gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
The thing I have against expansion is that every time a new team pops up outside Victoria it makes things harder for non-Victorian clubs.

1. Victoria dominates where footballers are from, it's the dominant state for supplying talent to the AFL.
2. There are only x amount of players willing to play outside of Victoria and who will stay outside of Victoria and not go home.
3. You add another team like Tasmania or another two such as Joondalup and that x amount has to be spread over even more team, which dilutes the talent outside of vic.

It just appears to me that since the AFL created GWS and GCS that teams outside of Vic have just dropped off a little. Players tend to go home and a lot of that involves players wanting to go home to Victoria.

I'm just wondering whether it puts extra pressure on clubs to find players who won't leave.

I understand that the long term idea is to give people a team and keep the game strong.

I also have questions about that many teams diluting the talent in the competition and weakening the spectacle that is AFL football.

Then there is the issue of rebuilding teams taking a long time to rebuild. If you are bottom before GCS and GWS you get picks 1, 17 and so on. Now it's pick 1, 19 and so on, then it will be pick 1, 20 or 21 and so on. So you may just slightly be bringing in less quality as a team desperate to bring in significant numbers of good players. Or does it even out?

There is plenty of for and against with expanding the AFL.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’d love to see the professional development of the state leagues lead to a promotion-relegation system.

Bottom 4 relegated and WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL (bring it back eventually), and VFL champions promoted.

But I think even in 100 years time when none of us are around you still wouldn’t have the state leagues go pro because all the eyes and the money and sponsorship and investment are fixed on the AFL.

As the AFL has gotten bigger it appears as if the state leagues are fading rather than strengthening. A shame.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
St Helens R.F.C. | Adelaide T'Birds
I’d love to see the professional development of the state leagues lead to a promotion-relegation system.

Bottom 4 relegated and WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL (bring it back eventually), and VFL champions promoted.

But I think even in 100 years time when none of us are around you still wouldn’t have the state leagues go pro because all the eyes and the money and sponsorship and investment are fixed on the AFL.

As the AFL has gotten bigger it appears as if the state leagues are fading rather than strengthening. A shame.

Man it would be a dream to see the SANFL go pro.

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Showing your aboriginal ignorance are we - shame.
Not as bad as "Liverpool", a slimy pool of liver.
Or "Blackpool" - probably originally a cesspool.
Liverpool will always be my first footy club :heart:

I'm all for Joondalup Falcs to be in the comp, but I reckon Perth Quokkas sounds better and the kiddies would love that mascot = huge sales.

After Canberra, have Joondalup, Newy, Adelaide3 and another expansion region join the comp.

Showing your aboriginal ignorance are we - shame.

i genuinely have no idea what you're going on about

May 24, 2022
Thailand
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Joondalup means lake that glistens.

#ScouseNotEnglish
Premier League Football GIF by Liverpool FC

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing I have against expansion is that every time a new team pops up outside Victoria it makes things harder for non-Victorian clubs.

1. Victoria dominates where footballers are from, it's the dominant state for supplying talent to the AFL.
2. There are only x amount of players willing to play outside of Victoria and who will stay outside of Victoria and not go home.
3. You add another team like Tasmania or another two such as Joondalup and that x amount has to be spread over even more team, which dilutes the talent outside of vic.

It just appears to me that since the AFL created GWS and GCS that teams outside of Vic have just dropped off a little. Players tend to go home and a lot of that involves players wanting to go home to Victoria.

I'm just wondering whether it puts extra pressure on clubs to find players who won't leave.

I understand that the long term idea is to give people a team and keep the game strong.

I also have questions about that many teams diluting the talent in the competition and weakening the spectacle that is AFL football.

Then there is the issue of rebuilding teams taking a long time to rebuild. If you are bottom before GCS and GWS you get picks 1, 17 and so on. Now it's pick 1, 19 and so on, then it will be pick 1, 20 or 21 and so on. So you may just slightly be bringing in less quality as a team desperate to bring in significant numbers of good players. Or does it even out?

There is plenty of for and against with expanding the AFL.
It does, Freo's only notable top draftees of recent times that were Vic Metro were Brayshaw and Cerra (who has left).

Everyone else from Victoria has been Vic Country / they came from another interstate team / or a mature age player.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
It does, Freo's only notable top draftees of recent times that were Vic Metro were Brayshaw and Cerra (who has left).

Everyone else from Victoria has been Vic Country / they came from another interstate team / or a mature age player.

Yep, too many teams outside vic dilutes the talent pool these teams have to pick from. No one is taking any notice of this but since GWS/GCS have come in it's diluted the talent pool for non-vic teams and given Vic powerhouse clubs a mature age recruitment field.

Adding more non-vic teams won't be good for non-vic clubs.

May 11, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep, too many teams outside vic dilutes the talent pool these teams have to pick from. No one is taking any notice of this but since GWS/GCS have come in it's diluted the talent pool for non-vic teams and given Vic powerhouse clubs a mature age recruitment field.

Adding more non-vic teams won't be good for non-vic clubs.
Eh it's swings and roundabouts tbh, Cerra gone has netted us Erasmus and Amiss who will be good players for Freo and are local (in the long run, Freo will love this trade purely because if kept Cerra he'd be kicking beautiful daisy cutter bullets to no one).

If they want more teams - the lower teams should just get to pick more younger players first / get more draft picks / bottom 4 always get priority picks.

Back