Opinion Major changes for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Saints need a DeGoey. In fact every team needs a DeGoey. Risky with his off field behaviour, but he's a jet on the field. Saints were invisible this offseason. Clearly something was going on behind the scenes but their list improves significantly with DeGoey on their list. Their mids are more than capable of getting the footy however struggle to hit the scoreboard. Having a mid who can kick multiple goals and win his won ball would improve them by 3-4 goals a game IMO. Yes, a risk, but IMO they should have chased harder knowing they weren't doing anything else this offseason.
Yeah, he makes them better, he's a great player but I don't think the mix is right. They've got hardly any good young kids. They need to rebuild primarily through the draft. DeGoey would be the last player in the afl you'd want in a rebuilding club as he sets terrible standards and is basically just a tool.

I think getting DeGoey on big coin would've been a colossal mistake. So he brings them from 10th to 8th?

fair call. When I heard that StKilda were chasing De Goey it really made me question who was making those sort of decisions. And no doubt, Ratten would've been a big player in that.
They need to recruit more types In the mold of Lenny Hayes's and Robert Harvey's attitudes.
De Goey is just about the last player StKilda would need. Same thing when they picked up Hannebery and Bradley Hill.
Spot on imo, dst.

Culture, Culture, and more Culture, is what they need over at the Sainters.
They IMO, have rebuilt that talented but losing culture. near enough.

One flag for their entirety. Not good enough.

I’m a bit nervous the last 14 games of 2022 is an indicator of where we are at and aside from Grundy we haven’t really upgraded any positions. Will say though coming into 2021 I couldn’t see where the improvement would come from so hopefully I’m wrong again. If we bomb it to Gawn in the pocket round 1 and Gus is on the ball I’m going to lose my s**t.

I’m a bit nervous the last 14 games of 2022 is an indicator of where we are at and aside from Grundy we haven’t really upgraded any positions. Will say though coming into 2021 I couldn’t see where the improvement would come from so hopefully I’m wrong again. If we bomb it to Gawn in the pocket round 1 and Gus is on the ball I’m going to lose my s**t.
Goody just decided to back in the same blokes minus Bowey from the flag. I mean I get it but when players were struggling with fitness and form he wouldn’t budge. I don’t think he’d make the same mistake again. Expect some new faces to push their case.

I mean Hunter is an upgrade on the wing (hunt) imo

I'm pretty optimistic about next year, even though it seems we are going down the same path just with Grundy instead of Jackson, I think our style will be different next year. However the optimism may dissipate quickly if we see the same bomb long to the pocket game plan.

If we bomb it to Gawn in the pocket round 1 and Gus is on the ball I’m going to lose my s**t.

Will be right there with you. The thing is often change to the game plan takes time for players to adjust. Wouldnt surprise me if the players continue doing what they did for all of 2022 after it was drilled into them so heavily, even if Goody has tried tinkering with things.

Will be right there with you. The thing is often change to the game plan takes time for players to adjust. Wouldnt surprise me if the players continue doing what they did for all of 2022 after it was drilled into them so heavily, even if Goody has tried tinkering with things.
The bombing long to the pocket is a symptom of other issues though. We only get to that point because of the way other teams defended us, making our ball movement an absolute slog because it didn't really matter if we got the ball that high up the ground, our forwardline was just too easy to defend against once it got crowded. Unless we start moving the ball with a bit more dare from the backline we aren't going to fix our issues. If we can do that it will immediately give Fritsch and Kozzy way more space to work with and we'll look more dangerous.

Last edited:
The bombing long to the pocket is a symptom of other issues though. We only get to that point because of the way other teams defended us, making our ball movement an absolute slog because it didn't really matter if we got the ball that high up the ground, our forwardline was just too easy to defend against once it got crowded. Unless we start moving the ball with a bit more dare from the backline we aren't going to fix our issues. If we can do that it will immediately give Fritsch and Kozzy way more space to work with and we'll look more dangerous.

We definitely need to work on having multiple avenues to move the ball quickly and cleanly out of the backline. Our whole plan last year seemed to be get it to Langdon on the overlap, we were hopeless once that got shut down.

Bowey to half back is an obvious one to make us better, but we need to do some structural work and maybe even look to take a draftee with a lot of dash to improve us in that area.

We definitely need to work on having multiple avenues to move the ball quickly and cleanly out of the backline. Our whole plan last year seemed to be get it to Langdon on the overlap, we were hopeless once that got shut down.

Bowey to half back is an obvious one to make us better, but we need to do some structural work and maybe even look to take a draftee with a lot of dash to improve us in that area.
Pretty much every team worked out Jordon was a stat padder who would do nothing with the football but completely slow us down so he was allowed to take easy marks at half back while Langdon was covered. Hunter will be a good replacement for him.

Pretty much every team worked out Jordon was a stat padder who would do nothing with the football but completely slow us down so he was allowed to take easy marks at half back while Langdon was covered. Hunter will be a good replacement for him.

Don't quite agree with that part. He was highly effective when he was allowed to get a touch on half back and then sprint forward and get over the top again. Once teams worked out to let him have the one on half back but lock down on him when he ran forward he couldn't get involved.

Hunter won't replace him, he'll go to the other wing and hopefully get a heap of it so the oppo have to choose which winger they want to tag.

Don't quite agree with that part. He was highly effective when he was allowed to get a touch on half back and then sprint forward and get over the top again. Once teams worked out to let him have the one on half back but lock down on him when he ran forward he couldn't get involved.

Hunter won't replace him, he'll go to the other wing and hopefully get a heap of it so the oppo have to choose which winger they want to tag.
I'm talking about Hunter replacing Jordon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope youre right but im not so sure. I reckon the midfield sees Gawn forward and instinctually thinks bomb it long coz hes tall and there.

I hope youre right but im not so sure. I reckon the midfield sees Gawn forward and instinctually thinks bomb it long coz hes tall and there.
We bomb it long all the way up the ground, and we usually get away with it all the way until we're about 70ish metres from goal because the opposition is spread more. The only times we didn't was when the opposition let us move the ball the way we liked to. Like the Freo game late in the year where our forward entries were much better.

We bomb it long all the way up the ground, and we usually get away with it all the way until we're about 70ish metres from goal because the opposition is spread more. The only times we didn't was when the opposition let us move the ball the way we liked to. Like the Freo game late in the year where our forward entries were much better.

Cant remember Gawn being down there much in that Freo game. Maybe he was and my memory is ****ed but it seemed like we hit up smaller players on the counter attack.

Yup, the two games we looked the best where against Brisbane and not to be all danster but I remember saying at the time that Brisbane was a false economy, we mauled them in clearances which allowed us to go in even numbers and then when we had it in defence Brisbane pressed right up which ment when we won a contest on the HBF which we did alot against them we had Fritsch Melk and Pickett in miles of space.

Teams like Collingwood and Sydney who would stay deep and attack from the backline troubled us

Yup, the two games we looked the best where against Brisbane and not to be all danster but I remember saying at the time that Brisbane was a false economy, we mauled them in clearances which allowed us to go in even numbers and then when we had it in defence Brisbane pressed right up which ment when we won a contest on the HBF which we did alot against them we had Fritsch Melk and Pickett in miles of space.

Teams like Collingwood and Sydney who would stay deep and attack from the backline troubled us
Yeah if we can kill teams transitioning against us everything else will look better as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back