Status
Not open for further replies.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unless I’m mistaken, of our last 8 first round picks, 5 have been used on key position players. Has to be some kind of record for us.

It’s tough choosing between this and the last time we had a similar run with KPPs in the first round but I slightly favour English, Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy and Busslinger over Tim Walsh, Tom Williams, Andrejs Everitt, Jarrad Grant and Ayce Cordy.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tim Walsh & Tom Williams would of been good if not for injuries I think.

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any chance we go Hayes? I quiet like the idea off having JUH Naughton and Darcy up forward
I don't think so. I think we will have way to many defensive talls for the list right now. Even though we would need a secondary one to play alongside Buss in a few years. I think next years draft will have better defenders to pick from, and we will have more of an idea on the future of Keath, Bruce and Jones come then.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
George, Barnett, Hayes, Davey, Clarke - would be my top 5 at this point.

Would I consider trading our future second and pick ~39 to move up and get two of these players?
Yes. Trade with Bombers.
Sydney are probably most likely to trade, there would still be some good players at their pick.
Just not sure what we would give up. A future second for 27 and their future third perhaps

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Absolutely stoked with that, surely no one can complain considering it was clearly best available and clearly our biggest need.

We’ve been absolutely kissed on the dick here, we needed him badly considering Darcy goes forward and there’s no one else.

Clarke would be probably the ideal next pick, i wouldn’t want George with only 2 picks but too much of a risk when there’s other good options. Worried GWS take Clarke, other options are probably Cowan and Hayes but Hayes especially I don’t really want to partner with Buss, don’t think they suit as a pairing.

Ideally for mine Clarke and then a winger, who may be available at 38 for the wing? I’d love to trade up for GWS’ pick and take Cowan and Clarke, and bid on Davey.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Absolutely stoked with that, surely no one can complain considering it was clearly best available and clearly our biggest need.

We’ve been absolutely kissed on the dick here, we needed him badly considering Darcy goes forward and there’s no one else.

Clarke would be probably the ideal next pick, i wouldn’t want George with only 2 picks but too much of a risk when there’s other good options. Worried GWS take Clarke, other options are probably Cowan and Hayes but Hayes especially I don’t really want to partner with Buss, don’t think they suit as a pairing.

Ideally for mine Clarke and then a winger, who may be available at 38 for the wing? I’d love to trade up for GWS’ pick and take Cowan and Clarke, and bid on Davey.

Jaxon Binns was an AA winger who can push forward.

Feb 10, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can see us going for Hayes

We have lost a lot of key defenders recently.

I love Charlie Clark highlights though. But I feel like some of our existing players will step into that role very soon in either Vandermeer (have high hopes for him still), West, Garcia, McNeil and Arty Jones.

I am happy with Buss, I think we will use our two first round picks next year to get in some quality mids.

Concerned that we still need to fill holes in our wing and also a crumbing forward.

My order of preference for our next pick (#23 or whatever it is):
  1. Brayden George - we can afford to wait a year. ACL or no ACL he was not going to make any significant difference to our flag chances in 2023 (and if he was going to make that difference in 2023 if fit, WOW, what a player - he'd be even more worth waiting for!) Would have been a top 10 chance if not injured. Potential game-breaker and hard to argue he's not best available of those left.
  2. Harry Barnett - an athletic Grundy-type ruck - a good time to be grooming a replacement for English who might still be a 7 year player for us or might leave for WA in a couple of years or might retire after his next encounter with Naughton's knee. A genuine developing ruck or two (no I haven't forgotten Sam Darcy) will also mean we can't be held to ransom over contracts by Tim English's manager. Players like Barnett don't come along all that often. It's also hard to assess a developing ruck in terms of "best available" - do they use a different measure when comparing them to a 185cm midfield prospect?
  3. Charlie Clarke - a genuine goal-scoring small forward with defensive capabilities will never go astray. Not sure if he's next "best available" though.
  4. Olli Hotton - if we were seriously tossing up between a KPD and a pacy midfielder then maybe Hotton comes into calculations. I certainly wouldn't object.
  5. Lewis Hayes - there's an argument to be made for going for a second developing KPD but then is he "best available"? Or would we really be picking him because he's a need? If it's more need than best available I'd rather we aim for Van Es with our third pick.
  6. Lachie Cowan - good player, maybe close to best available but I'm worried Tassy might match our bid for him.
  7. Jakob Ryan - might be one of the best remaining players so there's that. Is he a need? Not really. Wouldn't be a wasted pick though.
  8. Jaxon Binns - if not Cowan then Binns would fill our need for a genuine hard-running wingman. Not keen on him having improvement needs in his kicking and contested work though.
There's also Davey Jr of course, so I have no problem if we bid on him. Would be a good acquisition but no doubt Essendon will match.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
  1. Brayden George - we can afford to wait a year. ACL or no ACL he was not going to make any significant difference to our flag chances in 2023 (and if he was going to make that difference in 2023 if fit, WOW, what a player - he'd be even more worth waiting for!) Would have been a top 10 chance if not injured. Potential game-breaker and hard to argue he's not best available of those left.
  2. Harry Barnett - an athletic Grundy-type ruck - a good time to be grooming a replacement for English who might still be a 7 year player for us or might leave for WA in a couple of years or might retire after his next encounter with Naughton's knee. A genuine developing ruck or two (no I haven't forgotten Sam Darcy) will also mean we can't be held to ransom over contracts by Tim English's manager. Players like Barnett don't come along all that often. It's also hard to assess a developing ruck in terms of "best available" - do they use a different measure when comparing them to a 185cm midfield prospect?
  3. Charlie Clarke - a genuine goal-scoring small forward with defensive capabilities will never go astray. Not sure if he's next "best available" though.
  4. Olli Hotton - if we were seriously tossing up between a KPD and a pacy midfielder then maybe Hotton comes into calculations. I certainly wouldn't object.
  5. Lewis Hayes - there's an argument to be made for going for a second developing KPD but then is he "best available"? Or would we really be picking him because he's a need? If it's more need than best available I'd rather we aim for Van Es with our third pick.
  6. Lachie Cowan - good player, maybe close to best available but I'm worried Tassy might match our bid for him.
  7. Jakob Ryan - might be one of the best remaining players so there's that. Is he a need? Not really. Wouldn't be a wasted pick though.
  8. Jaxon Binns - if not Cowan then Binns would fill our need for a genuine hard-running wingman. Not keen on him having improvement needs in his kicking and contested work though.
There's also Davey Jr of course, so I have no problem if we bid on him. Would be a good acquisition but no doubt Essendon will match.

Jaxon Binns is someone I'd like at our pick 39ish. I reckon he'll get through to there, and I like what he has to offer at that point in the draft.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lots of good talent still on the board.

From the players we have been linked to you’d imagine we will select one of Clarke, Cowan, Hotton, George.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good thing is that we will get one of them with our next pick.

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really like Cowan. Can see him developing into a wingman / midfielder. That booming kick and speed would look great in our side.

Why must he be from Tassie…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back