Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, just a Hobart and Northern team.
The rivalry would be insane.

Also, how do I pronounce Joondalup? Might be one of the weirdest words I have seen.
June-duh-luhp,

'Up' is on the end of a shitload of places here because up means 'place' in the local indigenous language - pretty sure I could rattle of about 30 suburbs/towns over here without trying that end in Up.

June-duh-luhp,

'Up' is on the end of a shitload of places here because up means 'place' in the local indigenous language - pretty sure I could rattle of about 30 suburbs/towns over here without trying that end in Up.
Ah that's some nice background, thank you :)
There's heaps of Tasmanian places named like that also, which I love.

kicking off with a fan base of 1!:)
Yes it's a common stereotype that South doesn't have many fans.

I think South does but they're just dormant due to our club's lack of success for generations.

You'll see panthers roaring when we build a dynasty next year.

merge 2-3 Melbourne teams to form one big one and watch the attendance shoot up. It can be a long process over 5-10 years and the bottom 2 teams on transparent, set-out metrics over the whole time merge.

Who's going to merge 2-3 Melbourne teams? No AFL club has ever merged. One has relocated and one has exited the AFL competition and is now playing in another competition.

I think South does but they're just dormant due to our club's lack of success for generations.

And when our future dynasty does happen, we will party all night like it’s 1964 🥳

Happy Good Vibes GIF by Palm Beach State College

South's last three premierships were all against Port

Nah, just a Hobart and Northern team.
The rivalry would be insane.

Also, how do I pronounce Joondalup? Might be one of the weirdest words I have seen.

Try this one for size "Mandjoogoordap"

Now there's a footy name that will never be forgotten (or pronounced)

Last edited:
Who's going to merge 2-3 Melbourne teams? No AFL club has ever merged. One has relocated and one has exited the AFL competition and is now playing in another competition.
If the Fitzroy / North Merger happened instead of Brisbane, do you think the outcome would have been different for the fans of the two clubs? I've never spoken to a Bears supporter who left the game due to it but I probably haven't spoken to a lot of people about it.

If the Fitzroy / North Merger happened instead of Brisbane, do you think the outcome would have been different for the fans of the two clubs?

Perhaps. Both boards of the club actually wanted the merger. Whether there was going to be an actual equal split of identity never really got to be tested.

I've never spoken to a Bears supporter who left the game due to it but I probably haven't spoken to a lot of people about it.

The Brisbane Bears are the same club as the Brisbane Lions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HUH?
The Lions are killing it, out-drawing the broncos on many occasions.
The connection continues on.
Now we are, but that wasn’t the case 5-10 years ago when we were struggling big-time :huh:

A third Perth team wouldn't be the instant success everybody thinks and it'd really prevent Freo from being the big club they could be.

Coming into an already established market was tricky for Freo and would be even trickier for a third team. West Coast has 106k members, Freo only has 50k. A third team would struggle to get 30k. It took a long time for Freo to build that following as well. It'd be a long-term commitment before a third team became successful.

If you're going with a 20th club, might as well plant a flag in a new market like Canberra ;)
Yep, for the balance of population vs team locations there really should be a third Perth/WA team but they all need to be set up around the same time in the late 80's and early 90's.

It wouldn't be impossible to make it work but they'd struggle to muscle in on the existing support for WCE and Fremantle.

the VFL/AFL saw it as the perfect fix for the poorly performing Bears.

the Bears weren't poorly performing - the exact opposite - they did very well for a reserves team.
The VFL still hadn't learnt the lesson, the lesson being, any expansion team has to be set up well from the start.
The AFL attempted to do that with GWS but the clubs simply wouldn't trade players for draft picks.

Rubbish, after the clubs vetoed the North deal the VFL/AFL saw it as the perfect fix for the poorly performing Bears.

I was (and am to this day) a Fitzroy FC shareholder. Your reasoning that "the VFL/AFL killed off Fitzroy in the comp so the Brisbane Bears could have some success" is not correct.

the Bears weren't poorly performing - the exact opposite - they did very well for a reserves team.
The Brisbane Bears made finals in 1995 and 1996 (and were knocked out in the preliminary final in 1996 by eventual premiers North Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back