2023 Provisional AFL Draft Order (updated live throughout the season)

Remove this Banner Ad

I vaguely remember a rule where if you hold picks in the earlier round then it's fine

Like 3 2nds mean you can trade f3 and f4

1 2nd and 2 3rds mean you can trade f4

Problem is that previously it seemed like you could get permission from the AFL to trade futures just like the 4 first rounder over 4 year rule but that was disproven, so who the hell knows what the rules are 🤷

I vaguely remember a rule where if you hold picks in the earlier round then it's fine

Like 3 2nds mean you can trade f3 and f4

1 2nd and 2 3rds mean you can trade f4

Problem is that previously it seemed like you could get permission from the AFL to trade futures just like the 4 first rounder over 4 year rule but that was disproven, so who the hell knows what the rules are 🤷
briztoon remembers similar but I've been unable to dig up any reference to this caveat or previous examples of it.

so which clubs can’t trade a future first rounder next year at this stage?

Port and tigers as they traded 2 years of firsts this year, anyone else?
I mean I don't want the Tigers to trade 2024s first round but pretty sure we took 2 in 2021 so we probably could aslong as we take it in 2025 is that correct?

Brisbane trade pick 56 to Adelaide for F4 (Freo)
North Melbourne trade #59 and F2 (NM) to Adelaide for #23
North really have set themselves up well for these two drafts.
I agree and I feel like they're not done yet with 2023. It will be interesting to see if they can get another first rnd. I'm sure they will get access to the 2nd round at some point as well.

North Melbourne trade F4 (tied to Hawthorn) to Fremantle for #43

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A deal involving pick 40 for a future third-round selection from the Lions as well as a later pick in this year's draft to use on Harvey has been worked through, which would give Brisbane important additional points to match bids on father-son pair Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher.

That throws a spanner in the "Brisbane were able to trade their future fourth because they have an extra future third" theory.

That throws a spanner in the "Brisbane were able to trade their future fourth because they have an extra future third" theory.
Does it?

If you don’t meet the F1/all others rule then you’re blocked from trading future picks.

Brisbane traded out their F4 and their F1 at the same time, which either froze their ability to trade futures or they were exempt from the restriction because of the extra F3s.

They then traded in an F4 after that, meaning they now have F2, 3xF3, F4, F5 (etc) so there’s no reason why they can’t trade an F3 to North during or immediately before the draft…

They then traded in an F4 after that, meaning they now have F2, 3xF3, F4, F5 (etc) so there’s no reason why they can’t trade an F3 to North during or immediately before the draft…
Cheers, missed that extra fourth coming back in at some point so the theory remains valid.

Pick swap: Brisbane get #41, #50, #52 and #63, Hawthorn get #36 and a future 3rd round pick (WB or Melb)
Draft Night Trade 1: Brisbane and Hawthorn

Brisbane get: 41, 50, 52 and 63
Hawthorn get: 36 and F3 (tied to Bris, WB or Melb)

This F3 must be either Melbourne's, Western Bulldogs' or Brisbane's own pick - for now I'll assume it's Brisbane's.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 22.41.29.png

Last edited:
Draft Night Trade 1: Brisbane and Hawthorn

Brisbane get: 41, 50, 52 and 63
Hawthorn get: 36 and F3 (tied to Hawthorn)

This F3 must be Hawthorn's own, as they don't have any others.

View attachment 1563274

I think you've flipped it, Hawthorn are the ones getting the F3 (which could be Brisbane's, Melbourne's or the Dogs')

Pick swap: Brisbane get #40, North Melbourne get pick 63 and a F3 (Melb)
Draft Night Trade 2: Brisbane and North Melbourne
Brisbane get: 40
North Melbourne get: 63 and a future 3rd round pick (tied to Melbourne)

As before, Brisbane have traded out another of the three future 3rds that they started the night with. This one could be Brisbane's, Melbourne's or the Western Bulldogs' pick.

For now I will assume it's Melbourne's (so that you have the right number of picks in each round, even if the exact pick number is wrong).

edit: CONFIRMED (see giantroo's NMFC tweet below)

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 22.44.34.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back