Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only just started reading this but the AFL held an inquiry when the Vic teams were in a premiership drought so why isn't it holding an inquiry for the interstate teams that are now in a premiership drought?

Interesting quote from the article.....

"An inquiry, he said, would now be set up by the league to determine how this inequity might be resolved. Quite how the league can legislate to give Victorian teams a better chance at winning is difficult to gauge. But it will be one of Demetriou’s great challenges. For if the AFL loses the confidence of Victorian football fans, and loses the state as its beating heart, then the national game will be in tatters"
These things are said just about every season about some non-Vic teams, in particular those in the non-traditional Aussie Rules states.

NSW and QLD seem to be immersed an eternal inquiry, and that's after the Lions and Swans have won approximately one quarter of all premierships between them in the last 20 or so years.

Yes, Im sure Ron Barassi also writes an annual article where he calls for inquiries into teams from certain parts of the country.

Like this one..

I just cant seem to find any prior or since..go figure.

Yes, Im sure Ron Barassi also writes an annual article where he calls for inquiries into teams from certain parts of the country.

Like this one..

Seeing as you can't seem to find an outcome to these inquiries, let's just make some up hey?

I think the AFL just don't care about Port in particular, they were just given a license to up the TV ratings in Adelaide.

The rest of he country didn't give a clackers about Port before the AFL and less so now, Port are just a fill-in team, so Adelaide get a game every week.

So I really don't know why it bothers you so much about Vics being so much better, they always have been and always will be, just go back and follow Port in that other league.

Well documented that the AFL intervened at the last minute and facilitated his move to the Swans.

Similar deal was done with Judd.

Plugger wanted to get out of the insular closed in football media fishbowl that was Melbourne.

Like this one..

Love and revere Ronald Dale Barassi, the greatest living VFL legend still with us, but I don't think anyone has taken him seriously since he coached the Sydney Swans.

images

Has had the grumpy old codger reputation usurped from him by Malthouse and Sheedy in recent years lol

Seeing as you can't seem to find an outcome to these inquiries, let's just make some up hey?

I think the AFL just don't care about Port in particular, they were just given a license to up the TV ratings in Adelaide.

The rest of he country didn't give a clackers about Port before the AFL and less so now, Port are just a fill-in team, so Adelaide get a game every week.

So I really don't know why it bothers you so much about Vics being so much better, they always have been and always will be, just go back and follow Port in that other league.
Dont be silly, Port, along with Brisbane, Sydney and West Coast broke your state league, of course the AFL care about us, they cared enough to hold an inquiry into how we broke you.

Dont be silly, Port, along with Brisbane, Sydney and West Coast broke your state league, of course the AFL care about us, they cared enough to hold an inquiry into how we broke you.
Isn't there an article where big Andy said they only care about losing Vic supporters?
They really don't care about Port, no-one except Port supporters care about Port, if they were gone tomorrow not one tear would be shed.

And even if you did break us, it only lasted a couple of years, we soon fixed that.

Isn't there an article where big Andy said they only care about losing Vic supporters?
They really don't care about Port, no-one except Port supporters care about Port, if they were gone tomorrow not one tear would be shed.

And even if you did break us, it only lasted a couple of years, we soon fixed that.
Nah, West Coast we're still breaking your club in 2018..lol

Yeah but i'm not here crying about it am I, you on the other hand.
Fun fact, in the 26 years since my club entered the competition we've won more Minor Premierships than you and played in 1/3 as many GF's for the same number of Premierships.
We even look better in black and white..lol

What's to cry about.

Fun fact, in the 26 years since my club entered the competition we've won more Minor Premierships than you and played in 1/3 as many GF's for the same number of Premierships.
We even look better in black and white..lol

What's to cry about.
So here you are crying about being hard done by, and also bragging you have done better than a Vic club, fair dinkum mate you just can't make this crap up.

Let me say it again, no-one cares about Port, you may have done better than all Vic clubs and the AFL would not lose one bit of sleep if you folded tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So here you are crying about being hard done by, and also bragging you have done better than a Vic club, fair dinkum mate you just can't make this crap up.

Let me say it again, no-one cares about Port, you may have done better than all Vic clubs and the AFL would not lose one bit of sleep if you folded tomorrow.
Hard done by, lol, I dont think so.
That we work around the inequities of your league and still push you is not a failure on our behalf, if anything it highlights how dependent your clubs still are on the advantages you receive.

We know who we are and what we represent for the AFL, thats not the point, the point is, despite being minnows in this league and probably even unwanted, we played a part in forcing the great VFL clubs of the supposed heartland to take a good hard look at themselves and be better.
We changed you.

Hard done by, lol, I dont think so.
That we work around the inequities of your league and still push you is not a failure on our behalf, if anything it highlights how dependent your clubs still are on the advantages you receive.

We know who we are and what we represent for the AFL, thats not the point, the point is, despite being minnows in this league and probably even unwanted, we played a part in forcing the great VFL clubs of the supposed heartland to take a good hard look at themselves and be better.
We changed you.
Oh you poor dear, you actually think you have done something for this league, all you have done is sponge off the other clubs to exist.

How much debt are you in now?

Oh you poor dear, you actually think you have done something for this league, all you have done is sponge off the other clubs to exist.

How much debt are you in now?
Heaps, and we're still doing better than you where it matters despite the inequities, thanks for the handouts though.

There’s been some interesting posts here based on clearly minimal research, so let me assist:

Based on Vic team v Non-Vic team ratios:

2001-2006:

Making finals:
Vic teams should = 30 (actual 22)
Non-Vic should = 18 (actual 26)
So Vic teams under-represented by 27%

Making PF:
Vic should = 15 (actual 8)
Non-Vic should = 9 (actual 16)
Vic teams under represented by 47%

Grand Finals:
Vic should = 7.5 (actual 3)
Non-Vic should = 4.5 (actual 9)
Vic teams under represented by 60%

Bottom 4 finish:
Vic should = 15 (actual 20)
Non-Vic should = 9 (actual 4)
Vic teams over represented by 33%

2017-2022:

Making finals:
Vic teams should = 26.7 (actual 27)
Non-Vic should = 21.3 (actual 21)
So non-Vic teams under-represented by 0.3%

Making PF:
Vic should = 13.3 (actual 15)
Non-Vic should = 10.7 (actual 9)
Non-Vic teams under represented by 16%

Grand Finals:
Vic should = 6.7 (actual 8)
Non-Vic should = 5.3 (actual 4)
Non-Vic teams under represented by 25%

Bottom 4 finish:
Vic should = 13.3 (actual 12)
Non-Vic should = 10.7 (actual 12)
Non-Vic teams over represented by 13%

So in summary comparing the 6-years prior to the Vic team enquiry and 2017-2022:

Making finals:
Vic teams minus 27% v Non-Vic minus 0.3%

Making PF:
Minus 47% v minus 16%

Making GF:
Minus 25% v minus 13%

Bottom 4:
Vic teams over represented by 33% v 13%

So it really is chalk and cheese. Non-Vic teams have been making finals almost precisely as their ratio’s would suggest they should in the last 6 seasons. Lending weight to my theory a general enquiry is not required … just an enquiry into non-Vic teams inability to play their best footy when it matters… finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s been some interesting posts here based on clearly minimal research, so let me assist:

2001-2006:

Making finals:

Making PF:

Grand Finals:

Bottom 4 finish:

2017-2022:

Making finals:

Making PF:

Grand Finals:

Bottom 4 finish:

So in summary comparing the 6-years prior to the Vic team enquiry and 2017-2022:

Making finals:

Making PF:
Minus 47% v minus 16%

Making GF:
Minus 25% v minus 13%

Bottom 4:

So it really is chalk and cheese. Non-Vic teams have been making finals almost precisely as their ratio’s would suggest they should in the last 6 seasons. Lending weight to my theory a general enquiry is not required … just an enquiry into non-Vic teams inability to play their best footy when it matters… finals.

It has been established on many occasions on this website that the incessant whinging and complaining by non-Vics that the vAFL isn't doing nearly enough to manufacture success for them has no basis in reality. I've learned that trying to counter them with basic facts and statistics will do nothing to counter their overwhelming conviction that they are victimised and entitled. What happens in every thread like this is
1/ They whinge that it's all so unfair
2/ Their whinging is proven to have no basis in reality.
3/ They slink away to start another thread making the same complaints and accusations.
4/ Rinse and repeat infinitely

I think the philosophy is something like "If we collectively whinge long and loud enough, the vAFL will eventually gift us the success we don't have the character and work ethic to earn ourselves".

It has been established on many occasions on this website that the incessant whinging and complaining by non-Vics that the vAFL isn't doing nearly enough to manufacture success for them has no basis in reality. I've learned that trying to counter them with basic facts and statistics will do nothing to counter their overwhelming conviction that they are victimised and entitled. What happens in every thread like this is
3/ They slink away to start another thread making the same complaints and accusations.

I think the philosophy is something like "If we collectively whinge long and loud enough, the vAFL will eventually gift us the success we don't have the character and work ethic to earn ourselves".
It's a complex, they tried to argue their leagues were on par with the VFL, then when they joined they found out just how much stronger the Vic clubs were, they need Vic players or they just can't compete.
Imagine if WA made the AFL league and there were just 2 Vic clubs in it, they wouldn't stand a chance.

You just need to look at the juniors to see the difference, that's where all the future talent comes from and it's dominated by Vics.

Port had their chance in 2020 with a weeks break and still lost to Richmond in PF at home. Then a year later had a similar opportunity and got obliterated by the Dogs.

For whatever reason multiple Vic teams in the last 15-years have been able to peak during finals, whilst barring the Eagles the non-Vic teams haven’t been able to play their best footy at the business end.

Blaming some imaginary Victorian bias is easier than looking in the mirror.

Port had their chance in 2020 with a weeks break and still lost to Richmond in PF at home. Then a year later had a similar opportunity and got obliterated by the Dogs.

For whatever reason multiple Vic teams in the last 15-years have been able to peak during finals, whilst barring the Eagles the non-Vic teams haven’t been able to play their best footy at the business end.

law of numbers
10/22 teams are victorian. so a greater likelihood of being in finals = greater likelihood of winning them.

the period where non-vic clubs were dominating was really no different than the comp is today
more non-vic sides have father sons (which was an advantage)

the only advantage left to fix is the home ground GF thing. which given it won't change from the MCG, the only option there is to stop non-vic teams playing at other grounds when in Vic and giving them maximum exposure to it
no games GMHBA, marvel, Ballarat, or even in Tassie against the hawks/roos.

I'd also argue two years of finals away from Vic and we had 2x GF's with vic teams competing.
so im not sure how much of it its ground vs. cycle.

2001-2006:

Making finals:

Making PF:

Grand Finals:

Bottom 4 finish:

2017-2022:

Making finals:

Making PF:

Grand Finals:

Bottom 4 finish:

Making finals:

Making PF:
Minus 47% v minus 16%

Making GF:
Minus 25% v minus 13%

Bottom 4:

Why dont you include 2007 to 2016?

It's a complex, they tried to argue their leagues were on par with the VFL, then when they joined they found out just how much stronger the Vic clubs were, they need Vic players or they just can't compete.
Imagine if WA made the AFL league and there were just 2 Vic clubs in it, they wouldn't stand a chance.

You just need to look at the juniors to see the difference, that's where all the future talent comes from and it's dominated by Vics.
Lol, If your league was so strong why did we lock you out of your own GF?

For 'whatever' reason just happens to coincide with your inquiry but it couldn't be a result of that though right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back