Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

harper2bastinac

Team Captain
Dec 28, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
juventus
What if the potential draftees could nominate a minimum of 9 clubs they would accept being drafted to, then fixing a minimum 5 year contract for 1st rounders, 4 years for 2nd rounders and 2 or 3 years for the rest. That way, the players can remove up to half of the competition of where they want to play football, but are locked in to a club for a decent period for this privilege.

They can't be traded during this time, they either honour the contract or sit out of football until the original contract length is up.

The more clubs the draftees say no to, the less chance they have of being drafted, so that's their choice.

Then a list of players that they can choose from are given to the clubs prior to the draft. Obviously it would have to be done in advance so clubs can plan their scouting accordingly.

Players from each respective state can't rule out playing for a team in their state, so clubs will always have someone to choose from. And pick 1, 2,3 can pick anyone, regardless of nominations and these players are paid extra for this.
What happens when that player vocally says he wants to go to one of those 9 clubs, then changes his whole attitude towards the club after 6 games and an under the table deal with one of those other 8 clubs which were nowhere near able to pick them up the year before draft wise, and only wants to go to that team despite there being another team in that state, before walking out after one year?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
What if the potential draftees could nominate a minimum of 9 clubs they would accept being drafted to, then fixing a minimum 5 year contract for 1st rounders, 4 years for 2nd rounders and 2 or 3 years for the rest. That way, the players can remove up to half of the competition of where they want to play football, but are locked in to a club for a decent period for this privilege.
Then you would blow apart the whole point of the draft system. Currently, it's a measure of equalisation, where the worst teams get the best talent. I can assure you that no top 20 pick - i.e. one of the players guaranteed to get picked - would nominate North Melbourne this year. This would immediately rule NM out of any non-Vic players.

Same goes with Gold Coast and GWS unless the kid is from Sydney/Brisbane/GC.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What happens when that player vocally says he wants to go to one of those 9 clubs, then changes his whole attitude towards the club after 6 games and an under the table deal with one of those other 8 clubs which were nowhere near able to pick them up the year before draft wise, and only wants to go to that team despite there being another team in that state, before walking out after one year?

North supporters can't or won't see fault with their own club. Maybe if North upheld their end of the bargain he wouldn't have done what was necessary to get out.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

North supporters can't or won't see fault with their own club. Maybe if North upheld their end of the bargain he wouldn't have done what was necessary to get out.
Frankly, both of you are being petty and ridiculous.

JHF was within his rights to barter with just one club, as does pretty much every single player since the Chris Judd deal. It's been fifteen years since an in-demand footballer just said "get me to my home state, I don't care which team" and to hold on to those days is like trying to pay for groceries by cheque. It's completely irrelevant to 2022.

As for North Melbourne not being in good shape: der, of course they aren't in good shape. They finished last in an 18 team competition - that doesn't happen without bad management, a poor list and bad luck. That's part of being the number one pick - you go to the worst team, whether it be Essendon after the drug scandal, the expansion sides when they were babes in the woods, Carlton recovering from the Salary Cap cheating or Melbourne following the tanking effort. North's "end of the bargain" isn't to immediately provide a great environment; we know they're a poor AFL environment at the moment, because they finished last of 18 teams.

IMO one of the reasons why Hodge, Goddard and Cooney all did so well is because they were not drafted to the worst team in the comp at the time.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Frankly, both of you are being petty and ridiculous.

JHF was within his rights to barter with just one club, as does pretty much every single player since the Chris Judd deal. It's been fifteen years since an in-demand footballer just said "get me to my home state, I don't care which team" and to hold on to those days is like trying to pay for groceries by cheque. It's completely irrelevant to 2022.

As for North Melbourne not being in good shape: der, of course they aren't in good shape. They finished last in an 18 team competition - that doesn't happen without bad management, a poor list and bad luck. That's part of being the number one pick - you go to the worst team, whether it be Essendon after the drug scandal, the expansion sides when they were babes in the woods, Carlton recovering from the Salary Cap cheating or Melbourne following the tanking effort. North's "end of the bargain" isn't to immediately provide a great environment; we know they're a poor AFL environment at the moment, because they finished last of 18 teams.

IMO one of the reasons why Hodge, Goddard and Cooney all did so well is because they were not drafted to the worst team in the comp at the time.

Even a team that finishes last should still be able to fulfill basic levels of competency in coaching, administration and match day morale. North couldn't even do that so didn't live up to their end of the bargain.

Take west coast for example, at least they weren't falling apart at the seams within every department. No way JHF would've left them despite a similar win loss record.

harper2bastinac

Team Captain
Dec 28, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
juventus
Even a team that finishes last should still be able to fulfill basic levels of competency in coaching, administration and match day morale. North couldn't even do that so didn't live up to their end of the bargain.

Take west coast for example, at least they weren't falling apart at the seams within every department. No way JHF would've left them despite a similar win loss record.
You’re only saying that because he chose your team, would you be saying that if it was the other way around?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

West Coast had strong mitigating circumstances (COVID).

Most spoon teams in an 18 team comp are fairly dysfunctional. Comes with the territory

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Is this Sheezel example against the rules? Because I’m pretty sure players can’t tank in the draft.

Eg. Player A would be as good as pick 1 but has a secret meeting with a club to purposefully perform worse in the trials to get similar results as somebody who’d be like pick 50 in order to guarantee entry to the club due to him being cheap and said club would look like they ‘overpaid’.

I dunno what the exact consequences are but I’m assuming it would be severe.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Surely you’d want to be pick one because don’t you get 10 grand immediately?

That’s nothing to these guys. They’d probably pay $10k not to go to North.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Is this Sheezel example against the rules? Because I’m pretty sure players can’t tank in the draft.

Eg. Player A would be as good as pick 1 but has a secret meeting with a club to purposefully perform worse in the trials to get similar results as somebody who’d be like pick 50 in order to guarantee entry to the club due to him being cheap and said club would look like they ‘overpaid’.

I dunno what the exact consequences are but I’m assuming it would be severe.

Action would be taken if:
- There was any collusion between a draftee and a club, or
- A player told a club he would refuse to play for them if drafted.

Up till then, it's not against the rules AFAIK.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Action would be taken if:
  • There was any collusion between a draftee and a club, or
  • A player told a club he would refuse to play for them if drafted.

Up till then, it's not against the rules AFAIK.

Sheezel is technically not breaking the rules then, but he’s pretty much doing the second option. Tbh clubs should just get good and people will come. We were like that for ages until we turned it around.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
That’s nothing to these guys. They’d probably pay $10k not to go to North.

We value guys like Ben Cunnington for their loyalty but face facts if he played for a good club such as yours or mine he’d be getting next to no money in comparison. Is that really loyalty?

I could’ve used Jack Ziebell as my example but he’s half the player of Cunnington.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
We value guys like Ben Cunnington for their loyalty but face facts if he played for a good club such as yours or mine he’d be getting next to no money in comparison. Is that really loyalty?

I could’ve used Jack Ziebell as my example but he’s half the player of Cunnington.

That’s true, some players really are just mercenaries. Don’t feel sorry for them, I like that JHF had the balls to move tbh.

Saab NLAW

All Australian
Aug 27, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
That’s true, some players really are just mercenaries. Don’t feel sorry for them, I like that JHF had the balls to move tbh.

I think there are more career players now than ever before, compared to the types who just love the game.

The guys who have the physical attributes and good at any sport but just want to make some good money

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Sheezel hasn't refused anything. Read the article in the OP again.

Yeah that’s why I said technically he isn’t. But in his mind no doubt he refuses, just can’t say it in public.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Sheezel is technically not breaking the rules then, but he’s pretty much doing the second option. Tbh clubs should just get good and people will come. We were like that for ages until we turned it around.
No you weren't like that. Richmond was poor for thirty years, but never bled players like the interstate sides do when they have a crap run.

I mean, who left Richmond? Ottens, and I guess Deledio but he was pretty much cooked.

This isn't a level playing field. Melbourne clubs - especially ones with big supporter bases - still retain their players when they have a bad run. Interstate ones do not, particularly the smaller interstate clubs (Brisbane, Freo, GWS, GC).

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

West Coast also haven't been at the bottom for as long. Their seasons were not to dissimilar and if you book end it with the end of 2021 they have been abysmal. Throw in the Jack Darling, Jnr Rioli, Nelson, Rotham, Waterman, Dixon, Naish... partying in the height of covid, A lot of west coast supporters wanting to sack Simpson, Their WAFL team getting smashed, The AFL womens team getting smashed a lot went wrong for them. Don't take this as an Eagles bashing...but to claim West Coast as an example was an odd choice. In fact "No way JHF would've left them despite a similar win loss record"... is this like Rioli?

Players leave clubs all the time, but we should not have a predicament where a top end draft pick is able to select where they want to go either during the draft e.g a Bailey Smith, Chad Wingard... or one year after like in the JHF case. If this becomes common place then we need to rework the whole draft system.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
West Coast also haven't been at the bottom for as long. Their seasons were not to dissimilar and if you book end it with the end of 2021 they have been abysmal. Throw in the Jack Darling, Jnr Rioli, Nelson, Rotham, Waterman, Dixon, Naish... partying in the height of covid, A lot of west coast supporters wanting to sack Simpson, Their WAFL team getting smashed, The AFL womens team getting smashed a lot went wrong for them. Don't take this as an Eagles bashing...but to claim West Coast as an example was an odd choice. In fact "No way JHF would've left them despite a similar win loss record"... is this like Rioli?

Players leave clubs all the time, but we should not have a predicament where a top end draft pick is able to select where they want to go either during the draft e.g a Bailey Smith, Chad Wingard... or one year after like in the JHF case. If this becomes common place then we need to rework the whole draft system.

West coast's problem was on field not off it. North's problem for 3 years running is both on field and off field. It's ridiculous. In 2022 they sacked their coach, their recruiting staff walked out and they sacked their CEO. Added to that their new coach is under a racism allegation cloud.

Any other employee with standards can walk away from a rabble so why can't a player.

North supporters say 'no one else left so it couldn't be that bad'. Reality is a lot of ordinary players there have been earning good money, much more that other clubs would pay them, to not produce anything on field.

Last edited:

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
West coast's problem was on field not off it. North's problem for 3 years running is both on field and off field. It's ridiculous. In 2022 they sacked their coach, their recruiting staff walked out and they sacked their CEO. Added to that their new coach is under a racism allegation cloud.

Any other employee with standards can walk away from a rabble so why can't a player.

North supporters say 'no one else left so it couldn't be that bad'. Reality is a lot of ordinary players there have been earning good money, much more that other clubs would pay them, to not produce anything on field.
In fairness, they have to pay players more because they have to meet the salary cap. No one wants to go there so you end up having to play average players well above the market rate.

The player should be able to walk away from a rabble of a club and seek alternative employment if unhappy, it just doesn't have to be at another football team. Just like certain industries have a non-compete clause for a set amount of time.

At the end of the day, the game is bigger than the players. Simply put, it is bad for the equalisation of the game if draft picks are able to facilitate a trade and walk out a year later. How do the teams like North Melbourne find a way to rebuild if their shiny new assets leave a year later, just prolonging the everlasting rebuild? How many years will the fans stick around if they aren't even close to a legitimate chance of a flag? They have literally won 9 games in three years, to put it into context when Gold Coast were formed and what a disaster this has been they managed to win 11 games in three years.

Saltiga

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How do the teams like North Melbourne find a way to rebuild if their shiny new assets leave a year later, just prolonging the everlasting rebuild?

I think for starters a club needs to get their house in order off the field. There's really no excuse not to. Clubs are limited in the players they can recruit but their only limitation with recruiting off field staff is their ability to sell the club as a desirable employer to work for.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
No you weren't like that. Richmond was poor for thirty years, but never bled players like the interstate sides do when they have a crap run.

I mean, who left Richmond? Ottens, and I guess Deledio but he was pretty much cooked.

This isn't a level playing field. Melbourne clubs - especially ones with big supporter bases - still retain their players when they have a bad run. Interstate ones do not, particularly the smaller interstate clubs (Brisbane, Freo, GWS, GC).

So which high profile players wanted to come to Richmond when we were s**t? We were apparently meant to get plugger but the dick pulled out at the last minute.

Cousins doesn’t count.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
So which high profile players wanted to come to Richmond when we were s**t? We were apparently meant to get plugger but the dick pulled out at the last minute.

Cousins doesn’t count.

Well documented that the AFL intervened at the last minute and facilitated his move to the Swans.

Similar deal was done with Judd.

Back