Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to the Crows (not a sentence I enjoy typing), Rachele and Thilthorpe missed a lot of football this year and Rankine wasn't on their list. You'd expect all three of those to walk into the top 10 B&F if they play a full season next year.
I’m sure North and Hawks have youngsters who would do the same if they played full seasons, free of injury.

Jiath, Day, Reeves and Worpel for Hawks for example.

Crows have quite a few first round picks that have yet to amount to much. McAsey, Jones, Milera, Pedlar, Hately etc, so in a list comparison Thilthorpe, Rachele and Rankine need to do a lot of heavy lifting for the crows group of youngsters to be considered better than North and Hawks who have a larger sample of players with exposed form.

Probably because they have had the least amount of young talent that’s performing well at the highest level each week going by their B&F results in 2022.

Only 3 players under 25 in the top 10 of their best and fairest.

North had 5, Hawks had 6*.

*16 in the top 25, other clubs have only published their Top 10.

Adelaide had the youngest list and this is about projection. its 6 if you include Dawson Keays and Doedee.

Using BnF results is dumb though, there are 15 young crows that would make norths top 10 bnf

Adelaide had the youngest list and this is about projection. its 6 if you include Dawson Keays and Doedee.

Using BnF results is dumb though, there are 15 young crows that would make norths top 10 bnf
Care to name the 15 players?

Why would I include those players above when they’re not under 25, in a thread about youth.

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

Crows have quite a few first round picks that have yet to amount to much. McAsey, Jones, Milera, Pedlar, Hately etc
Pedlar is one of our most exciting players when he isn't injured

Thilthorpe, Rachele and Rankine need to do a lot of heavy lifting for the crows group of youngsters to be considered better than North and Hawks who have a larger sample of players with exposed form.
The Crows group of youngsters last year was arguably carried by players you haven't even bothered mentioning, Fogarty, Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg ...

Care to name the 15 players?

Why would I include those players above when they’re not under 25, in a thread about youth.
pretty obvious joke i would of thought.

Most players peak when their 26-28, so including 25 year olds seems relevant.

If you wanted to really make it about youth, than why not make the cut off 23?

The Crows group of youngsters last year was arguably carried by players you haven't even bothered mentioning, Fogarty, Berry, Soligo, Schoenberg ...
Didn’t Schoenberg have a poor year and was dropped? Looked much better at the backend of 21

Pedlar averaged 1.7 disposals in 2022.

You must be excited about what he’s done at SANFL level, because he’s not done much at AFL level like I said.

Pedlar averaged 1.7 disposals in 2022.

You must be excited about what he’s done at SANFL level, because he’s not done much at AFL level like I said.
Averaged 5 disposals, Only played the 1 game and played out of position as a small forward, The other 2 games he was the medi-sub and wasn't used

Well yeah, Extremely excited from his SANFL form, Just can't catch a break with injuries ...

pretty obvious joke i would of thought.

Most players peak when their 26-28, so including 25 year olds seems relevant.

If you wanted to really make it about youth, than why not make the cut off 23?
23 is an odd cut off to me, particularly when so many players are still floating between 25-50 games by that age.

You get a better understanding of them and their potential in the years 23-24, while 25 resonates with me as not quite being youthful any more, so under 25 is it was.

23 is an odd cut off to me, particularly when so many players are still floating between 25-50 games by that age.

You get a better understanding of them and their potential in the years 23-24, while 25 resonates with me as not quite being youthful any more, so under 25 is it was.
Interesting way of looking at it.

18 months the north and hawthorn had a cut-off of 23-24, so it included players like simpkin and Scrimshaw but not Doedee or Milera.

Given Milera's injuries we know less about his ceiling than we do Scrimshaw's

But now it has been pushed back to 25 again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol it's obvious you know nothing about him. His injuries have been holding him back
Yeah, it’s obvious I know nothing about him because he’s done nothing at senior level, which is exactly the point.

18 months the north and hawthorn had a cut-off of 23-24, so it included players like simpkin and Scrimshaw but not Doedee or Milera.

Not a fan of arbitrary measures as far as cut offs go. Everyone should add the necessary context and nuance to tell the full story.

In this instance, I don't think it matters much if 24 or 23 was used - certainly not to favour Hawthorn. For the season in question, the only player who was 24 and should be removed is Blake Hardwick. Everyone else that counted for Hawthorn was 23 or under for most or all of the season.

Milera got dropped this year, ceiling cant be too high

Milera got dropped this year, ceiling cant be too high
lol try reading next time, and you'll understand the situation. As I already said he's been injured a lot lately. He's had a couple of long term injuries and missed 2 years full years of footy.

I don't expect players to play their best football in their first season back.

Last edited:
lol try using your brain next time, and you'll understand the situation. As I already said he's been injured a lot lately. He's had a couple of long term injuries and missed 2 years full years of footy.

I don't expect players to play their best football in their first season back.
Easy to say someone's ceiling is higher than another player if he has missed that much footy and not shown anything

Its just a baseless claim

Easy to say someone's ceiling is higher than another player if he has missed that much footy and not shown anything

Its just a baseless claim
lol you didn't again. Read ffs.
i didn't say his ceiling was higher but that it was more unknown.

Saying someone doesn't have a high ceiling when you haven't seen them play is also a baseless claim.

lol you didn't again. Read ffs.
i didn't say his ceiling was higher but that it was more unknown.

Saying someone doesn't have a high ceiling when you haven't seen them play is also a baseless claim.
Milera lolled good when he was younger, but he’s missed a lot of footy and wasn’t spectacular in 2022. He’s also now 25 years old, not exactly young.

Players of note, pick your cut of day accordingly.....

26:
Adl: Keays, Doedee, Dawson
Haw: Hardwick
Nrth: N/A

25:
Adl: Milera
Haw: N/A
Nrth: McKay, Simpkin, Logue

24:
Adl: N/A
Haw: Scrimshaw, Meek, Lewis, Reeves, Morrison, Worpel
Nrth: Larkey, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Xerri

26:

25:

24:
I may be bias but I'd take our list out of this age group...

However 23 and unders I'd have the other two teams ahead.

26:

25:

24: