The timing of Season 7 doesn’t work

Remove this Banner Ad

Won’t get 17 for a while. Maybe 12 though.

I have a feeling that the case scenario would be by year 3 of a 3 year CBA, something like 12, 14, 17 accompanied by playing squad increases to 33-35 over the same timeframe.

Random fun facts I learnt today: the new Brisbane training centre and AFLW ground was set up to be identical between the men's and women's programs. Including 50 lockers in the locker room for both. So they're totally ready for any growth in squad sizes :)

Random fun facts I learnt today: the new Brisbane training centre and AFLW ground was set up to be identical between the men's and women's programs. Including 50 lockers in the locker room for both. So they're totally ready for any growth in squad sizes :)
Helps cater to larger academy squads.

They had to pull the trigger on 18 clubs and get it up and running as soon as they could.

Brisbane is hosting the Olympics in 10 years, the AFL has to get as much as it can get of the talent and try and keep the kids that are now 12-15 year olds in footy.

I've been in both during construction and can confirm

Can we just admit that the August start has been a complete failure?

There's only going to be 8000 for the Grand Final and it's going to be played in over 30 degree heat.

If this aflw season wasn't at such a ridiculous time of the year, the Grand Final would have been played in front of roughly a crowd of 37000 at the Gabba in cooler weather.

If this aflw season wasn't at such a ridiculous time of the year, the Grand Final would have been played in front of roughly a crowd of 37000 at the Gabba in cooler weather.
Delusional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delusional.
You clearly have no idea how the Brisbane bandwagon works, this game sold out in less than 10 minutes, it would have sold out the Gabba.

Would've been a crowd of about 15k at a more-than-half-empty Gabba, if it was available.

Springfield was big enough to accommodate all members from both clubs (hence it didn't sell out until after tickets went on sale to the general bandwagon public), and the venue looked good on TV.

Third-best AFLW team across the competition's history, 2nd-lowest membership in the league (less than GWS ffs). I personally like the idea of bandwagoners being locked out of the GF, whether there's three thousand or thirty thousand of them.

I didn't get to watch all the game today, but from what I saw the stadium was very good and the playing surface looked elite. If I was the Lions, I'd like that as a permanent home ground, although it may have some negative memories.

Would've been a crowd of about 15k at a more-than-half-empty Gabba, if it was available.

Springfield was big enough to accommodate all members from both clubs (hence it didn't sell out until after tickets went on sale to the general bandwagon public), and the venue looked good on TV.

Third-best AFLW team across the competition's history, 2nd-lowest membership in the league (less than GWS ffs). I personally like the idea of bandwagoners being locked out of the GF, whether there's three thousand or thirty thousand of them.
Brisbane (the people of the city, not the Lions) are the biggest band wagon fans you'll ever find.

It's always hard to explain to Victorians (even new south welshmen) that membership to a sporting team is a foreign concept to many Brisbanites. They're so used to being able to walk up to the stadium and buy a ticket on the night.

Put a Brisbane side (or an Australian team that's not cricket) in a final and we'll show up. Or at least buy the tickets.

What would be the pros/cons of having the AFLW Grand Final played at the MCG before the mens Grand Final?

I think the atmosphere would be great for the players and they'd get a lot more of a TV audience too I'd imagine.

You're completely wrong if you think the Gabba would only get 15000 for a Lions Grand Final. Best you not comment on a city you clearly have no idea about.

Locking out 29000 fans (even if they are all bandwagoners) for the Grand Final because the AFL decided to move the women's season to the wrong time of year is a massive fail from the AFL.

What would be the pros/cons of having the AFLW Grand Final played at the MCG before the mens Grand Final?

I think the atmosphere would be great for the players and they'd get a lot more of a TV audience too I'd imagine.
Fans of teams that make the women's Grand Final would have to pay hundreds for a ticket if they can even get one. I know a Knights fan who wanted to watch his team in the NRLW Grand Final but couldn't go because the Men's GF sold out.

It was Rnd 5

…badoom tish
sorry, couldn’t help it

You're completely wrong if you think the Gabba would only get 15000 for a Lions Grand Final. Best you not comment on a city you clearly have no idea about.
Ok I have no idea about the city, but you do. So please tell me: What was the average TV audience in Brisbane for today's game on Seven's primary channel?

I think it's unrealistic to suggest that the grand final would've sold out the Gabba. At best it would've been half-full - which would've been a great crowd but wouldn't have looked as good as the bursting Michael Voss Oval yesterday. I love the AFLW but it doesn't have the broader interest and acceptance that the men's competition has yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back