Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
while its true, most people wont see it that way. They'll see it as one of their biggest blockbusters being removed from Melbourne - And especially if the reverse fixture is your away game.

Most would rather it not be played at all, rather than be played in Adelaide.
When I wrote that, I was thinking that we'd be paying $50+ entry for 1 standalone game with 100% neutral crowds.

That's been alleviated.

WIth members getting in for free, people might come from all over.

Watch the Oval Hotel sell out today for that weekend.

You could be in the hotel restaurant having breakfast overlooking the field while the players for the first Saturday/Sunday games are warming up.

Accommodation is already expensive so would recommended anyone thinking of going to book. Can cancel anytime remember. Also a few hotels already booking out (maybe locking out reservations to pump up the prices also).

Flights at the moment seem relatively cheap so get on quickly. It's difficult to confirm anything without knowing the dates of games though.
Dont even bother with accor hotels tbh.

AFL has a sponsorship with them, so clubs/umpires/officials will probably be set up among the Pullman/Ibis/Crown Plaza/Sofitel/Mantra/Grosvenor etc.

Edit: I just checked, Pullman, Ibis, Mantra already unavailable. So looks like the AFL is using that as their base. Not surprised. They're the 3 closest together in 1 spot (all surrounding Hindmarsh Square)

Last edited:
City Hotels here already getting bookings and enquiries.

Hoping they play games at SANFL grounds such as Norwood/Unley/Glenelg so that people can enjoy a carnival type atmosphere afterwards at the Parade/King Willy/Jetty Rd etc. Then maybe head into city for the party at Pinky Flat.
Festival of Footy. It can work.

If we get a game at Richmond I'll be there.
Send Richmond to Richmond Oval :p

If there's a game at Prospect, I'll probably go too.

Seems SA is pushing really really hard for Norwood Oval, there'll be the 1 game up at the Barossa.

Elizabeth/Noarlunga would probably be rules out due to location - Woudl be bs for the fans to fly to Adelaide for the games, and then find out they need to hop on a train and head 25km out. Would you want to go to a game at Werribee or Waverly?
Alberton redevelopments most likely wouldn't be done ruling that out.

So that leaves Glenelg/Prospect/Richmond/Woodville/Unley/Thebarton*

*Not a current SANFL ground, but it was until 30 years ago

Each have their pros and cons.

But I'd probably rule out Prospect (Posts aren't AFL standard - And North are quite protective over their posts (Traditionally SA has white behind posts, and North are red and white, so are the only SANFL club still keeping the traditional red posts. PLUS - The main stand is in a position that the away coaches box is inside the southern 50m arc)

Unley is also in a redevelopment at the moment. It's cutting access to the entire South/West quadrant of the ground. If it's complete, this would be a decent option. But no gaurantees it would be. Yes, they're using it for AFLw, but I'm willing to bet they'd get more to an AFL game there (even if neutral).

Leaves it as Glenelg/Richmond/Woodville/Thebarton for that final game.

Woodville is an absolute b*tch to get to on public transport - 500m walk from ANZAC highway? Probably gonna be hated by the publicwith nothing near by.

So Richmond/Glenelg/Thebby the 3 best options.

Glenelg would be the best without a doubt FROM A FAN PERSPECTIVE. Close to Jetty Rd, can do something there similar to The Parade with a game at Norwood Oval. But ever since that storm took out the 2nd stand a decade or so ago. They've used temporary changerooms in the pocket. Plus, the coaches boxes are in the pocket too, similar to Prospect. Wouldn't be good for players/officials.

So Richmond/Thebby probably the best options from an AFL perspective for the final game.
Richmond's 3km West-South-West, Thebby's 3.3km West-North-West
Richmond's Straddling the edge of an industrial zone, so plenty of weekend parking available. Thebby has a huge park next door that is used for parking as is on matchday for Ammos Finals.
Richmond has the edge on team/coaches facilities. Thebby has the edge on fan facilities (Just without the WAFC to lean on for volunteers)

I'd probably put it down to whether whatever works at RIchmond are done (I remember going to AFL last year at AO then SANFL at night at Richmond Oval, and the whole outer was roped off) If they are. I'd do it at Richmond. If it isn't. I'd do it at Thebby.

Can't see how they are going to schedule who plays who.

Who gets to have their otherwise interstate clash played on neutral grounds instead and is say for example Brisbane going to be happy playing Geelong at the Adelaide Oval instead of the Gabba because 7 teams are going to be giving up a potential home clash against someone and have it played in Adelaide.

And 7 teams are going to as happy as pigs in s**t having a potential away trip to someone's home ground played on neutral grounds. No one is playing 3 times in the year so 7 teams are giving up potential home games against someone and going neutral.

One things for sure, 16 sets of fans are going to be pissed off, either with who they play or who another teams gets to play in Adelaide.

I'd be happy for Freo to play North in our extra match up in some remote SA match prior to later playing North in Perth.

I don't want to play Geelong in remote SA and then Geelong in Geelong later in the year.
Will be the only time 16 clubs are all clamouring to add a fixture request to play North/Gc/GWS

Can't see how they are going to schedule who plays who.

Who gets to have their otherwise interstate clash played on neutral grounds instead and is say for example Brisbane going to be happy playing Geelong at the Adelaide Oval instead of the Gabba because 7 teams are going to be giving up a potential home clash against someone and have it played in Adelaide.

And 7 teams are going to as happy as pigs in s**t having a potential away trip to someone's home ground played on neutral grounds. No one is playing 3 times in the year so 7 teams are giving up potential home games against someone and going neutral.

One things for sure, 16 sets of fans are going to be pissed off, either with who they play or who another teams gets to play in Adelaide.
They're extra, neutral games. None of this is relevant.

Let's say that in a regular 22 game season Tigers were scheduled to play double up match ups of Geelong, Collingwood (top 6), Carlton, Western Bulldogs (middle 6) West Coast (bottom 6). None of that changes. You get this as a home fixture and an away fixture. They are just going to take one of the games normally scheduled once - let's say its Richmond vs Melbourne - and give them a 2nd match up in Adelaide. Neither team has an extra home game nor an extra away game, it doesn't take away from one of Richmond's home games (they still have it), it doesn't take away from Melbourne vs Richmond as a Melbourne home game because that never existed anyway. It's an extra game.

One question worth answering is how they pick the game though. With 6 repeat games, do we get each team playing 2 games against last year's Top 6, 2 games against the Mid 6, 2 against the bottom 6? Seems "fair" but seems to be just adding a lot of dead rubbers - surely you want more opportunities for Top 6 v Top 6 instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Festival of The Boot" will be a great opportunity for all footy fans to converge on the one city to enjoy footy at its local footy grounds in a carnival atmosphere.

Hopefully will also be another rocket for state league clubs to reno/improve their ovals/game day atmosphere, and local councils to fire up their business districts.

Thurs night. Cats pies

Fri night. Port Richmond

Sat lunch at Norwood
North Gold Coast

Southern vale’s or Noarlunga

Hawks Saints

Sat twilight. essendon Freo
Sat night Adel v wce

Sun barossa

Dogs gws

Sun double ao

Arvo
Melbourne Sydney

Twilight
carlton Brisbane

They're extra, neutral games. None of this is relevant.

Let's say that in a regular 22 game season Tigers were scheduled to play double up match ups of Geelong, Collingwood (top 6), Carlton, Western Bulldogs (middle 6) West Coast (bottom 6). None of that changes. You get this as a home fixture and an away fixture. They are just going to take one of the games normally scheduled once - let's say its Richmond vs Melbourne - and give them a 2nd match up in Adelaide. Neither team has an extra home game nor an extra away game, it doesn't take away from one of Richmond's home games (they still have it), it doesn't take away from Melbourne vs Richmond as a Melbourne home game because that never existed anyway. It's an extra game.

One question worth answering is how they pick the game though. With 6 repeat games, do we get each team playing 2 games against last year's Top 6, 2 games against the Mid 6, 2 against the bottom 6? Seems "fair" but seems to be just adding a lot of dead rubbers - surely you want more opportunities for Top 6 v Top 6 instead.
Its about who plays who in regards to an interstate opponent, my mistake i should've made that more clearer.

For example: Fremantle vs Collingwood gets shifted from Perth to Adelaide, it's those sorts of games i'm talking about.

Could you imagine how delighted say Brisbane would be if they got to play the Cats in Adelaide instead of GMHBA Stadium as one of their twice games against them.

Only neutral games will be those involving same state teams.

You can put a line through Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon matching up against each other as these would be reserved for the MCG. You can rule out Hawthorn & Geelong match up as well for the same reason.

Big Vic vs Small Vic club would be played at Adelaide Oval. The rest of the low crowd drawing games will be farmed out to the suburbs.
The burbs, what grounds ?

Its about who plays who in regards to an interstate opponent, my mistake i should've made that more clearer.

For example: Fremantle vs Collingwood gets shifted from Perth to Adelaide, it's those sorts of games i'm talking about.

Could you imagine how delighted say Brisbane would be if they got to play the Cats in Adelaide instead of GMHBA Stadium as one of their twice games against them.

Only neutral games will be those involving same state teams.
But it's still an extra game. I get what you are saying, because you're looking at it through the lens of comparing the double up games with one another, and now there will be one double up match a year that instead of being 1 home game and 1 away game it is instead 1 home or away game and 1 neutral. But it's an extra game so it more accurately needs to be compared against the 1 leg games, if that makes sense. The reality is it isn't really any different to the fact that we already get double ups against some teams, not others (which I do agree is a massive problem for the fixture but it's not a new thing).

He's my best attempt at explaining what I mean:

There were previously 3 scenarios for Fremantle / Collingwood.
1) Fremantle and Collingwood are double up games, they play once at Optus and once at the MCG.
2) Fremantle play Collingwood only once, home at Optus.
3) Fremantle play Collingwood only once, away at the MCG.

With this round being added, if it happens to be fixtured that Fremantle and Collingwood play each other in SA, then scenario 1 most never have existed anyway (well we as fans weren't seeing it) - instead it's an extra game on top of 2) (Fremantle play Collingwood twice, once at home and once in SA) or an extra game on top of 3 (Fremantle play Collingwood twice, once away at the MCG and once in SA).

If Brisbane are fixtured to play Geelong once in Brisbane and then once in SA, then it's basically saying that without this round they would've only played them once, in Brisbane, previously. It doesn't "replace" a game in Geelong, because that was never fixtured. But yeah, I agree, Brisbane would rather that match up than having Geelong in a true Home/Away double up. But Brisbane would also have always preferred a Home/Away double up against North than any sort of double up against Geelong anyway so while the fixture is unequal I don't think it matters, there's always going to be lopsidedness.

"Festival of The Boot" will be a great opportunity for all footy fans to converge on the one city to enjoy footy at its local footy grounds in a carnival atmosphere.

Hopefully will also be another rocket for state league clubs to reno/improve their ovals/game day atmosphere, and local councils to fire up their business districts.

Who can afford to spend money on the basis of a one of event, even spend the taxpayers dollar.

If Brisbane are fixtured to play Geelong once in Brisbane and then once in SA, then it's basically saying that without this round they would've only played them once, in Brisbane, previously. It doesn't "replace" a game in Geelong, because that was never fixtured. But yeah, I agree, Brisbane would rather that match up than having Geelong in a true Home/Away double up. But Brisbane would also have always preferred a Home/Away double up against North than any sort of double up against Geelong anyway so while the fixture is unequal I don't think it matters, there's always going to be lopsidedness.

That is really the chicken or the egg argument. You can not know that a game was only a double up because it was an extra game or if it was not a return home game because they were already scheduled to play a second game in Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back