The off topic thread 5.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of times in Sydney I’ve been on trains that have skipped stops to make up time. The main issue is anything beyond moderate rain causes chaos. Or the fact any incident at certain stations basically brings the entire network to a stop.

Overall it’s a pretty good service given how many people use it and the distance the network covers. The light rail has been great and hopefully the metro is a big help.

I'm surprised Victoria still has the myki system. Low tech stuff that Victoria only got hampered with due to corruption.

Myki got there in the end. After corruption in the project bidding, long delays, massive overspend, scope reduction. Pretty much a standard Chairman Dan schmozzle.

Myki got there in the end. After corruption in the project bidding, long delays, massive overspend, scope reduction. Pretty much a standard Chairman Dan schmozzle.
Except it had nothing to do with Dan Andrews considering the bidding process etc never happened under any Dan portfolio.

I remember my first experience with Myki, they attempted to fine me because my card wouldn't work on 3 different readers, plane clothed ticket inspectors and explained wtf would I buy a tourist Myki and not use it. Never got anything in the end.

Nah it was well before Andrews. My memory is hazy on it but if I recall, the company that built Oyster in London and the company that built Hong Kongs ticketing systems (considered best in class at the time) were rejected in favour of a company with no track record of having delivered ticketing systems of this kind or scale. The price was also far more expensive than other providers who had already built better systems. The key decision maker on the tender award was later found to have $150k worth of shares in the tender award winner.

Plenty of times in Sydney I’ve been on trains that have skipped stops to make up time. The main issue is anything beyond moderate rain causes chaos. Or the fact any incident at certain stations basically brings the entire network to a stop.

Overall it’s a pretty good service given how many people use it and the distance the network covers. The light rail has been great and hopefully the metro is a big help.
Really? I commuted for 10 years into the city and never once experienced this.

Wasn't so much rain as it is wind/storms. Lines always seemed to go down anytime anything decent went through.

Do agree on the light rail though, that's been great.

Wasn't so much rain as it is wind/storms. Lines always seemed to go down anytime anything decent went through.

Yeah I've never seen stops skipped to make up time.

Nah it was well before Andrews. My memory is hazy on it but if I recall, the company that built Oyster in London and the company that built Hong Kongs ticketing systems (considered best in class at the time) were rejected in favour of a company with no track record of having delivered ticketing systems of this kind or scale. The price was also far more expensive than other providers who had already built better systems. The key decision maker on the tender award was later found to have $150k worth of shares in the tender award winner.

You're right. It was mostly down to transport minister Lynne Kosky under Premier Steve Bracks. But the same incompetence continues, albeit with better PR. The Kamco consortium was awarded the $494 million contract to replace all ticketing on Victorian trains, trams and buses in July 2005. It was meant to be completed in 2007. Its total cost has been estimated at $1.5 billion. Myki only became reliable enough to switch off the old Metcard system in 2012. It was wasn't implemented on V/Line until 2014.

Both rollouts were made possible by descoping the requirements to fit the inadequacies of the system being developed. Short term tickets in Melbourne and first class upgrades on V/Line were both abolished because Myki couldn't handle them.

Then there was the Myki data breach - without any hackers being required. Data experts at CSIRO found that personal information could be obtained from the PTV dataset without expert skills or resources.

Yeah happens plenty of times. I’ve only ever been the unlucky stop missed a few times. They are generally unannounced too so you’ll always see confused people waiting at the door as the trains don’t slow down at their stop.

When there was the consistent rain in the first half of the year there were weeks where just about every day there was extended delays. Sydney trains on Twitter was trending every second day.

Yeah happens plenty of times. I’ve only ever been the unlucky stop missed a few times. They are generally unannounced too so you’ll always see confused people waiting at the door as the trains don’t slow down at their stop.

When there was the consistent rain in the first half of the year there were weeks where just about every day there was extended delays. Sydney trains on Twitter was trending every second day.
Where do you travel? In 18 years I've never experienced it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have they got trains out to the Eastern suburbs yet or still relying on buses lol

They get cancelled and skip stops all the time haha
They have the light rail. It's apparently not very good.

I'm not sure whether the metro is extending out there though.

They have the light rail. It's apparently not very good.

I'm not sure whether the metro is extending out there though.
Light rail has been decent whenever I've used it but yeah it's not the fastest.

Played a better character than Diane.
Was thinking about her over the weekend as someone who achieved stardom then fell on hard times when the limelight faded.

Just started re-watching North and South last night, albeit her character hasn’t appeared as of yet.

Jatz Bojan KantKick ??

I know the 3-footer is the one that'd have me sweating bullets. Also followed Lou long enough to know it will also be the better % option despite scaring amateurs everywhere.

Up hill all the way. Always found downhill more difficult cause the speed will ramp up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back