Expansion Joondalup Falcons in the AFL?

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you include the entire population of SA 1.8 million you'll have 600k per club, which is around the same as the clubs here.

Besides my obvious bias towards South Adelaide as they're my team, a logical reason for this would be that South Adelaide is somewhat geographically split from Adelaide (kinda reminds me of Geelong in a way) and is represented by just three local government areas - Onkaparinga being the biggest with a population that's creeping on 200k+. If you include the inner southern suburbs (SAFC's old homeland) then this number looks more like 400k

So you have that and include all of the southern Fleurie peninsular, Mt Gambier, Kangaroo Islands and divide some of the NGAs up, you'll cover around the same population as a Vic club by 2030ish.

SAFC already owns the Netball, Volleyball clubs under the same business, and the NPL and NBL1 clubs share the same name and Panther brand. We definitely have some greater expansion ambitions.

By mid 2030's, we'd have the population and with a bit of investor help, the money to be the best candidate as the 3rd SA team.

That's the same for three teams, four teams for SA would be absolute overkill.

But I still maintain the Victorian model isn't one to emulate. Just because they have one team per 600k doesn't mean we should weaken existing teams in SA to reach the same stat.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
St Helens R.F.C. | Adelaide T'Birds
That's the same for three teams, four teams for SA would be absolute overkill.

But I still maintain the Victorian model isn't one to emulate. Just because they have one team per 600k doesn't mean we should weaken existing teams in SA to reach the same stat.
You want the Power to have more room to grow ⚡

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Didn’t South Melbourne get the Swans nickname because there were so many Western Australian players in their team, or something like that.
In the 30s apparently. Bassendean Oval is a kick away from the Swan River. Sydney can GAGF.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
It's funny but soon when you say the 30s it'll mean the 2030s. I think I'm getting old.
I'll be in my 30s in the 30s so hopefully I'll still have enough youth left to enjoy barracking for South Adelaide when they join the AFL.

Compromise

South Adelaide Panthers wearing Sturt jumpers
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I'll be in my 30s in the 30s so hopefully I'll still have enough youth left to enjoy barracking for South Adelaide when they join the AFL.
Me too, hopefully we will have enough time to see our local club win both a SANFL & AFL premiership :love:

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
But I still maintain the Victorian model isn't one to emulate.

Yes.
Just because they have one team per 600k

They don't because of just as W.A. and S.A. have unequal distribution
and any new teams would suffer greatly from unequal distribution.
doesn't mean we should weaken existing teams in SA to reach the same stat.

You're not going to weaken existing teams very much - not by fans but maybe the sponsorship pool.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It has to be Perth because

1) Sponsorship will be big
2) Alot of neutral and new generation are attracted to it
3) I have the belief it will surpass Fremantle easy. Nobody likes them

The introduction of Perth team will most likely position them as #2 or neck and neck with WCE.

WCE Identity will be the first WA team.
Perth Identity would be there value, sponsorship worth, and their ability to attract and pick out any WA players
Fremantle identity is hippies

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
It has to be Perth because

1) Sponsorship will be big
2) Alot of neutral and new generation are attracted to it
3) I have the belief it will surpass Fremantle easy. Nobody likes them

The introduction of Perth team will most likely position them as #2 or neck and neck with WCE.

WCE Identity will be the first WA team.
Perth Identity would be there value, sponsorship worth, and their ability to attract and pick out any WA players
Fremantle identity is hippies
You troll 😂

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Move a broken ass club from Melbourne..For example the kangaroos.
Merge with an existing wafl team..Perth.
The Perth Kangas.
Will incorporate existing Perth fans, kanga fans while tapping into the Perth location.
Where the * is west coast anyway. West coast of timor ??

Instant supporter base.
Basil will be on it.
Dont thank me just get it done afl..

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Move a broken ass club from Melbourne..For example the kangaroos.
Merge with an existing wafl team..Perth.
The Perth Kangas.
Will incorporate existing Perth fans, kanga fans while tapping into the Perth location.
Where the * is west coast anyway. West coast of timor ??

Instant supporter base.
Basil will be on it.
Dont thank me just get it done afl..

It's always a bit contraversial to move an existing club to an Aussie Rules heartland state, but then again is that worse than the corporate mcdonalds franchise clubs like West Coast?

I've always believed that the comp should have maintained its suburban roots and the best clubs in the respective state leagues should have been propelled to the AFL through investment, instead of the corporate franchises.

Having defacto state teams like Eagles and Crows mixed with suburban teams makes no sense. You got a club representing the entire West Coast but then you have a club representing a small port city within that coast? Even worse in regards to SA as Port Adelaide is merely a suburb of Adelaide, which is supposed to be represented by the Adelaide Football Club...

So make it happen, up the Perth Kangaroos, you'll have all the initial supporter base who decide to stay with the club, North Melbourne supporters in WA and the new/current fans looking for a new team.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
It's always a bit contraversial to move an existing club to an Aussie Rules heartland state, but then again is that worse than the corporate mcdonalds franchise clubs like West Coast?

I've always believed that the comp should have maintained its suburban roots and the best clubs in the respective state leagues should have been propelled to the AFL through investment, instead of the corporate franchises.

Having defacto state teams like Eagles and Crows mixed with suburban teams makes no sense. You got a club representing the entire West Coast but then you have a club representing a small port city within that coast? Even worse in regards to SA as Port Adelaide is merely a suburb of Adelaide, which is supposed to be represented by the Adelaide Football Club...

So make it happen, up the Perth Kangaroos, you'll have all the initial supporter base who decide to stay with the club, North Melbourne supporters in WA and the new/current fans looking for a new team.

Being that the AFL like to have teams in the same state jumper clash for colours, kangaroos to Perth makes sense.

Back