Draft Watcher SMYTHE - 2022 DRAFT THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Notice Foster misses the draft, would he be a possible for us if Freo matched for Scaife?

Also are there any bigger bodied midfielders, not necessarily inside mids, that are worth taking with the Tigers last pick if Teal wasn't there?
I had foster at collingwood just before richmonds pick but traded that pick to wce, foster would be that pick (for me) if scaife is (and probably would be) matched by freo or Jovan Petric....do they also try to steal Jerome Lawrence maybe....
Jake Walker would be a good one, Connor Macdonald if he doesn't get taken or Caleb Mitchell would be good also.
Oscar Murdoch would be a good project to try in different positions rather than his usual position in the backline, he is super quick, big and tough with great hands.

For this whole last week I have been going through this (fairly thoroughly) trying to make sure the swaps and pick positions are in order as well as all the players I think will be drafted.
I think they are, and I think the positions are in order, so here is my final mock.

ROUND ONE
1 - GWS - Aaron Cadman
2 - BRIS - Will Ashcroft - Bid matched
haw trade 50, 52, 65 for pick 36
Freo trade 43, 44 for pick 35
Stk trade 47 for 2023 F3rd tied to WB
3 - NTH - George Wardlaw
4 - NTH - Harry Sheezel
5 - ESS - Mattaes Phillipou - I like him here and have for a while, I think ess do too.
6 - GC - Bailey Humphrey
7 - HAW - Elijah Tsatas
8 - GEEL - Jhye Clark
9 - WCE - Ed Allan - should not take the chance he gets taken before their next pick which is a big possibility, talk he may go earlier too, but if Clark falls to Geelong I believe they take him.
10 - STK - Cam McKenzie
11 - CARL - Jedd Busslinger
12 - WB - Rueben Ginbey
13 - BRIS - Jaspa Fletcher - Bid matched
14 - WCE - Oliver Hollands
15 - GWS - Jacob Konstanty
GWS trade 20, 21 to melb for 15 and F2nd - he will not last until their next pick and they want him, so they move up and grab him here whilst moving a pick out into next year, melb trade with 2 players in mind
16 - SYD - Matt Jefferson - making the fwd line of the future look very promising at the swans
17 - GWS - Brayden George
18 - COLL - Jake Ryan - word now has it they like him a lot, and he is a very Collingwood style of player, he won’t make it to their next pick and is best available that suits a need to help out their backline so I have him going here
19 - SYD - Lachlan Cowan
20 - MELB - Oli Hotton - might not make it here but the odds were fairly in that favor given who the teams above might take, so melb get a ripper here

ROUND TWO
21 - MELB - Harry Barnett - melb like him and this is probably how they get him, using that trade from gws
22 - WCE - Elijah Hewett
23 - ADEL - Max Michalanney - Bid matched
Nth trade 40 for 46 and F3rd tied to Coll
24 - WB - Josh Weddle
25 - CARL - Charlie Clarke
Ess trade 25 and F4th tied to syd to Carl for 29, 66 and F2nd - Carl jump up to grab Clarke here and get their wish of getting another player early, he will provide tackling pressure and toughness, and another scoring option
26 - NTH - Lewis Hayes
27 - HAW - Mitch Szybkowski
28 - COLL - Henry Hustwaite
29 - ESS - Alwyn Davey Jnr - Bid matched
30 - WCE - Darcy Jones
31 - COLL - Joe Richards - several clubs want him and someone will have to take him around this mark if they want him more, will be a perfect foil down fwd for the pies and replace Elliot eventually in a smooth transition
32 - STK - Coby Burgiel
33 - FREO - Kaleb Smith - Ethan Phillips is a chance here, but I don’t think Jed Adams will go in the ND leaving him to get listed by Freo anyway in the rookie draft so they go for a very attacking, super quick player here with fwd nous as well, he plays with intent and is athletic necessary fits the Fremantle style
34 - STK - Ethan Phillips
STK trade F2nd to gws for 34 - Stk jump up to fill a need and grab the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medalist here
35 - STK - Jaxon Binns - fits a need they have sorely missed out on the wings
36 - PORT - Jaiden Magor
37 - FREO - Tom Scully
38 - HAW - James Van Es
39 - NTH - Isaac Keeler
melb trade 39 to Nth for F3rd - a fwd to help out who is also a dual position fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck, the need help in both areas so they jump up to grab him here and melb trade out to next yr

ROUND THREE
40 - WB - Lachlan Sullivan - gets the nod here from their vfl team especially with Dunkley leaving he fits the bill (also talk recently is that this is their plan)
41 - ESS - Harry Lemmey
Ess trade 55, F3rd to haw for 40 - I think ess will have faith that their new coach and new system can get the best out of lemmey and I don’t see him being able to run the Mitchell system at haw, munkara was an option but I think teams will show good faith towards the players wish to get to ess so haw get a pick next year and choose someone they think will fall to their next pick
42 - GWS - Harry Rowston - Bid matched
43 - SYD - Adam D’Aloia
44 - GC - Hugh Davies - suits a need especially with Rory Thomson retiring
45 - NTH - Cooper Harvey - Bid matched
46 - ESS - Anthony Munkara - Bid Matched - haw make the bid knowing ess will match just to make sure they can get who they want with that last pick which came from ess
47 - HAW - Noah Long - after keeping Nth and ess honest hawks grab Noah here as a mid/Fwd option with plenty of upside
48 - CARL - Max Gruzewski - couldn’t find a spot earlier for him, tried hard, but he suits a need here and I know they like him as a swingman
49 - WCE - Connor McDonald
wce trade F3rd tied to port to Coll for 49
50 - RICH - Jasper Scaife - maybe this is the guy that can fill that fwd need for the future, Freo may match but with Amiss showing huge promises, Taberner and Treacy there as well, and after taking Scully early I have them passing here with Jed Adams on the radar for the rookie draft with possibly another mid
51 - ADEL - Billy Dowling
52 - GEEL - Jed Hagan
53 - ADEL - Harry Cole
54 - PORT - Tom McCallum - suits a need and will free up Allir
55 - HAW - Harvey Gallagher - hawks get their guy here to provide run and carry as well as a scoring option from the Def
56 - RICH - Luke Teal - with a full injury free year should be much higher so a best available here
57 - GEEL - Blake Drury

Now we can all look forward to draft night
(so we can laugh at this attempt :sweatsmile:)
Love this draft for us, except you have us taking five players when, due to some unusual list management, we only have 4 list spots.

Hoping that you're right with our first pick, but I'd need to convince myself that taking Van Es and Gallagher was necessary, considering the plethora of defenders on our list already.

With an oversight of incorrect amount of north picks I will be rejigging the final mock draft and reposting. Apologies
North and Brisbane have an in principle trade agreed to, for draft night.

North will trade pick 40 to Brisbane for pick 55 and a future 3rd round pick.

For this whole last week I have been going through this (fairly thoroughly) trying to make sure the swaps and pick positions are in order as well as all the players I think will be drafted.
I think they are, and I think the positions are in order, so here is my final mock.

ROUND ONE
1 - GWS - Aaron Cadman
2 - BRIS - Will Ashcroft - Bid matched
haw trade 50, 52, 65 for pick 36
Freo trade 43, 44 for pick 35
Stk trade 47 for 2023 F3rd tied to WB
3 - NTH - George Wardlaw
4 - NTH - Harry Sheezel
5 - ESS - Mattaes Phillipou - I like him here and have for a while, I think ess do too.
6 - GC - Bailey Humphrey
7 - HAW - Elijah Tsatas
8 - GEEL - Jhye Clark
9 - WCE - Ed Allan - should not take the chance he gets taken before their next pick which is a big possibility, talk he may go earlier too, but if Clark falls to Geelong I believe they take him.
10 - STK - Cam McKenzie
11 - CARL - Jedd Busslinger
12 - WB - Rueben Ginbey
GWS trade 20, 21 to melb for 15 and F2nd - he will not last until their next pick and they want him, so they move up and grab him here whilst moving a pick out into next year, melb trade with 2 players in mind
16 - SYD - Matt Jefferson - making the fwd line of the future look very promising at the swans
18 - COLL - Jake Ryan - word now has it they like him a lot, and he is a very Collingwood style of player, he won’t make it to their next pick and is best available that suits a need to help out their backline so I have him going here
19 - SYD - Lachlan Cowan
20 - MELB - Oli Hotton - might not make it here but the odds were fairly in that favor given who the teams above might take, so melb get a ripper here

ROUND TWO
21 - MELB - Harry Barnett - melb like him and this is probably how they get him, using that trade from gws
22 - WCE - Elijah Hewett
Nth trade 40 for 46 and F3rd tied to Coll
24 - WB - Josh Weddle
25 - CARL - Charlie Clarke
Ess trade 25 and F4th tied to syd to Carl for 29, 66 and F2nd - Carl jump up to grab Clarke here and get their wish of getting another player early, he will provide tackling pressure and toughness, and another scoring option
26 - NTH - Lewis Hayes
29 - ESS - Alwyn Davey Jnr - Bid matched
30 - WCE - Darcy Jones
31 - COLL - Joe Richards - several clubs want him and someone will have to take him around this mark if they want him more, will be a perfect foil down fwd for the pies and replace Elliot eventually in a smooth transition
32 - STK - Coby Burgiel
33 - FREO - Kaleb Smith - Ethan Phillips is a chance here, but I don’t think Jed Adams will go in the ND leaving him to get listed by Freo anyway in the rookie draft so they go for a very attacking, super quick player here with fwd nous as well, he plays with intent and is athletic necessary fits the Fremantle style
34 - STK - Ethan Phillips
STK trade F2nd to gws for 34 - Stk jump up to fill a need and grab the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medalist here
35 - STK - Jaxon Binns - fits a need they have sorely missed out on the wings
36 - PORT - Jaiden Magor
37 - FREO - Tom Scully
38 - HAW - James Van Es
39 - NTH - Isaac Keeler
melb trade 39 to Nth for F3rd - a fwd to help out who is also a dual position fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck, the need help in both areas so they jump up to grab him here and melb trade out to next yr

ROUND THREE
40 - WB - Lachlan Sullivan - gets the nod here from their vfl team especially with Dunkley leaving he fits the bill (also talk recently is that this is their plan)
41 - ESS - Harry Lemmey
Ess trade 55, F3rd to haw for 40 - I think ess will have faith that their new coach and new system can get the best out of lemmey and I don’t see him being able to run the Mitchell system at haw, munkara was an option but I think teams will show good faith towards the players wish to get to ess so haw get a pick next year and choose someone they think will fall to their next pick
42 - GWS - Harry Rowston - Bid matched
43 - SYD - Adam D’Aloia
44 - GC - Hugh Davies - suits a need especially with Rory Thomson retiring
45 - NTH - Cooper Harvey - Bid matched
46 - ESS - Anthony Munkara - Bid Matched - haw make the bid knowing ess will match just to make sure they can get who they want with that last pick which came from ess
47 - HAW - Noah Long - after keeping Nth and ess honest hawks grab Noah here as a mid/Fwd option with plenty of upside
48 - CARL - Max Gruzewski - couldn’t find a spot earlier for him, tried hard, but he suits a need here and I know they like him as a swingman
49 - WCE - Connor McDonald
wce trade F3rd tied to port to Coll for 49
50 - RICH - Jasper Scaife - maybe this is the guy that can fill that fwd need for the future, Freo may match but with Amiss showing huge promises, Taberner and Treacy there as well, and after taking Scully early I have them passing here with Jed Adams on the radar for the rookie draft with possibly another mid
51 - ADEL - Billy Dowling
52 - GEEL - Jed Hagan
53 - ADEL - Harry Cole
54 - PORT - Tom McCallum - suits a need and will free up Allir
55 - HAW - Harvey Gallagher - hawks get their guy here to provide run and carry as well as a scoring option from the Def
56 - RICH - Luke Teal - with a full injury free year should be much higher so a best available here
57 - GEEL - Blake Drury

(so we can laugh at this attempt :sweatsmile:)

Tsatas, Long and Gallagher make me very excited.
Not convinced a tall defender is necessary for us for this year so would happily swap Van Es for Dowling or Lemmey personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UPDATED
I think the positions are in order, so here is my final mock after fixing my North Melbourne pick mistakes(I had too many), and going back to my original swap of Ess and Stk picks.
It did change the outcome a fair bit as it went on.

ROUND ONE
1 - GWS - Aaron Cadman
2 - NTH - George Wardlaw
3 - NTH - Harry Sheezel
4 - BRIS - Will Ashcroft- Bid matched
Ess bid then trade 4, 22 & F3 to Stk for 10, 33, 44, 70 and F1 (or keep the pick and go phillipou meaning haw take tsatas and stk take mckenzie)
5 - STK - Elijah Tsatas
6 - GC - Bailey Humphrey
7 - HAW - Mattaes Phillipou
8 - GEE - Jhye Clark
9 - WCE - Ed Allan
10 - ESS - Cam McKenzie
11 - CAR - Jedd Busslinger
12 - WB - Rueben Ginbey
Melb trade 15 & F2 to GWS for 20 & 21
16 - SYD - Matthew Jefferson
18 - COLL - Jake Ryan
19 - SYD - Lachlan Cowan
20 - MELB - Oli Hotton

ROUND TWO
21 - MELB - Harry Barnett
22 - WCE - Elijah Hewett
24 - WB - Josh Weddle
25 - STK - Charlie Clarke
26 - NTH - Lewis Hayes
29 - ESS - Alwyn..Davey..Jnr - Bid matched
30 - WCE - Darcy Jones
31 - COLL - Joe Richards
32 - STK - Ethan Phillips
33 - CARL - Coby Burgiel
34 - FREO - Kaleb Smith
35 - CARL - Max Gruzewski
Carl trade F2 to Gws
36 - PORT- Jaiden Magor
37 - WCE - Isaac Keeler
Wce trade F3 to Melb

ROUND THREE
38 - WB - James Van Es
39 - HAW - Noah Long
40 - GWS - Harry Rowston - Bid matched
41 - SYD - Adam D’Aloia
42 - ESS - Anthony Munkara - Bid matched
43 - FREO - Harry Cole
44 - FREO - Jaxon Binns
45 - GC - Hugh Davies
46 - HAW- Tom..Scully
47 - RICH - Harry Lemmey
48 - GEE - Jed Hagan

ROUND FOUR
49 - ESS - Tom McCallum
50 - PORT - Billy Dowling
51 - NTH - Cooper Harvey - Bid matched
52 - FREO - Jasper Scaife - Bid matched
53 - RICH - Jake Walker
54 - ADEL - Will Verrell

(so we can laugh at this attempt )

Last edited:
Allen, Holland, Hewett, Jones & Keeler would be an amazing result for WC.

Although a few rumours floating we have 30 earmarked for Kaleb Smith, I’d take this in a heartbeat.
Yeah, heard that one too, but also that they want Connor McDonald and a few others. I just had to make the call on who I thought.

UPDATED
I think the positions are in order, so here is my final mock after fixing my North Melbourne pick mistakes(I had too many), and going back to my original swap of Ess and Stk picks.

ROUND ONE
1 - GWS - Aaron Cadman
2 - NTH - George Wardlaw
3 - NTH - Harry Sheezel
Ess bid then trade 4, 22 & F3 to Stk for 10, 33, 44, 70 and F1
5 - STK - Elijah Tsatas
6 - GC - Bailey Humphrey
8 - GEE - Jhye Clark
9 - WCE - Ed Allan
10 - ESS - Cam McKenzie
12 - WB - Rueben Ginbey
18 - COLL - Jake Ryan
19 - SYD - Lachlan Cowan
20 - MELB - Oli Hotton

ROUND TWO
22 - WCE - Elijah Hewett
24 - WB - Josh Weddle
26 - NTH - Lewis Hayes
30 - WCE - Darcy Jones
31 - COLL - Joe Richards
33 - CARL - Coby Burgiel
34 - FREO - Kaleb Smith
Carl trade F2 to Gws
36 - PORT- Jaiden Magor
37 - WCE - Isaac Keeler
Wce trade F3 to Melb

ROUND THREE
38 - WB - James Van Es
39 - HAW - Noah Long
41 - SYD - Adam D’Aloia
43 - FREO - Harry Cole
44 - FREO - Jaxon Binns
45 - GC - Hugh Davies
46 - HAW- Tom..Scully
47 - RICH - Harry Lemmey
48 - GEE - Jed Hagan

ROUND FOUR
49 - ESS - Tom McCallum
53 - RICH - Jake Walker
54 - ADEL - Will Verrell

Still hoping freo take tom Scully

Still hoping freo take tom Scully
Yeah I had that in my last one but changed it due to a few others they have on offer in their own backyard that would (I think) benefit their game style better alongside Treacy, Amiss and possibly Taberner who those would take over from eventually.

UPDATED

ROUND ONE
1 - GWS - Aaron Cadman
2 - NTH - George Wardlaw
3 - NTH - Harry Sheezel
Ess bid then trade 4, 22 & F3 to Stk for 10, 33, 44, 70 and F1
5 - STK - Elijah Tsatas
6 - GC - Bailey Humphrey
8 - GEE - Jhye Clark
9 - WCE - Ed Allan
10 - ESS - Cam McKenzie
12 - WB - Rueben Ginbey
18 - COLL - Jake Ryan
19 - SYD - Lachlan Cowan
20 - MELB - Oli Hotton

ROUND TWO
22 - WCE - Elijah Hewett
24 - WB - Josh Weddle
26 - NTH - Lewis Hayes
30 - WCE - Darcy Jones
31 - COLL - Joe Richards
33 - CARL - Coby Burgiel
34 - FREO - Kaleb Smith
Carl trade F2 to Gws
36 - PORT- Jaiden Magor
37 - WCE - Isaac Keeler
Wce trade F3 to Melb

ROUND THREE
38 - WB - James Van Es
39 - HAW - Noah Long
41 - SYD - Adam D’Aloia
43 - FREO - Harry Cole
44 - FREO - Jaxon Binns
45 - GC - Hugh Davies
46 - HAW- Tom..Scully
47 - RICH - Harry Lemmey
48 - GEE - Jed Hagan

ROUND FOUR
49 - ESS - Tom McCallum
53 - RICH - Jake Walker
54 - ADEL - Will Verrell

well done mate I love this. Some thoughts, I can't see the saints giving up a F1. Also, no Blake Drury and Jed Hagan at 48 are a couple of changes I would make. I can see Richmond taking Drury and Hagan landing somewhere between 30-40.
You thought this year was hard. Wait till next year 🤣

well done mate I love this. Some thoughts, I can't see the saints giving up a F1. Also, no Blake Drury and Jed Hagan at 48 are a couple of changes I would make. I can see Richmond taking Drury and Hagan landing somewhere between 30-40.
You thought this year was hard. Wait till next year 🤣
You have no idea how much I was thinking of Drury to Richmond, for me Drury (like a lot of this years players buying 20) is a role player and not much more. There will be gold nuggets found amongst the rest after the first round but it makes them hard to place.
Hagan, for example, I found hard to place as after the first round basically all teams will pick for areas of need and growth in depth positions because of this years crop standard.
Mate, every year is hard to ‘best guess’ after pick swaps and rumours etc. But this year I stuffed up the amount of picks to a couple of clubs and had to re-jig the whole thing.
The talk I heard awhile ago, (I had this pick swap done in a mock much earlier in the season, well at least a month ago I think) was STK is keen to jump up for Tsatas, so it’s the only way I could find for them to do it, clubs will be keen to hold onto first rounders for next year but if they have done their homework and due diligence on someone this year compared to next years ‘possible’ crop then maybe they will get who they want however it gets done.

I did say they may match scaife and I couldnt quite see anyone worthy of a ND for them to take late in the piece hence them jumping up early with a swap
Cleaver?

You have no idea how much I was thinking of Drury to Richmond, for me Drury (like a lot of this years players buying 20) is a role player and not much more. There will be gold nuggets found amongst the rest after the first round but it makes them hard to place.
Hagan, for example, I found hard to place as after the first round basically all teams will pick for areas of need and growth in depth positions because of this years crop standard.
Mate, every year is hard to ‘best guess’ after pick swaps and rumours etc. But this year I stuffed up the amount of picks to a couple of clubs and had to re-jig the whole thing.
The talk I heard awhile ago, (I had this pick swap done in a mock much earlier in the season, well at least a month ago I think) was STK is keen to jump up for Tsatas, so it’s the only way I could find for them to do it, clubs will be keen to hold onto first rounders for next year but if they have done their homework and due diligence on someone this year compared to next years ‘possible’ crop then maybe they will get who they want however it gets done.
You've done well. I think Drury is too good to miss, albeit it will be late in the draft hence why I think Richmond will take best available. In regards to the saints 2023 first rnd pick, next year is too good to miss a first rounder so i cant see them giving it up, whereas I think the top 10-12 this year are all on par, or there abouts so they won't be giving up a lot if they stay at pick 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back