World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group C - (Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland)

Remove this Banner Ad

No no no no no NOOOOOOOO! I am not arguing that he is rubbish! Read what I have written friend. He is absolutely magnificent at what he does, that is, score goals - just like pigsy but he is no Cruyff, no Pele and certainly no Maradona just like pigsy is not Ablett senior or Dustin Martin or Shaun Burgoyne for that matter.
He does more than score goals ffs.

Messi has been one of the best playmakers in the world for most of his career. Insane to claim he’s just a goal scorer.
I was thinking the same. His assists record is nearly as insane as his goals record. Messi's dribbles, crosses, beautifully weighted through balls, and elegant passing has been as much a joy to watch as his goals.

Yeah I don't think Messi is "just a goalscorer".

He has a lot in his bag, and has adapted very well as he's gotten older.
That's called wishful thinking and just on whether or not Maradona could takle, I've got a bit more time on my hands these days so I went and dug something up for you.

Those of us who were privileged to be of an age when Maradona started playing and saw him right from the off can say without fear or favour that the vision below was not of rare occasions, it was commonplace. The stuff in this vision Messi has never done and is not capable of doing and that is no slight against Messi whatsoever.

I am an atheist, I have been so since my first year at high school but when I first clapped eyes on Maradona, I had to re-evaluate, at best, think about drifting towards agnosticism because Maradona was God's Masterpiece, His gift to world football. Maradona had no weaknesses. He was the ultimate, complete player. He was not tall but he could "leap tall buildings in a single bound" so to speak. You could play him in any position on the field and he would dominate, he'd make any and every opponent look silly/second rate.

I have also provided a link to Gary Lineker's tribute to Maradona where he is highly diplomatic towards Messi otherwise the Cult of Messi could lead to him being without a job if he stated what you can tell he wanted to say: Maradona was the greatest player of all time.

In 1983 when Maradona sprint from the halfway line, take the ball around the goalkeeper and made the Real defenders on the goal-line look silly in an El Clasico, the Real fans in the Bernabeu stood and waved their white flags above their heads to say they were surrendering to Maradona’s greatness. Iniesta and Ronaldinho have received standing ovations from the Madrid fans. Laurie Cunningham got a standing ovation in an El Clasico fronm Barcelona fans when he was playing for Real. Messi has had no such adulation from the Real Madrid fans.

I have absolutley nothing against Messi as you well know. I am a very hard marker of players and performances as you also well know but I also won't stand by and let the myth that Messi or any other player that has graced the pitches of football be spoken about as being better than Maradona - no-one is.

Just look at Argentina fans they don't worship Messi like they do Maradona. They pray to Maradona, Messi just a failure who choked in every world cup for them and he proved how s**t he is in France without Xavi + Iniesta carrying him.

He's having a huge season this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does one of Europe’s so called best referees even give that as a penalty? What an idiot!

A) The header was wide by a massive distance and B) The goalkeeper can actually go for a cross ffs.
It's the same as a goalkeeper in the process of making a save is allowed to make contact with a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back