Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
I didn’t say Hawthorn had a bad draft. The only comment I made was that I don’t think it was nearly as good as Norths. They have a lot to be excited about with some kids that could be very exciting to watch. And you would expect that having 2 top 10 picks and another who may well have also been there if not for injury.

I’ve said it on our board. North fans should be very happy because they’re recruited a couple of potential excitement machines and will enjoy watching them play. Not sure it could have played out any better for North.

Clarkson is going to love working on the young talent they have there.
You went pretty hard at Hawthorn supporters suggesting that they were damn happy with what we’d got though. North should be happy. As should we, both got some good kids and filled some needs

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
North's draft haul was amazing.

Crows still most likely to make finals first before the other two clubs imo (I love their loaded forward line power)

I find it hard to get a realistic assement on Hawthorn,. I have the Hawks or Eagles winning the spoon next season, but it also would be foolish to underestimate Sam Mitchell (I did it many years over the years when he was a player)

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Crows still most likely to make finals first before the other two clubs imo (I love their loaded forward line power)

I find it hard to get a realistic assement on Hawthorn,. I have the Hawks or Eagles winning the spoon next season, but it also would be foolish to underestimate Sam Mitchell (I did it many years over the years when he was a player)
You’re consistent at least.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
You went pretty hard at Hawthorn supporters suggesting that they were damn happy with what we’d got though. North should be happy. As should we, both got some good kids and filled some needs
No I didn't. This is what I said in response:

"You just can't help yourself can you?

Foxfooty had every one of those kids drafted as sensational players. Comparing each one to a superstar. Comical. Hustwaite??? It's a joke right?

North did very well. I wouldn't be putting Hawthorn's draft anywhere close.

Every club has drafted players with great right-ups. Fact is most will be average footballers at best. Particularly anything above the first dozen. Add to that this was considered a very light draft, and it will look even worse for this crop.

But obviously early, however, on the surface, North had a great couple of nights."

I understand I could have been clearer when I said Foxfooty had every one of 'those' kids drafted as sensational players and comparing them to superstars. It wasn't specific to Hawthorn, it was ALL kids drafted. I said it on the Collingwood thread with 60 picks and all 60 are expected to be sensational players. Our kid apparently is like Sicily. I'd rather him be an AA :)

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No I didn't. This is what I said in response:

"You just can't help yourself can you?

Foxfooty had every one of those kids drafted as sensational players. Comparing each one to a superstar. Comical. Hustwaite??? It's a joke right?

North did very well. I wouldn't be putting Hawthorn's draft anywhere close.

Every club has drafted players with great right-ups. Fact is most will be average footballers at best. Particularly anything above the first dozen. Add to that this was considered a very light draft, and it will look even worse for this crop.

But obviously early, however, on the surface, North had a great couple of nights."

I understand I could have been clearer when I said Foxfooty had every one of 'those' kids drafted as sensational players and comparing them to superstars. It wasn't specific to Hawthorn, it was ALL kids drafted. I said it on the Collingwood thread with 60 picks and all 60 are expected to be sensational players. Our kid apparently is like Sicily. I'd rather him be an AA :)
Any of the kids drafted by anyone could be a bust, North got some nice looking kids, As did Hawthorn and Hawthorn supporters are rightfully happy as we addressed some obvious needs. Hawthorn supporters are therefore very happy with their draft haul.

Stop trying to back track now, you were trashing hawthorns draft picks like you’ve trashed every post about their youth in this thread.

Now, if people of your thinking are correct, since North for a few years now have had far and away the better youth/draft etc, surely this year they easily finish on top of the other two teams, right?

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

I don't think the Hawks will win the spoon next year. They have a good coach and a number of reasonably good key players turning 24/25 during the season on top of other senior players.
Amon, Breust, Hardwick, Jiath, Lewis, Moore, Sicily, Wingard, Frost, Reeves/Lloyd (?) are better than what West Coast and North have.
And then you have Newcombe, Maginness, Worpel, Day...

I don't see what West Coast has that is better than that group. North is a bit of an unknown with a new coach, but I think Hawthorn have a better group of 24-27 year olds.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any of the kids drafted by anyone could be a bust, North got some nice looking kids, As did Hawthorn and Hawthorn supporters are rightfully happy as we addressed some obvious needs. Hawthorn supporters are therefore very happy with their draft haul.

Stop trying to back track now, you were trashing hawthorns draft picks like you’ve trashed every post about their youth in this thread.

Now, if people of your thinking are correct, since North for a few years now have had far and away the better youth/draft etc, surely this year they easily finish on top of the other two teams, right?
I think North will finish above Hawthorn in 2 years. Not next year. I think they will play finals before Hawthorn as well.

I don't think the Hawks will win the spoon next year. They have a good coach and a number of reasonably good key players turning 24/25 during the season on top of other senior players.
Amon, Breust, Hardwick, Jiath, Lewis, Moore, Sicily, Wingard, Frost, Reeves/Lloyd (?) are better than what West Coast and North have.
And then you have Newcombe, Maginness, Worpel, Day...

I don't see what West Coast has that is better than that group. North is a bit of an unknown with a new coach, but I think Hawthorn have a better group of 24-27 year olds.

I think what hurts weaker/rebuilding teams is the extent of change and the capacity to overcome injuries, ie losing Cunnington for the entire year was brutal for us and caused a chain reaction of players changing roles that just didn't function well.

I don't know how the Hawks will go next year but losing O'Meara, Mitchell, McEvoy and Gunston will be a significant challenge. Even though big boy didn't play a lot this year, the leadership and presence is gone. I think Meek is a pretty good pickup but he will be in a new environment and it can take time for someone to adjust.

Like with all clubs near the bottom, when you get injuries there is a lot left to hope rather than expectation. I think the weaker clubs that get a better early draw with some softer opponents, can get a bit of confidence going and snag a few wins will probably hold up better.

Hawks and Crows were contesting not that long ago, we have been rebuilding for longer but the club has been Clown-Town since the tail end of Scott's reign and we have had dubious development. I am more optimistic with the coaching department so far, but realistically Clarkson needs 12 months to see what of the mid-aged group is salvageable and it will take time to turn around some of the younger guys. I am not expecting miracles in 2023, I am just hoping we can establish some proper defensive stoppage structures and have some kind of system of moving the ball out of defensive 50 and into the forward line.

I think out of the three clubs we have had the rockiest 3-4 years, Thomas, Taylor and Scott were drafted end of 2018, they had Scott for half a year in 2019, Shaw from then until end of 2020, Noble from 2021-2022 and now have Clarkson, fancy being 22 years old and on your 4th coach and we don't know for sure if it is going to be 4 or 5 until the end of the Hawthorn investigation. It hasn't been an ideal environment, not by a longshot. The shenanigans has to end and we need to start developing proper footballers.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Some bloody unreal drafts from both North & Hawthorn.

North getting in two top 5 talents & George.

Wardlaw, Sheezel & George.

all bringing something exciting, Wardlaw that tough inside mid with explosive pace, competitive nature, but also very skillful.

Sheezel that crafty xfactor forward who can play through the middle, with dazzling skill & George is similar to that in a explosive powerful fwd/mid who just makes you wanna keep your eyes on the game.

-
Hawthorn getting in two first round talents with Hustwaite aswell who was seen as a talent around 15-20.

MacKenzie, Weddle & Hustwaite.

all bring something exciting again with, MacKenzie super balanced midfielder who's a stoppage beast but is explosive and super evasive with beautiful skills.

Weddle is an absolute freak of nature being 192cm but rapid quick and a super endurance athlete, good skills, very good aerially with a great leap, nightmare matchup as a wing/mid.

Hustwaite as that 195cm big midfielder, compared to Pendlebury because he's that super composed & skillful midfielder, he's tall and has decent pace but he's just able to slow everyone else down and makes the right decisions, was one of the best contested mids in the NAB League.

-
Adelaide didn't bring in much, traded in late for Dowling who's a really good accumulator and a pretty good size and will add something to that Adelaide future midfield.

Oh what a floggish post. You'd know NOTHING about Michalanney. Sydney quite simply do not nominate players they don't absolutely rate. They called Michalanney. That says everything. Their call was not simply motivated out of spite. That'd be unprofessional, and Sydney aren't that. Along with trading in Rankine, we've done very bloody well with our picks starting at 46 beyond the Rankine trade.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's pretty hard to * up a pick 2 and 3.

North have tried very hard in the past but I can't see it happening this year.

Hopefully Wardlaw can stay cherry ripe for the rest of his career as he hasn't had much luck so far. Only thing that would hold him back is his body IMO. He has too much of an iron will and determination to not get the most out of himself. I am hoping it isn't a Nathan Freeman situation.

Sheezel is exciting. Not sure on his ceiling but I can see him becoming a Dylan Moore/Zac Bailey high half forward with his ball use delivering inside 50 and goal sense. I'm still not sold on whether he can become a full time mid which I would want from a top 3 pick but North are already heavily invested in the midfield at this stage so I doubt they wouldn't be too unhappy about having a quality forward who can score and create. If he can improve into that goal kicking mid that would be the cherry on top.

Don't know too much about Adelaide's Max but obviously they rated him high enough to match. Rankine is a whole lot of known quality that offsets the pick.

Quietly very happy with our draft. It's clear we've targeted size and speed, two areas we are sorely lacking in the middle. Will be going from having one of the smallest midfield brigades in terms of size to one of the biggest in the next few years. Only one I'm not sold on is O'Sullivan but that is because I haven't seen much vision of him. We've done pretty well late in the draft in the past so I will back in the recruitment team. Not at all unhappy about the Weddle trade, might be overs if you crunch the numbers but one in the hand is better than two in the bush. We clearly rated him highly and I'll back our recruiters in.

I don’t really understand why people keep saying “I’m not sure if Sheezel could be a full time midfielder”

Not that we will really need him there, but I imagine he plays as a high endurance high half forward in a bit of a “free role” at AFL level.

Do you have any reasoning?

He played out of the goal square because he was one of the most creative scorers at underage level this year and Sandringham had Ashcroft, McKenzie, Hotton, Clarke and Sanders to run through there.

In the one game he played in the middle this season he had 37 touches and a bucket of clearances.

It can’t be a tank thing? He runs a sub 6 minute 2km in line with Oli Hollands and is one of the genuinely elite runners of the draft pool, he finished almost half a lap clear of the top mids like Ashcroft, Mckenzie etc in the running tests.

His athletic underperformance misinformation is weird.

His agility and 2km times would place him in the top 5% of even current AFL players. His preseason speed tests have him in line with Charlie Clarke who is not considered slow…

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
It's pretty hard to * up a pick 2 and 3.

North have tried very hard in the past but I can't see it happening this year.

Hopefully Wardlaw can stay cherry ripe for the rest of his career as he hasn't had much luck so far. Only thing that would hold him back is his body IMO. He has too much of an iron will and determination to not get the most out of himself. I am hoping it isn't a Nathan Freeman situation.

Sheezel is exciting. Not sure on his ceiling but I can see him becoming a Dylan Moore/Zac Bailey high half forward with his ball use delivering inside 50 and goal sense. I'm still not sold on whether he can become a full time mid which I would want from a top 3 pick but North are already heavily invested in the midfield at this stage so I doubt they wouldn't be too unhappy about having a quality forward who can score and create. If he can improve into that goal kicking mid that would be the cherry on top.

Don't know too much about Adelaide's Max but obviously they rated him high enough to match. Rankine is a whole lot of known quality that offsets the pick.

Quietly very happy with our draft. It's clear we've targeted size and speed, two areas we are sorely lacking in the middle. Will be going from having one of the smallest midfield brigades in terms of size to one of the biggest in the next few years. Only one I'm not sold on is O'Sullivan but that is because I haven't seen much vision of him. We've done pretty well late in the draft in the past so I will back in the recruitment team. Not at all unhappy about the Weddle trade, might be overs if you crunch the numbers but one in the hand is better than two in the bush. We clearly rated him highly and I'll back our recruiters in.
The only way a team screws up a top 5 pick is that player turns out to be average or That player gets multiple injuries.

As stated at the dockers. Look at their 2009 draft. Pick 1 and 2 was Tom Scully and Jack Trengove at the demons. Pick 3 was dustin Martin at richmond.

Pick 4 for the dockers was Anthony Morabito. Had a solid debut season in 2010 then didnt play another game until 2014 due to multiple knee and leg injuries.

Pick 5 Was ben cunnington at North.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
I don’t really understand why people keep saying “I’m not sure if Sheezel could be a full time midfielder”

Not that we will really need him there, but I imagine he plays as a high endurance high half forward in a bit of a “free role” at AFL level.

He played out of the goal square because he was one of the most creative scorers at underage level this year and Sandringham had Ashcroft, McKenzie, Hotton, Clarke and Sanders to run through there.

In the one game he played in the middle this season he had 37 touches and a bucket of clearances.

It can’t be a tank thing? He runs a sub 6 minute 2km in line with Oli Hollands and is one of the genuinely elite runners of the draft pool, he finished almost half a lap clear of the top mids like Ashcroft, Mckenzie etc in the running tests.

His agility and 2km times would place him in the top 5% of even current AFL players. His preseason speed tests have him in line with Charlie Clarke who is not considered slow…

Not doubting his agility. Very evasive and smooth mover through traffic. Not doubting his endurance either and think he will be a very good modern high half forward. 20 touch 1 goal a game kind of player. Very tidy.

Maybe he's quicker than I think he is but doesn't look that way on my viewings. Quick of mind he is but I haven't really seen him use his speed to much advantage compared to some other draftees.

He'll be a very good player. I rate some other players higher than Sheezel but I think it was the best pick for North if they couldn't get their hands on a Wardlaw/Cadman combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Sheezel looks like a ripper player with the character to match and could definitely spend time in the middle. Personally would take him before Rachelle or Rankine for this reason. But come on you gotta admit that McKenzie made him look good with some beautiful delivery 😀

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh what a floggish post. You'd know NOTHING about Michalanney. Sydney quite simply do not nominate players they don't absolutely rate. They called Michalanney. That says everything. Their call was not simply motivated out of spite. That'd be unprofessional, and Sydney aren't that. Along with trading in Rankine, we've done very bloody well with our picks starting at 46 beyond the Rankine trade.
Michalanney was actually someone who slipped my mind when writing this, he's someone who will suit your backline, you needed another intercept type with Doedee and he brings that, a good size at 190cm, he's super composed and just someone you can trust with the ball at all times.

I didn't mention Rankine because he was a trade!

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Yes! Finally some one gets it. Crows were expecting us to use our 2nd F1 pick on him. So they 100% knew we were interested - we don't bid on players we don't want. Kinnear has said this a million freaking times. He has a list, and during draft night he goes down that list as the names are called off and if they are there Swans will bid - regardless of where other so called numpties have them.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes! Finally some one gets it. Crows were expecting us to use our 2nd F1 pick on him. So they 100% knew we were interested - we don't bid on players we don't want. Kinnear has said this a million freaking times. He has a list, and during draft night he goes down that list as the names are called off and if they are there Swans will bid - regardless of where other so called numpties have them.
All the draft experts on here know better than the clubs themselves

I might be missing this too, I can't recall any settled talls aside from Walker. They have a decent ruck right?
Thilthorpe, although not settled is obviously their biggest hope.

Fogarty and Butts look settled, but not sure if Murray is, while Worrell seems to have backing from Crows fans to find a spot.

I wouldn’t say they’re talls are settled just yet.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thilthorpe, although not settled is obviously their biggest hope.

Fogarty and Butts look settled, but not sure if Murray is, while Worrell seems to have backing from Crows fans to find a spot.

I wouldn’t say they’re talls are settled just yet.

Fogarty has had one good year and I am not really sold on Butts. Thilthorpe looks to be a real gem but at the moment the potential>>>.the output.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
I think the Roos have pulled away, are a length ahead as we approach the turn for the never-ending run to the finish line.

Roos do play their best footy between the months of November and February.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
If Crows roll a few good teams at home and get some momentum I could see them finishing in the 8-10 range.

Lot of good pieces, any midfielders coming through that add a point of difference?

Luke Pedlar if he can stay fit. Body has let him down so far. Potential star, left-footed goal-kicking midfielder/half forward.

Rachele and Rankine will both have midfield time this year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back