Western Bulldogs
Big call from Shifter, with there being one ruck in the pool who's rated top 25

1669519289056.png

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Where every player according to Shifter is the next Judd lol

I never liked that. I mean yes I get he is trying to talk up the players drafted but at least give us some semi-reliable information about each player drafted. If they are at pick 30 tell us why he was overlooked 29 other times, what are his flaws and what sort of player is said club actually getting.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I never liked that. I mean yes I get he is trying to talk up the players drafted but at least give us some semi-reliable information about each player drafted. If they are at pick 30 tell us why he was overlooked 29 other times, what are his flaws and what sort of player is said club actually getting.
Spot on. He's almost not worthy of featuring on tv anymore. he offers nothing.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Shifter and Twomey's roles are to hype the kids up and give a view of their best traits, get fans excited so there's still AFL talk over the off season, expecting anything else is always going to end in disappointment, even the genuine draft watchers on here are light with their criticisms on prospects, it doesn't help anyone just shitting on a kid for the things they can't do

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Shifter and Twomey's roles are to hype the kids up and give a view of their best traits, get fans excited so there's still AFL talk over the off season, expecting anything else is always going to end in disappointment, even the genuine draft watchers on here are light with their criticisms on prospects, it doesn't help anyone just shitting on a kid for the things they can't do

True but even something like "tough as nails, finds the ball easily, loves to attack, needs to work on his foot skills" would be enough.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
in the nba, which basically does everything better than the afl, they also focus on the draftees shortcomings.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
True but even something like "tough as nails, finds the ball easily, loves to attack, needs to work on his foot skills" would be enough.
Sure, but they run the risk of that quickly turning into "WE PICKED SOMEONE THAT CAN'T ******* KICK ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" like we've seen happen with Humphrey so rapidly this year, hype and potential for media articles is the aim.
in the nba, which basically does everything better than the afl, they also focus on the draftees shortcomings.
We're not the NBA, outside of it being called a draft as well there's really no similarities

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sure, but they run the risk of that quickly turning into "WE PICKED SOMEONE THAT CAN'T ******* KICK ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" like we've seen happen with Humphrey so rapidly this year, hype and potential for media articles is the aim.

We're not the NBA, outside of it being called a draft as well there's really no similarities
There's no doubt the afl has copied the nba in just about everything that they do. Look at this 2 ads:
2011 AFL ad:
2010 NBA ad:

It's embarrassing how much the afl copies the nba. Why do you think the AFL changed the name from AFL Draft 'CAMP' to 'COMBINE'? Another example of copying the nba.

I could think of many more examples. It wouldn't surprise me if they start giving the draftees hats upon the stage.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

There's a pretty solid "Busslinger can't defend man on man" sentiment happening among Dogs fans.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
There's a pretty solid "Busslinger can't defend man on man" sentiment happening among Dogs fans.
Happens every year, people take something from a credible draft watcher or match report, and snowball it

Marc McGowan (The Age)

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Aside from the placement of the bid for Fletcher, McGowan's Phantom Draft only has 1 pick different to Twomey's Late Mail in the first round, being Sydney's pick at #20 (Barnett vs Cowan).

1. GWS Giants - Aaron Cadman
  2. Brisbane Lions - Will Ashcroft (bid)
  3. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
  4. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
  5. Essendon - Elijah Tsatas
  6. Gold Coast - Bailey Humphrey
  7. Hawthorn - Cam Mackenzie
  8. Geelong - Jhye Clark
  9. West Coast Eagles - Reuben Ginbey
  10. St Kilda - Mattaes Phillipou
  11. Carlton - Oliver Hollands
  12. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher (bid)
  13. Western Bulldogs - Jedd Busslinger
  14. West Coast Eagles - Edward Allan
  15. Melbourne - Matthew Jefferson
  16. Sydney Swans - Josh Weddle
  17. GWS Giants - Jacob Konstanty
  18. Collingwood - Jakob Ryan
  19. Adelaide - Max Michalanney (bid)
  20. Sydney Swans - Harry Barnett
  21. GWS Giants - Brayden George

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Shifter is also the afl talent manager, he gets paid by the afl. He isn’t getting paid to be a draft analyst like in the USA. There’s a reason why they get paid so much in the usa and can be however critical they want is because:
1. The draft is such a highly sort after product - more people watch the nfl draft than nba finals.
2. Kids have been playing in college before they’re drafted.

Although watching the coverage they a majority of the time focus on positives of the athletes.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There's no doubt the afl has copied the nba in just about everything that they do. Look at this 2 ads:
2011 AFL ad:
2010 NBA ad:

It's embarrassing how much the afl copies the nba. Why do you think the AFL changed the name from AFL Draft 'CAMP' to 'COMBINE'? Another example of copying the nba.

I could think of many more examples. It wouldn't surprise me if they start giving the draftees hats upon the stage.

Would actually be copying the nfl not the nba

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
Twomey is a little more realistic in his assessment of players IMO. Also provides some insight into where they could be taken in the draft. Shifter adds nothing you couldn’t get from a BF draft profile.

Twomey is a little more realistic in his assessment of players IMO. Also provides some insight into where they could be taken in the draft. Shifter adds nothing you couldn’t get from a BF draft profile.
He is an employee of the AFL. He is not there to trash the brand. He is there to talk up the product. People expecting that AFL employees like Shifter and Twomey to be more discerning and expressive in their views and opinions on players are bit naive in their expectations. No different then you and me working for our company. Even if we know our product is crap we would not be expressing that view in public.

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
He is an employee of the AFL. He is not there to trash the brand. He is there to talk up the product. People expecting that AFL employees like Shifter and Twomey to be more discerning and expressive in their views and opinions on players are bit naive in their expectations. No different then you and me working for our company. Even if we know our product is crap we would not be expressing that view in public.
All fair. My point is, have someone more impartial present on draft night. FTR, I’m not in favour of having some dickhead s**t on a 17 year old on the biggest night of their life. For example, this tone of commentary might be more appropriate “they’re a great kick, they slid to 31 because they need to do a little work on their tank”.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

I remember watching vision of Paddy Dow.

Everyone saying “this kid’s top 3 in the draft.”

I looked at the vision again, wondering what I was missing as this kid could not kick for s**t. He’s now delist material.

Blowing smoke is just as bad. And recruiters thinking they can fix such a fundamental flaw.
I mean what made Dow a top 3 pick in 2017 and Matt De Boer a rookie in 2009.
Barlow apparently had a fatal kicking flaw and he’s 100 times the kick Dow was

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember watching vision of Paddy Dow.

Everyone saying “this kid’s top 3 in the draft.”

I looked at the vision again, wondering what I was missing as this kid could not kick for s**t. He’s now delist material.

Blowing smoke is just as bad. And recruiters thinking they can fix such a fundamental flaw.
I mean what made Dow a top 3 pick in 2017 and Matt De Boer a rookie in 2009.
Barlow apparently had a fatal kicking flaw and he’s 100 times the kick Dow was
It's not Dow's kicking which is keeping him out of the team, his kicking is fine.

Back