The off topic thread 5.0

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I mean it says Indian Photos not Photos of Indians. Pretty sure I used that place to get my photos for my UK working holiday application and my drivers licence renewal (which was about 8 years ago)

They have come out and apologised for the sign. So they know it is poorly worded.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah I did it on the weekend too. Was pretty quick for me too.

I like that the early voting is now 2 weeks before the election and you don’t need any reason to vote early. Not that anyone ever cared if you didn’t lol. Better to get most voting eligible citizens in and done in the 2 weeks before the election, than have a mad crush on Election Day.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Ancient apocalypse on Netflix is very bloody interesting, certainly gets you thinking about our history and what we’ve been told in a different way.
The producer of that show has a history of creating a narrative, then cherry picking bits and pieces to support that narrative.

It's story telling, not history. So I wouldn't go thinking about history differently based on his documentaries.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

this can't be right Bojan KantKick
Can get to the footy and back for around $15. Most expensive fare is Melbourne to Swan Hill at $350... For a week.

Last minute tickets are always more expensive.

Also he's travelling 410km. I dont get some of his tickets either. Must be a return journey cause if you're going to London Blackfriars you dont stop at East Croydon. He split his journey up for some reason.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC

Also he's travelling 410km. I dont get some of his tickets either. Must be a return journey cause if you're going to London Blackfriars you dont stop at East Croydon. He split his journey up for some reason.
He didn't pay the direct fair. He split it up to save my money. He is saying the direct fair is crazy money.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

this can't be right Bojan KantKick
Can get to the footy and back for around $15. Most expensive fare is Melbourne to Swan Hill at $350... For a week.

Like Brades said, last minute tickets between cities are crazy money. Buy in advance and you are fine. Doesn't suit everyone as some jobs you have to travel at short notice. Examples below:
Screenshot_20221128_142025_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221128_141935_Chrome.jpg

Like Brades said, last minute tickets between cities are crazy money. Buy in advance and you are fine. Doesn't suit everyone as some jobs you have to travel at short notice. Examples below:
View attachment 1563385View attachment 1563386

Even still that’s still one massive change from here with the ticketed myki system.
From what I keep reading it seems to me the city to city rail network is far messier a setup than here.

Struggle to get my head around variable priced fares for scheduled services. Buy 1 week out or 1 hour out and the price for a seat on that train to B from point A should be the same.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
He didn't pay the direct fair. He split it up to save my money. He is saying the direct fair is crazy money.
I know but he had Gatwick to LDN Blackfriars and then East Croydon to GW on the way back. Was a weird way to do it.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Even still that’s still one massive change from here with the ticketed myki system.
From what I keep reading it seems to me the city to city rail network is far messier a setup than here.

Struggle to get my head around variable priced fares for scheduled services. Buy 1 week out or 1 hour out and the price for a seat on that train to B from point A should be the same.
Problem is there are multiple different services providers in the UK for his journey. He goes from Southern to TFL to Avanti at least. TFL is the only one that has a tap and go service, the rest you have to pay for via a ticket machine. The less regular journeys/longer journeys always charge a lot more and are subject to advance ticket rises. It's like flying on a plane basically. Might be say 300 tickets and 50 are at $50, next 50 are are 75 and so on.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

I've never needed to understand how the system works thankfully but from what I understand it is privately operated but with the government helping to set prices. As Brades said, it is similar to airline travel.

Referencing the Victorian Myki system, you can use your debit/credit card or oyster for services run by TFL and a few private operators in London and surrounding areas. Can you use your myki to get the train to Sydney or Adelaide?

The other issue here is supply and demand which is far less an issue in Australia for public transport unless things have changed dramatically back home.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
The Vic train system is so much worse than Sydney's, in almost every capacity.

I've experienced both far more times than I care to admit.

Sydneysiders often complain but I wouldn't swap it.
I got to the platform yesterday only to find out my train was only going to Essendon and I would need to get a replacement bus to Flagstaff (first stop in the loop).

A 1 hr commute to work turned into nearly 2.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I got to the platform yesterday only to find out my train was only going to Essendon and I would need to get a replacement bus to Flagstaff (first stop in the loop).

A 1 hr commute to work turned into nearly 2.
That's what I've found amazing down there. If they start running late they just completely alter the service. I can't fathom how much it'd piss me off if/when they just decide to skip your stop.

Cityrail up here, the service doesn't change if there's a delay. You still get all the same stops, just obviously delayed. Give me that any day of the week.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
That's what I've found amazing down there. If they start running late they just completely alter the service. I can't fathom how much it'd piss me off if/when they just decide to skip your stop.

Cityrail up here, the service doesn't change if there's a delay. You still get all the same stops, just obviously delayed. Give me that any day of the week.
Not on my line - maybe that's because there is no express on my line, not sure.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I'm surprised Victoria still has the myki system. Low tech stuff that Victoria only got hampered with due to corruption.

Our trains are comparable to what you would get in Egypt. They are a good match for a low tech myki.

We need high speed trains now in Vic. Ballarat to flinders in 25 minutes, Geelong 20 minutes etc means the state becomes decentralised. More people move to regional areas.

Back