Prediction Giants BF Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the GWS Mock Draft order for the GWS Board Mock Draft.

Reminder, we'll select 3 rounds - as we get close to that (after a number of bids & matches, the last 'third round pick' will come earlier, I'll assess where we actually finish.

Reminder to tag me into any trades, bids & matches, and I will update the draft order after any bid matches (with an explanation of the matching cost & impact on draft order - based on my imperfect understanding of the AFL rules!). Also tag the next poster once you've selected your player.

I will pin this post & also update selected players as I can.

RoundPickPicks after 2022 TradesPointsWith DiscountPlayer selected
Round 11Brisbane30002400Will Ashcroft (bid match)
Round 12GWS Giants25172014Harry Sheezel
Round 13North Melbourne22341787George Wardlaw
Round 14North Melbourne20341627Aaron Cadman
Round 15Essendon18781502Elijah Tsatas
Round 16Gold Coast Suns17511401Reuben Ginbey
Round 17Hawthorn16441315Mattes Phillipou
Round 18Geelong Cats15511241Jhye Clark
Round 19West Coast Eagles14691175Cameron Mackenzie
Round 110St Kilda13951116Bailey Humphrey
Round 111Carlton13291063Jedd Busslinger
Round 112Western Bulldogs12681014Oliver Hollands
Round 113West Coast Eagles1212970Ed Allan
Round 114Melbourne1161929Matthew Jefferson
Round 115Sydney Swans1112890Lachlan Cowan
Round 116GWS Giants1067854Jacob Konstanty
Round 117Brisbane1025820Jaspa Fletcher (bid match)
Round 118Essendon985788Josh Weddle
Round 219Sydney Swans948751Brayden George
Round 220GWS Giants912715Charlie Clarke
Round 221GWS Giants878681Coby Burgiel
Round 222West Coast Eagles845648Elijah Hewett
Round 223Western Bulldogs815618Lewis Hayes
Round 224Essendon785588Alwyn Davey Jr (bid match)
Round 225Collingwood756559Harry Barnett
Round 226North Melbourne729532Olli Hotton
Compensation Pick27Hawthorn703506Henry Hustwaite
Round 228Collingwood677480Isaac Keeler
Round 229West Coast Eagles653456Darcy Jones
Round 230Adelaide629432Max Michalanney (bid match)
Round 231GWS Giants606409Harry Rowston (bid match)
Round 232Collingwood584387Mitch Sybkowski
Round 233St Kilda563366Harry Lemmey
Round 234Carlton542345Max Gruzewski
Compensation Pick35Fremantle522325Sam Gilbey
Round 236St Kilda502305Adam D'Aloia
Round 237Port Adelaide483286Ethan Phillips
Round 238Melbourne465268Jakob Ryan
Round 339Western Bulldogs446249Jaiden Magor
Round 340North Melbourne429232Harvey Gallagher
Round 341Hawthorn412215Billy Dowling
Round 342Sydney Swans395198Jed Hagan
Round 343North Melbourne378181Cooper Harvey
Round 344Fremantle362165Jed Adams
Round 345Gold Coast Suns347150Noah Long
Round 346St Kilda331134James Van Es
Round 347Hawthorn316119Kaleb Smith
Round 348Essendon302105Anthony Munkara (bid match)
Compensation Pick49Hawthorn28790Jaxon Binns
Round 350Carlton27376Casey Voss
Round 351Collingwood25962Blake Drury
Round 352Carlton24649Will Verrall
Round 353Richmond23336Luke Teal
Compensation Pick54GWS Giants22023Pass
Round 355Geelong Cats20710Tom McCallum
Round 356Adelaide1940Cooper Vickery
Round 357Port Adelaide1820Jason Gilbee
Round 358Richmond1700Phoenix Foster
Round 459Geelong Cats1580Pass
Round 460Adelaide1460Tom Scully
Round 461Carlton1350Pass
Round 462Fremantle1230Nick Sadler
Round 463Western Bulldogs1120Pass
Round 464GWS Giants1010Pass
Round 465Sydney Swans900Pass
Round 466Fremantle800Harry Boyd
Round 467West Coast Eagles690Hudson O'Keefe
Round 468Port Adelaide590Ted Clohesy
Round 469St Kilda490Pass
Round 470Carlton390Pass
Round 471Western Bulldogs290Pass
Round 472Richmond190Archie Lovelock (tentative)
Round 473Fremantle90Pass
Round 474Melbourne00Toby McMullin
Round 475Sydney Swans00Pass
Round 476Port Adelaide00Pass
Round 577St Kilda00Pass
Round 578Richmond00Pass
Round 579Melbourne00Pass
Round 580Brisbane00Max Knobel
Round 581Brisbane00Pass
Round 582Brisbane00Pass
Round 583Essendon00Pass

Rioli2Rioli, Orange crush, PMBangers, sydney_gws, Andre the Giant, GWS Goose

Last edited:

Pick 49 - Hawthorn
Jaxon Binns

Forward, Wing
Height: 182cm
Weight: 73kg
D.O.B: 29-10-2004

Profile -
One of the hardest runners in this year’s AFL Draft crop is Jaxon Binns. The Dandenong Stingrays prospect has made a name for himself as a prolific outside midfielder, with the capacity to translate his best traits as a high half-forward.

Having cracked the NAB League for a single game last year, Binns was a key contributor in eight outings as a top-ager in 2022. He also built on his Under 17 representative experience as a core member of the Vic Country Under 18 squad, including in a standout 39-disposal performance against the Allies.

Like many Victorian prospects, the 17-year-old spent a large portion of his season adhering to school football commitments, turning out for APS Football premier Caulfield Grammar. His consistency of production across each level this year has been impressive.

Rationale - Hawks take the local Caulfield Grammar boy to complete a nice suite of selections. This fellow is the battery man that runs all day. He has some flexibility and with a later birthday still some good physical maturing and improvement. I did consider the NGA Vickery or going with a developing ruck but figured I would use the spare list spot on that in the PSD or put another one on the rookie list to grow out.

With this I believe my draft is over! Over to you Orange crush with Carlton and Pick 50.
Very nearly took him last pick I had

He could be a late gem for someone

Thanks guys, especially for dealing with the overlooked Pies' pick.

Just had to come home, cook dinner & deal with garbage night before I could get to the spreadsheet to revamp the order after the Munkara bid match & Carlton-Hawthorn trade. The draft order is now up to date, and the passing clubs (Cats, Giants & Blues) are noted for the remaining picks.

Pick 57 - Port Adelaide - Jason Gillbee

“A genuine utility with enormous running capacity, capable of playing small and tall in each third of the ground.”

STRENGTHS:

• Character
  • Endurance
  • Outside run
  • Versatility
  • Work rate

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Hurt factor
  • Inside game

At the crux of Gillbee's game are his running capacity and versatility. At over 190cm, he models his game on the likes of Nik Cox, presenting as a tall outside player who runs all day, can clunk an overhead mark, and distributes the ball by foot. His endurance is high-level, with the 18-year-old running around the six-minute mark over 2km and using it on-field to offer value in a range of roles. The most obvious fit for him is on a wing, but Gillbee is also an apt intercept/rebound asset off half-back, and a third tall or high half-forward in the attacking half.

Most likely to play as a wingman or dashing defender at the next level, Gillbee has proven himself capable of racking up possessions at an incredibly consistent rate - sitting between 19 and 26 touches per his 10 NAB League games this year. As alluded to, he prefers to go by foot, doing so nearly 65 per cent of the time with Bendigo and 76 per cent with the Allies. He is more an accumulator rather than a burst impact player, usually taking on the kick-in duties and spreading the play from the back half.

Though relatively neat and able to gain good meterage, he is not as damaging a kick as others in the draft pool, even though he takes on those switching and centring options. He went at 59 per cent kick efficiency during his three National Championship games, highlighting the growth he can make in that department. The other area of growth for Gillbee going forward is his contested game. He went at a 77 per cent uncontested rate in Allies colours this year, and is suited to the outside with his light running frame. While trialled on the inside early on, he proved much more effective when carrying the ball in space.

With Port losing a few outside players from their list - Karl Amon, Martin Frederick & Taj Schofield - I feel that Gillbee would be an appropriate addition to the squad. He does have deficiencies, but that's why he's still here at pick 57, so it's now up to him whether he can fix those and become a regular best 22 player.

Over to Rioli2Rioli for Richmond's second pick in this draft.

The next pick will be the final selection for round 3, which is what I envisaged we'd go to. After this, I suspect most clubs are looking to pass, and maybe save a spot for a PSD or PSSP player. Of course, in the real thing, I think a few of these spots will have been removed with some pre-ND rookie upgrades.

Nevertheless, I'm happy if posters wish to keep going - it's easy enough if you think your club wouldn't take a pick to just say "PASS", which I'll assume is for all subsequent picks, and leave anyone who wants to take a pick to do so.

The next pick will be the final selection for round 3, which is what I envisaged we'd go to. After this, I suspect most clubs are looking to pass, and maybe save a spot for a PSD or PSSP player. Of course, in the real thing, I think a few of these spots will have been removed with some pre-ND rookie upgrades.

Nevertheless, I'm happy if posters wish to keep going - it's easy enough if you think your club wouldn't take a pick to just say "PASS", which I'll assume is for all subsequent picks, and leave anyone who wants to take a pick to do so.
I will pass for any more picks for GWS or Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Crows pick #59
Tom Scully
Height: 202cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 02-11-2004

Orange crush
not sure if you are selecting another player for Carlton

OK, with some passes, Fremantle will have the next two picks (on paper, #62 & #66). In the real ND, it is probably debatable whether they take both of these picks, but given they started with only 31 players on the main list, even if they made 2 rookie upgrades, they would take at least one. Anyway, I'm going to take two picks, the second of which - at worst - I think they'd want to take in the rookie draft if not in the main draft.

Pick 62 - Fremantle - Nick Sadler

An onballer with an exciting blend of speed and skill, Sturt’s Nick Sadler is a noted leader who has performed well at a variety of levels this season.”

STRENGTHS:

• Foot skills
  • Speed
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Leadership

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Size
  • Contested ball

This season Sadler proved a class above the Under 18s competition, averaging a well-rounded 24.1 disposals, 4.6 marks, 3.7 tackles, 4.1 clearances and a goal in 10 matches. He showed an ability to accumulate plenty of the ball, averaging over 29 possessions in a five-game span throughout the middle of the year. Sadler is capable of winning his own ball in the contest as an inside midfielder, but can also find it on the outside. A standout trait of his is the speed at which he attacks the ball, then uses to break away from the congestion. He is agile and clean below his knees.

Foot skills are always high on the agenda of recruiting staff, and Sadler possesses one of the most penetrating kicks in the class. He is an efficient ball user, which should allow him to play on the inside or outside at the next level. He divided his time between the first ruck and wing for Tony Bamford's state side. Another attractive strength of Sadler's is his scoreboard impact, which has been a staple of his game throughout his junior career. Sadler kicked three goals against Central District in Round 3 and booted 11 for the season. His ability to score also gives Sadler the flexibility to play off a half-forward flank at senior level.

Fremantle has lost a few players from its midfield, and Sadler's ability to fill several roles: inside, outside and forward of the contest as well as his speed, which is becoming more important in the current game style, gets him the nod here.

Pick 66 - Fremantle - Harry Boyd

With the off season losses of back-up ruck Lloyd Meek, and forward/ruck Rory Lobb, Freo are a little bit light on in the ruck department and definitely looking for one - it just depends whether it will be for the main list or the rookie list. I've opted to draft this guy straight to the main list. He is a pretty decent SANFL ruck, who can also play in defence or forward, but just won the Jack Oatey Medal for BOG in the SANFL GF.

With Freo likely to play both Sean Darcy and new recruit Luke Jackson in first grade, there's just 19 year old Eric Benning as a back up. Recruiting an additional, experienced in the 24-year old Boyd ensures that Freo don't get caught out, and Boyd has significant versatility in being able to play at both ends of the ground also.

4 players for Freo takes them to 35 on the main list, but I will presume that they will have upgraded one of their rookies (either Banfield or Treacy) to the main list, so this takes them to 36 ML + 4 Cat A RL, so I'll leave room for two (maybe) rookie selections or PSSP opportunities and pass on the remaining 2 Freo picks.

Over to PMBangers for West Coast Eagles.

Considering we are so late into the draft that who goes next is probably not that important
I will select the last pick for Richmond and by some chance somebody earlier wants him then all good

Richmond last pick

Archie Lovelock - Mid/Fwd
height: 178cm
weight: 72kg
D.O.B: 19-12-2004

Thats to everybody on the GWS board for allowing me to participate and the OP for Running the mock
Good luck guys hope you do well and Keep Harry Himmelberg injury free for us next year

Last edited:
Considering we are so late into the draft that who goes next is probably not that important
I will select the last pick for Richmond and by some chance somebody earlier wants him then all good

Richmond last pick

Will Verrall - Ruck/Kpf
height: 200cm
weight: 92kg
D.O.B: 11-03-2004

Thats to everybody on the GWS board for allowing me to participate and the OP for Running the mock
Good luck guys hope you do well and Keep Harry Himmelberg injury free for us next year
All good ... except that Will Verrall went to Carlton at #52.

Thanks for playing along, we're pretty cordial when visitors are polite and respectful as you have been, even when your club is stealing our players! Enjoy the draft, as much as you can. Cheers!

All good ... except that Will Verrall went to Carlton at #52.

Thanks for playing along, we're pretty cordial when visitors are polite and respectful as you have been, even when your club is stealing our players! Enjoy the draft, as much as you can. Cheers!
Fixed.

Serves me right for ignoring Carlton ;)

OK, with some passes, Fremantle will have the next two picks (on paper, #62 & #66). In the real ND, it is probably debatable whether they take both of these picks, but given they started with only 31 players on the main list, even if they made 2 rookie upgrades, they would take at least one. Anyway, I'm going to take two picks, the second of which - at worst - I think they'd want to take in the rookie draft if not in the main draft.

Pick 62 - Fremantle - Nick Sadler

An onballer with an exciting blend of speed and skill, Sturt’s Nick Sadler is a noted leader who has performed well at a variety of levels this season.”

STRENGTHS:

• Foot skills
  • Speed
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Leadership

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Size
  • Contested ball

This season Sadler proved a class above the Under 18s competition, averaging a well-rounded 24.1 disposals, 4.6 marks, 3.7 tackles, 4.1 clearances and a goal in 10 matches. He showed an ability to accumulate plenty of the ball, averaging over 29 possessions in a five-game span throughout the middle of the year. Sadler is capable of winning his own ball in the contest as an inside midfielder, but can also find it on the outside. A standout trait of his is the speed at which he attacks the ball, then uses to break away from the congestion. He is agile and clean below his knees.

Foot skills are always high on the agenda of recruiting staff, and Sadler possesses one of the most penetrating kicks in the class. He is an efficient ball user, which should allow him to play on the inside or outside at the next level. He divided his time between the first ruck and wing for Tony Bamford's state side. Another attractive strength of Sadler's is his scoreboard impact, which has been a staple of his game throughout his junior career. Sadler kicked three goals against Central District in Round 3 and booted 11 for the season. His ability to score also gives Sadler the flexibility to play off a half-forward flank at senior level.

Fremantle has lost a few players from its midfield, and Sadler's ability to fill several roles: inside, outside and forward of the contest as well as his speed, which is becoming more important in the current game style, gets him the nod here.

Pick 66 - Fremantle - Harry Boyd

With the off season losses of back-up ruck Lloyd Meek, and forward/ruck Rory Lobb, Freo are a little bit light on in the ruck department and definitely looking for one - it just depends whether it will be for the main list or the rookie list. I've opted to draft this guy straight to the main list. He is a pretty decent SANFL ruck, who can also play in defence or forward, but just won the Jack Oatey Medal for BOG in the SANFL GF.

With Freo likely to play both Sean Darcy and new recruit Luke Jackson in first grade, there's just 19 year old Eric Benning as a back up. Recruiting an additional, experienced in the 24-year old Boyd ensures that Freo don't get caught out, and Boyd has significant versatility in being able to play at both ends of the ground also.

4 players for Freo takes them to 35 on the main list, but I will presume that they will have upgraded one of their rookies (either Banfield or Treacy) to the main list, so this takes them to 36 ML + 4 Cat A RL, so I'll leave room for two (maybe) rookie selections or PSSP opportunities and pass on the remaining 2 Freo picks.

Over to PMBangers for West Coast Eagles.
Pick 67 - Hudson O'Keeffe

Pick 68 - Port Adelaide - Ted Clohesy

I'm unsure if Port would actually take a pick this late, but if they don't then they would need to do a rookie upgrade prior to the draft - which was not an assumption for our GWS BF Board Mock Draft - so I will make a third selection. At this point of the draft, and especially this year, it's a huge lottery, and really the last pick on the list is a bit of a judgement call as to what they'd want. Looking at the Port list, Travis Boak is clearly heading towards the end of his career, and while Port is not bereft of inside midfielders, I've elected to select an inside midfielder who looks to have some long term development available.

STRENGTHS:

• Contested game
  • Tackling
  • Work rate

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Kicking
  • Outside game

A strong inside bull for the Geelong Falcons this season, Ted Clohesy is a Geelong Next-Generation Academy prospect, and played with an incredible level of consistency in the NAB League through 2022. Clohesy dropped below the 20-disposal mark only once in his 10 games, displaying his hunger to win every contest he was around, and make his opposition earn every touch they managed.

Early on, Clohesy rarely left the centre square rotation for the Falcons, but was forced to show his wares up forward in patches for Vic Country, where he continued to show that same determination and hunger at the ball. When he did play more outside at times, Clohesy still played more like an inside midfielder where he would go in and attack the ball fiercely rather than wait for the handball receive, showing his clear strengths, but also where he could develop more.

Anyone else who selects him will be looking to iron out his kicking at this level, and develop his impact away from the contested part of his game. If he can improve those areas to be a bit more polished, then Clohesy already has the determination and aggression to step up.

St Kilda will pass on its last 2 picks, hold at 36 on the main list, and take up to 2 players in the rookie draft.

Over to Melbourne & PMBangers.
I'll take Toby McMullin and then pass the remaining picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back