Women's Footy AFLW Grand Final

Not against 1. However perhaps not as drastic a size shrink is required. Issue is how could you implement? Ground sizes are already not consisent, and well changing goal post positioning risks creating potential surface risk to grounds for larger sized mens field if post holes come into play. The game is already under reduced players and uses smaller ball. Could perhaps apply that field lines are created to a lower width to help create smaller field but then it risks becomes a corridor only game like Geelong stadium is often argued to create. However less players

Yeah implementation would be the key, it's clear something needs to be done. These women have improved their skills, lets not make it a scrap with 15-20 points per game. Whilst high scoring doesn't equal good game there is a middle ground. Do feel 30-35 points is achievable with a few small tweaks.

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I enjoyed it for what it is. Don’t compare mens with Womens its 3 decades away from being near it. The skills in general have improved massively though however not sure they needed to expand so quickly.

I’d look at some changes or tweaks

1) Reduce the ground size. These girls can’t kick it as long which means more and more congestion which in turns makes it scrappy. Take out 15 m on both ends and it will get more scoring

2) Reduce players on the field by 4. Take the game on, less players in the centre circle.
Speaking to a friend of mine who has worked at 4 AFLW clubs he shares the same view on point 1, as do the girls.

Speaking to a friend of mine who has worked at 4 AFLW clubs he shares the same view on point 1, as do the girls.

Yeah, look I'm not surprised. Now how it's implemented across the board I don't know but it's clear we need more scoring.

JackieMoon33

Senior List
May 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel sorry for the other elite womens sports, who struggle to get the attention in the media that they deserve, whilst the AFLW takes prime real-estate in the newspapers and TV, enjoying authoritarian like censorship of anyone who dares to call a spade a spade. (and please don't talk about the intensity and toughness.)

AFLW should never have been attached to the AFL clubs, and thus never been more than 8 teams (if even that). In all honesty the AFLW shouldn't even exist yet, with the state leagues being the focus of community growth. You could then have your National Carnival as the showcase of the state talent.

I can see the AFLW in its current form being axed sometime in the future and being replaced with something subsensible. Because 18 teams has just pushed this competition back so far in available talent that it is not a joke. The AFL itself shouldn't even be 18 teams, let alone 19 with the pending introduction of Tasmania.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Be careful the supporters of AFLW are incredibly sensitive to any criticism of their beloved comp.

Their glass jaws will shatter easily

I think you're the ones with the glass jaw. I can never understand why people - mostly male - feel so threatened by AFLW and take so much time and effort to knock it.

It's simple - if you don't like it, don't watch it !! I don't watch female tennis or golf. I don't watch NBL basketball either - they all suck.

The girls get paid a pittance and the AFL spend a pittance compared to the men so don't see what the big deal is.

It's a sports that's basically 8 years old. I have three daughters who now play Aussie rules and it's changed their lives. They and their friends took it up because the AFLW started and it became 'cool'.

That's what it's all about !!

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you're the ones with the glass jaw. I can never understand why people - mostly male - feel so threatened by AFLW and take so much time and effort to knock it.

It's simple - if you don't like it, don't watch it !! I don't watch female tennis or golf. I don't watch NBL basketball either - they all suck.

The girls get paid a pittance and the AFL spend a pittance compared to the men so don't see what the big deal is.

It's a sports that's basically 8 years old. I have three daughters who now play Aussie rules and it's changed their lives. They and their friends took it up because the AFLW started and it became 'cool'.

That's what it's all about !!

They spend plenty for what they get in return.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
professional female golfers hit the ball over 260 mtrs consistently ,land it on a dime from 95mtrs just like the men
sink 20 footers like theres no tmr & chip in out of sand traps 25 mtrs from the hole,thts what id call professional
AFLW not there yet,not to mention the prizemoney the LPGA offers women golfers and its for good reason they have
a season ending 7 million dollar tournament,it took womens golf over 50 years to get to the point where they are today,
strap yaselves in for good while yet AFLW fans

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
End of the day, if you don't enjoy the AFLW, don't watch it.

I'll be the first to admit I didn't watch it in the first 6 seasons on the idea that it wasn't entertaining.

I gave it a go, and whilst I would love more goals, I'm enjoying the contest as a whole

I do think they need a few tweaks - more game time (just as a quarter opens up its end of the quarter).

Oct 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon the GF was the outlier for most of the season in terms of scoring. We saw plenty of high scoring games/teams this year and not sure I'd be making wholesale changes on the back of 1 low scoring game.

Things are improving, they still have a fair way to go but the skills are getting better each season and the talent pool should start getting added to next year rather than diminished which should see more rapid improvement moving forward.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Not something I watch or even care about, but so what? Plenty of girls do, and they make up a good proportion of Aussie rules fans.
And there are 50 million other things going on in the world worth complaining about before getting to this storm in a tea cup.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel sorry for the other elite womens sports, who struggle to get the attention in the media that they deserve, whilst the AFLW takes prime real-estate in the newspapers and TV, enjoying authoritarian like censorship of anyone who dares to call a spade a spade. (and please don't talk about the intensity and toughness.)

AFLW should never have been attached to the AFL clubs, and thus never been more than 8 teams (if even that). In all honesty the AFLW shouldn't even exist yet, with the state leagues being the focus of community growth. You could then have your National Carnival as the showcase of the state talent.

I can see the AFLW in its current form being axed sometime in the future and being replaced with something subsensible. Because 18 teams has just pushed this competition back so far in available talent that it is not a joke. The AFL itself shouldn't even be 18 teams, let alone 19 with the pending introduction of Tasmania.
With all due respect, this attitude is why it took until 2015 for there to be a national women's comp.

Last edited:

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
professional female golfers hit the ball over 260 mtrs consistently ,land it on a dime from 95mtrs just like the men
sink 20 footers like theres no tmr & chip in out of sand traps 25 mtrs from the hole,thts what id call professional
AFLW not there yet,not to mention the prizemoney the LPGA offers women golfers and its for good reason they have
a season ending 7 million dollar tournament,it took womens golf over 50 years to get to the point where they are today,
strap yaselves in for good while yet AFLW fans
Professional golfers don't get taken out from an unexpected hip and shoulder while putting. I think you might find executing skills a tad more difficult when you don't have all the time in the world.

peetoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is so much better now, and there’s ladies in the ammo’s who are better than AFLW season 1

But. Scoreless last quarters is so AFLW

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Amazing how it’s the people who don’t watch the game who seem to have so much to say about it.
Sorry, wasn’t intended at you.

I made the mistake of opening the comments on a 7AFL Facebook post and got me worked up.

Umpiring certainly needs a bit of tweaking as you say.
"I don't care about AFLW, I just wish it wasn't shoved down my throat!!!1!!"
Just scroll on, it's not that *ing hard😂.

Plus the more they comment on it, the algorithm is going to pick it up and show more AFLW posts.

Absolute dumbasses😂

Back