NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed. Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Process Plan - https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...erms-of-Reference-and-Process-Plan-FINAL-.pdf

DO NOT QUOTE THREADS FROM OTHER BOARDS

Last edited:
Yeah. Really serious allegations against a club, surely it's the AFL who should be investigating and Hawks should be doing nothing other than co-operating. I really can't understand what's being alluded to. What should they have done?
Yes, they handed over the report as recommended, but other than that they seem keen to avoid taking any further action themselves. The third recommendation was 'that HFC undertake further investigations into the operations of the Football Department regarding their treatment of all players to establish whether the unethical practices were more widespread, condoned and accepted as normal practice from the Board and Administration.'

They don't seem to be pursuing this at all. Not sure about the extent to which the AFL investigation is doing this either.

Yes, they handed over the report as recommended, but other than that they seem keen to avoid taking any further action themselves. The third recommendation was 'that HFC undertake further investigations into the operations of the Football Department regarding their treatment of all players to establish whether the unethical practices were more widespread, condoned and accepted as normal practice from the Board and Administration.'

They don't seem to be pursuing this at all. Not sure about the extent to which the AFL investigation is doing this either.
If inappropriate conduct is found, the ToR are to investigate who knew, sanctioned, or should have known about the conduct.

I don't think the report recommendations are what the Hawks should be following at this stage - surely there's a procedure in terms of an AFL Integrity Unit? I'm surprised that it's suggested that they should be taking action other than co-operating.

If inappropriate conduct is found, the ToR are to investigate who knew, sanctioned, or should have known about the conduct.

I don't think the report recommendations are what the Hawks should be following at this stage - surely there's a procedure in terms of an AFL Integrity Unit? I'm surprised that it's suggested that they should be taking action other than co-operating.
It was recommended that they take additional action, they haven't. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the AFL investigation is going to cover all Hawthorn players of this period either, just the few interviewed by Egan.

Hawthorn went on a fishing expedition not expecting to catch anything. So far they have only tried one type of bait.

It was recommended that they take additional action, they haven't. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the AFL investigation is going to cover all Hawthorn players of this period either, just the few interviewed by Egan.

Hawthorn went on a fishing expedition not expecting to catch anything. So far they have only tried one type of bait.

At this stage, my view is that they should be responding to the AFL integrity unit - so if they are telling them to investigate all players, they should.

Jackson printed the claim ... "he told me to kill my unborn kid" ... under a headline that screamed "demanded a pregnancy termination."

I'm not sure where the issue with me saying "lurid allegations about forced abortions" is.

That's literally Jackson and Egan's big claim ... Clarkson was trying to force them to have abortions.

Or is it a case that the reporting wasn't clear and led to misconceptions for the reader, creating false impressions?

Egan hasn’t made any claims, he conducted interviews and compiled a report at the request of the HFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Really serious allegations against a club, surely it's the AFL who should be investigating and Hawks should be doing nothing other than co-operating. I really can't understand what's being alluded to. What should they have done?
What Essendon did I guess. Lose the spreadsheets. Lose all the player records. Destroy any evidence.

The big question is where the leaks came from. How did the ABC find out and how did the HUN get a copy.

1669258842603.png

6 days later...

1669258938143.png

Yes, big question...

99843794f408670b8f877d5f1a210e24ee791c24

View attachment 1559670

6 days later...

View attachment 1559672

Yes, big question...

I don't get what you're suggesting?

View attachment 1559670

6 days later...

View attachment 1559672

Yes, big question...

Memories flooding back of corporate shenanigans, contending agendas, bs, backstabbing, and other assorted Machiavelliphernalia I experienced at work at one time. Gives me a head pain just thinking about it. There must be a better way to make a living.

I'm suggesting that specifically Kennett was involved in the leaking of the report.
I understood your suggestion was that SOMEONE at Hawks leaked the report to spite Alistair, however, Kennett doing so could easily blow up in his own face. I was thinking someone else with no link to the Aborigine players' scandal.

Literally no one has played down the seriousness of the allegations

Exactly.

I’ve definitely questioned the credibility of the Jackson article because quite frankly it’s highly questionable.

I believe he printed what he was told but he did absolutely nothing to frame the context of the allegations. It was a lazy article designed to create headlines and his shoddy handling has now meant that the complainants have been put under the spotlight when they don’t want to be.

A competent journalist wouldn’t have handled it that way.

Egan hasn’t made any claims, he conducted interviews and compiled a report at the request of the HFC.

Fair point, but it is also a bit more nuanced.

Egan actually places himself in the report as a key player.

He says people spoke to him due to the "profile and respect" he has in the community.

He talks about using yarning where the researcher is an active participant in driving the discussion.

You're framing this as a very clean and legalistic procedure, that you'd get had Hawthorn hired a big 4 firm to do it.

It wasn't that at all, it was a very different process. Egan says it was culturally safe and that's how he got revelations that some 29 year old working for KPMG probably wouldn't.

But Amy's lawyer also says she now has concerns about its cultural safety.

It's hugely nuanced and complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back