List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adrian Caruso - lots of discussion around Aaron Cadman; unlike Adam Kingsley who tried to build a story around the #1 pick still having 2 or 3 options, Caruso was plain as day. "Bringing in good characters".

"Could hold all 4 picks, or could sell #15 or #19. There are scenarios that we might move backwards to see how options play out. #15 could move forward, back, into 2023 or pick." (Thanks for clarifying that, Adrian!)

"If we pick at #15, then #19 will likely be up for trade. If we trade #15, we'll most likely use #19. Also depends on how much we're offered - we're realistic that the offers aren't going to be 3 first round picks."

"Need is mid-forward rather than backs. But we don't want to ignore the best talent."

"We want to bring Harry Rowston in, but it depends on where that bid comes. Hopefully after our last pick - we want to use 4 picks before Harry." (Note, that means #15, #19 or #31 is going to be traded.)

Night before predictions not knowing which picks we keep or trade I think it's a combo of Cadman, George and Konstanty (might not be in that order) and one of the picks gets traded. Going to bed dreaming of a F1 from the saints.

GWS GIANTS

Picks:
1, 15, 18, 19, 31, 57

Latest intel: You can lock in that the Giants will take Aaron Cadman with the first pick in the draft. The only element up for debate is whether they first bid on Will Ashcroft to exact a full toll on Brisbane. At this stage, clubs believe the Giants are leaning towards taking Cadman on his own merit. They’ve then got three more early selections: Picks 15, 18 and 19 — and it’s widely expected at least one of those picks will be traded to a rival club. The Giants love Ed Allan, but it’s hard to see him still being on the board by their second first-rounder. Exciting medium forward Brayden George is one of several players that have been linked to the Giants. Others include Gippsland Power’s Jacob Konstanty, Sandringham Dragons’ Charlie Clarke and Swan Districts’ Darcy Jones, with Clarke considered the most likely to be taken of that trio. They could also look at gun WA midfielder Elijah Hewett, who hasn’t been invited to attend the first night of the draft at Marvel Stadium but remains in the first-round mix. There’s also the possibility of drafting a key defender, which would bring Josh Weddle, Lewis Hayes and even Max Gruzewski into the equation, while both Henry Hustwaite — a versatile midfielder that has the potential to become a third tall defender — and Olli Hotton are also in the mix. Their top Academy prospect Harry Rowston, who’s been compared to Tim Taranto,has lots of interest from rival clubs with late first-round and early second-round picks, while Academy ruck Nick Madden could go later in the national draft.

Best-case scenario: After taking Cadman, the Giants finally find a suitor to trade with in the first round, packaging up their picks to move up the order — and possibly secure Allan. If they hold their first-round selections, they take Cadman, Weddle and one of those smaller forwards (George, Clarke or Konstanty). Then the offers flood in for their prized Pick 19 — the first selection of night two and the second round — before striking a deal that seems them secure a future first in return. Plus no first-round bid comes on Rowston — in fact, Rowston doesn’t attract a bid until after Pick 31 — while Madden slips to the rookie draft.

Worst-case scenario: A Rowston bid is launched by a rival before the Giants’ second first-round pick, forcing the club’s suite of selections to be reshuffled slightly but enough to miss out on both George and Weddle. A Madden bid comes as early as the second round.

Cadman was just interviewed by Cal and Riley.
  • Says Giants we’re first to interview him (Emma & Adrian)
  • Spoke a bit to Jezza
  • Was extremely impressed by how well all of rated the club and culture.
  • Said he is really hoping to get to the Giants most
  • Would be very excited to come to Sydney to live.

Ticking all the boxes that he is super keen to come our way and we are his preference.
Very positive now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Spoke a bit to Jezza

Ticking all the boxes that he is super keen to come our way and we are his preference.
Very positive now.

Yeah saw that as well, he seems a really great dude.

How much do we all expect Cadman to play in Year 1 at this point? Mostly in the 2s and a few games throughout the year in the 1s? Consistent presence in the 1s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
How much do we all expect Cadman to play in Year 1 at this point? Mostly in the 2s and a few games throughout the year in the 1s? Consistent presence in the 1s?
I think he'll likely get a decent run in the team to see what he can offer, but regular games rested or some time in the 2s to consolidate what he's learned.

• Spoke a bit to Jezza

Very positive now.

Also interesting Derek Hine’s comments on Cadman, loved him and said a very rare player he compares to Charlie Curnow and that he rated the Number 1 pick in the draft.

Looks like Collingwood like the same players we do and Sydney do so if we hold position it will be a bit tactical between the three sides. Mentioned Weddle, Hotton and Konstanty.

These guys aren't ranked within their tiers but how I feel tonight and tomorrow might play out. Tiered in how I think it'll play out not what I would do.

Players we will for sure pick:
Cadman

Pretty good feeling about:
Konstanty

Linked to for a while:
George
Clarke
Jones

Also an option:
Weddle
Allan
Hewett

Last edited:
Ideally for me:
  • KPF - absolute need, but Cadman is a sure bet
  • small forward - most options of all, Clarke, Konstanty, George or even later Long and even very late in the draft Shadeau Brain, Seth Campbell
  • speedy mid - Allan seems to be our ideal, Elijah Hewett has lots of upside although a go home risk, Hollands, Hotton or later in the draft Burgeil, Dowling or Magor
  • inside mid - Rowston, providing he lasts past our round 1 picks, happy to carry a second round deficit into next year if required (he can also play forward, so very much a Tim Taranto-style mid/fwd)
  • another forward or mid-forward (Burgeil, Dowling, Magor, Sadler all later options)
As I've said previously, I'm not that keen for a ruck or a KPD, but if we nail the other picks then OK: Barnett, Weddle, Hayes probably my preferred order.

Plus moving some picks into 2023.

Lots of opportunity - don't * it up, Adrian!

Ideally for me:
  • KPF - absolute need, but Cadman is a sure bet
  • small forward - most options of all, Clarke, Konstanty, George or even later Long and even very late in the draft Shadeau Brain, Seth Campbell
  • speedy mid - Allan seems to be our ideal, Elijah Hewett has lots of upside although a go home risk, Hollands, Hotton or later in the draft Burgeil, Dowling or Magor
  • inside mid - Rowston, providing he lasts past our round 1 picks, happy to carry a second round deficit into next year if required (he can also play forward, so very much a Tim Taranto-style mid/fwd)
  • another forward or mid-forward (Burgeil, Dowling, Magor, Sadler all later options)
As I've said previously, I'm not that keen for a ruck or a KPD, but if we nail the other picks then OK: Barnett, Weddle, Hayes probably my preferred order.

Plus moving some picks into 2023.

Lots of opportunity - don't * it up, Adrian!
Think Allan is my pick of the mids if it comes between him and Hewett, seems to be less go home concerns with him the way he's been discussed relative to Hewett but ultimately idk and also has a bit more flexibility to play outside which I think is a nice bonus to have. Great athlete got a big frame as well that can be built on, maybe I'm getting a bit suckered into the measurements but think it's credible that he had solid performances as a midfielder in senior WAFL competition not totally just buying into traits there's also runs on the board.

Also interesting Derek Hine’s comments on Cadman, loved him and said a very rare player he compares to Charlie Curnow and that he rated the Number 1 pick in the draft.

Looks like Collingwood like the same players we do and Sydney do so if we hold position it will be a bit tactical between the three sides. Mentioned Weddle, Hotton and Konstanty.
I think that is just a big Victorian side lining up cadman for the raid in a couple of years “we were into him in a big way at the draft…”

So, the Pou is sliding backwards.

I wonder if clubs were a bit put off by his attitude?

#5 to 8: Tsatas, Humphrey, Mackenzie, Clark.

Mackenzie a slight surprise perhaps, although was rumoured to be favoured by Sammy Mitchell.

And no trades so far!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back