the final U18 Championships game for VM v VC where he did pretty well. I think he's a dead cert to be selected by Norths.

Unfortunately, I was going to select Jed Hagen, until he went 2 picks ago. Instead, I'll turn to another Jed ...

Pick 44 - Fremantle - Jed Adams

STRENGTHS:

• Decision making
  • Kicking
  • Marking
  • One-on-ones
  • Versatility

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Defending at ground level
  • Speed

A strong and versatile key defender, Adams is one of many players who came into 2022 with limited exposure and impressed immensely. Level headed and a smart defender, Adams is just as important to his side off the field as he is on it. He has proven in 2022 that he can perform strongly as the lockdown defender taking on the most dangerous key forward on many occasions and shutting them down more often than not.

Averaging a tick over five marks per game, including a monster 11-mark outing early in the season, Adams took many impressive contested grabs. Though, his smarts to know when it’s best to forgo the mark and kill the ball with his fist or take his man out with good body use is one of his best assets.

His ability to play as an intercept defender is perhaps overshadowed by his lockdown work, but it is not uncommon to see him leave his man and pluck to an errant ball or fly in front of the pack to take one uncontested. He is a smart user of the footy out of defence, often taking the safe, possession holding option if there isn’t a clear avenue to go forward, resulting in very few turnovers.

Showing flashes in other roles - pinch hitting in the ruck and even managing three goals when moving forward - Adams provides a great option for clubs looking for young key position players. His upside is there and with more exposure or a clean run at it, he could certainly continue to show great improvement.

As I said, I was expecting Jed Hagen to last through to this selection, having debated taking him with my first pick; but my previous choice (Sam Gilbey) was one who had too much quality to leave go earlier. Again, I considered others here with the expectation that Adams might last to Freo's next pick - but I don't want to outsmart myself, and, in reality, Fremantle is crying out for another strong KPD to start developing behind Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling. I considered James Van Es, but I have reservations (despite his very strong combine results) and to me Adams just has greater versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back